The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Hi
I'm just doing the three year course. The placement tear would be great but I've already taken a gap year so I feel like I should just get on with it now! :smile:
Only four days to go!
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Ahh ok I see =]

I know!! Exciting stuff!

You decided on any of your modules yet?
Millseyn
Ahh ok I see =]

I know!! Exciting stuff!

You decided on any of your modules yet?

Yep I think I've chosen them all now, how about you?

My list:
Soils, Land and the Environment
Hydrology
Humans and the Changing world
Earth Materials
Soils and Biogeography
Countryside and Environment

Are you doing any of those?! :smile:
Reply 4
i'm doing a 3 year envsci course as well! so excited! but havent chosen any modules yet.
Reply 5
GapYearGirl
Yep I think I've chosen them all now, how about you?

My list:
Soils, Land and the Environment
Hydrology
Humans and the Changing world
Earth Materials
Soils and Biogeography
Countryside and Environment

Are you doing any of those?! :smile:

Yeahhh Ill be doing Hydrology and Earth Materials =]
The others I'll be doing are:
Geomorphology
Climatology
And French :yep:

areithr
i'm doing a 3 year envsci course as well! so excited! but havent chosen any modules yet.

Cool :smile: Dont worry you've gotten till the 7th, I think it is, till you have to choose in that interview thing.

I recently emailed our programme director about any books needed at least for core modules, and she said she is going to send an email about suggested reading list. She told me that this book is what she recommends if you were just to buy one book. But as I said she said she will be sending an email soon (hopefully) so if you want you can wait for confirmation, because I know I wouldn't buy a £30 book on the word of someone else lool
(edited 13 years ago)
Can I genuinely say that you should all avoid Climatology like the plague?
Reply 7
Tom Gilchrist
Can I genuinely say that you should all avoid Climatology like the plague?

uh-ohhhhh why?
(edited 13 years ago)
I studied BSc Physical Geography and some of the modules are very much the same for both degrees. Climatology, if Maria is teaching it, is a struggle...
Reply 9
Yeah I think Climatology is actually an option from the Geo dept.

Thanks for the heads up, think I might look into anything else I might be interested in xD
Reply 10
And I'd just like to say that Countryside and environment involves 3 2 hour lectures on soil. Srsly who cares that much about soil?
sarCAZm
And I'd just like to say that Countryside and environment involves 3 2 hour lectures on soil. Srsly who cares that much about soil?

I also spent a considerable amount of time in soil horizons... :confused:
Reply 12
I'm doing Zoology but will probably end up taking the Countryside module. Everything (apart from the soil section!) sounds pretty interesting, and it was on my suggested list anyway!
Millseyn
I recently emailed our programme director about any books needed at least for core modules, and she said she is going to send an email about suggested reading list. She told me that this book is what she recommends if you were just to buy one book. But as I said she said she will be sending an email soon (hopefully) so if you want you can wait for confirmation, because I know I wouldn't buy a £30 book on the word of someone else lool

Brilliant, thanks for this! I wish they'd told us about the books for the core modules a bit earlier so we could buy some before we go. Never mind! :smile:
Reply 14
Varciani
I'm doing Zoology but will probably end up taking the Countryside module. Everything (apart from the soil section!) sounds pretty interesting, and it was on my suggested list anyway!

I would advice agaisnt it if its an optional? I dont remember if it was compulsory or not but..I am a zoology student and I did it and it was so....crap. I specificly did zoology so I could avoid sodding plants. turns out soil..water cycles...ohmygod so much more dull than plants. I went to the first 2 lectures on soil, realised the 3rd would be soil aswell and never went to any more of the lectures :/ I don't feel like anything was that relevant to zoology, and any thing that was was covered in ecology and or exploiters.
Reply 15
sarCAZm
I would advice agaisnt it if its an optional? I dont remember if it was compulsory or not but..I am a zoology student and I did it and it was so....crap. I specificly did zoology so I could avoid sodding plants. turns out soil..water cycles...ohmygod so much more dull than plants. I went to the first 2 lectures on soil, realised the 3rd would be soil aswell and never went to any more of the lectures :/ I don't feel like anything was that relevant to zoology, and any thing that was was covered in ecology and or exploiters.

Yeah I would give it a miss if I could see what other modules are on offer, but it only says 'and other modules from the school of biological sciences' but it doesn't list them >.<. That's why I'm hoping the modules selection interview gives you the chance to discuss them etc...

Yeah plants are sooooo boring! I couldn't stand them at GCSE and nearly died when I saw the amount we'd have to do them in A-Level too - I couldn't handle the uni level stuff! I don't want to do the human physiology module because homeostasis bores the crap outta me as well =/ yeah I'm pretty fussy!
Reply 16
Varciani
Yeah I would give it a miss if I could see what other modules are on offer, but it only says 'and other modules from the school of biological sciences' but it doesn't list them >.<. That's why I'm hoping the modules selection interview gives you the chance to discuss them etc...

Yeah plants are sooooo boring! I couldn't stand them at GCSE and nearly died when I saw the amount we'd have to do them in A-Level too - I couldn't handle the uni level stuff! I don't want to do the human physiology module because homeostasis bores the crap outta me as well =/ yeah I'm pretty fussy!

Just the same as me! **** human biology >.< But I did human phys, and hated every moment of it.
Reply 17
sarCAZm
Just the same as me! **** human biology >.< But I did human phys, and hated every moment of it.

Yeah, that's exactly why I don't want to do it! I hope I can pick some other modules though, I'd hate to be stuck with plants, soil and physiology every day!!

Latest

Trending

Trending