The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I drank lots of beer last night. I felt bad about it, so I went for a big cycle, then went to the gym, then cycled some more, and I came back feeling great.

That's self control gone wrong, guilt and weight control. Right?
Sabre
Sorry no offense I just really like 1337 sp34k and thought it would be fun to add some humour to the thread. Oh well humour is lost on the internet..

rite :cool:
Reply 22
Self discipline/control is essentially ALL it takes, the will to want to lose weight and the determination to continue. I can say this having lost 5 stone (veeery fat) over the last 2 years, however by no means was it easy, I didnt crash diet but merely gradually changed my lifestyle.

Understandably it has to be noted that not everyone can afford to or can incorporate a change in lifestyle, for many it is a routine, a rut, which is hard to get out of, the environment which they live in/have grown up in (children) makes self discipline all that bit harder. Placing considerable pressure and keep reiterating the same points (ala the "Fatty" thread) can have a derogatory effect upon someones will to lose weight.

There is no point keep droning on, using sweeping statements and labelling everyone in a collectivist sense, it is up to the individual and the individual only, every person has a different circumstance. Suggesting that "fat" people are cut off from the NHS, while paying taxes is an absolute ludicrious statement. The majority of people on here are students, do they pay taxes? No, surely looking at it from the prespective we should be cut off from the NHS... Its not going to happen.

I urge people to stop going on about "fat" and lay it to rest, cause quite simply it is becoming a bore.
JonnyB
I drank lots of beer last night. I felt bad about it, so I went for a big cycle, then went to the gym, then cycled some more, and I came back feeling great.

That's self control gone wrong, guilt and weight control. Right?

But hey, At least you're no worse off for having drank the beer :p:
Reply 24
MickG
I urge people to stop going on about "fat" and lay it to rest, cause quite simply it is becoming a bore.

A bore which is 4 pages+ and growing.
Reply 25
Think its upto 8 now :wink:
Reply 26
JonnyB
A bore which is 4 pages+ and growing.

Couldn't have put it any better myself, good man. Just to re-iterate what he just said, being overweight is an issue and therefore should be discussed.
Reply 27
Sabre
Couldn't have put it any better myself, good man. Just to re-iterate what he just said, being overweight is an issue and therefore should be discussed.

Or maybe some people just want an excuse to gun some "fatties". :rolleyes:
MickG
Suggesting that "fat" people are cut off from the NHS, while paying taxes is an absolute ludicrious statement. The majority of people on here are students, do they pay taxes? No, surely looking at it from the prespective we should be cut off from the NHS... Its not going to happen.

who said cut them off from teh NHS?
I simply said they are a ridiculous burden on the NHS and should show some social spirit and beat the bulge.
Same with smokers,
same with drinkers
(although drinking is a different case because of the self medicating phenomanon.)
Reply 29
Jamie
I simply said they are a ridiculous burden on the NHS and should show some social spirit and beat the bulge.
Same with smokers,
same with drinkers
(although drinking is a different case because of the self medicating phenomanon.)

Finally someone who shares my opinion. I think the government should produce some adverts targeting obesity much like they have produced adverts targeting smoking.
Reply 30
Sabre
Finally someone who shares my opinion. I think the government should produce some adverts targeting obesity much like they have produced adverts targeting smoking.

They've done the ones about Salt... I guess that's not fat though.
Reply 31
"Finally someone who shares my opinion. I think the government should produce some adverts targeting obesity much like they have produced adverts targeting smoking"

Sabre

(sorry i don't know how to quote)

I don't disagree with this. Surely it is the root of the problem which needs addressing though, as the old adage goes 'prevention is better than cure', to prevent people from even smoking in the first place would be better than having to make them stop. Sames goes towards obesity.

FAO Jamie, i apologise, i must have misinterpreted a post, wasn't intentionally aimed towards you either.
Jamie
Same with smokers,
same with drinkers

Bloody hell, Well im fat, smoke like a chimney, and drink at least 5/6 times a week. I guess I should just be struck of the face off this earth! :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wink: :biggrin:
Reply 33
Jamie
Same with smokers,
same with drinkers

Precisely. Now who's for campaiging to shut down S.U. bars!
And, as for your final comment - isn't that partially what B.E.D./C.O. all about?
I've been trying to eat more healthily and i've got myself doing some exercise too and in a week i've lost 4lbs. probably not much but it means something to me, it tells me if i keep up the right routine and i'm more careful i can lose the unwanted weight.
Reply 35
[QUOTE]I bet most people in this thread haven't done any of those self-harming activities as I know I haven't and none of my friends have.

Pardon me Sabre, while I bow to your superior, perfect self...SELF HARM??? My point was we are none of us perfect!!! And no, I do not class a few drunken nights etc as "self harm" I'm young, I make mistakes. Then I learn from it. So do everyone. Big deal

Grow up and accept that human beings are not governed by logic alone
Reply 36
Did the so called 'fatty' thread get deleted?
Reply 37
I think that all unfit people are a burden upon on the NHS, and should be culled. This applies similarly to those who contract a preventable ilness by way of anything other than act of god.
Reply 38
You know it's very disheartning to read things like "if you're genetically likely to be fat then that's the way you are" when you're throwing yourself behind a gym and diet routine.

Latest