The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 1
Well the grandaughter of the Duke of Beaufort is on my course. And there are very, very many rahs. Whether this is a bad thing is up for debate.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
hedfunk
Well the grandaughter of the Duke of Beaufort is on my course. And there are very, very many rahs. Whether this is a bad thing is up for debate.

out of interest, whats newcastle like for politics ? The offer confuses me aswell, AAA-ABB ?
Reply 3
alastairr
Are there many upper class people at Newcastle ? Is it true it's the new sloane University ? X

Simply put, yes. However, it would be unwise to stereotype them all. Yes, some of them love themselves and think they're God's gift but many are quite friendly and sociable. :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Crimsonchilli
out of interest, whats newcastle like for politics ? The offer confuses me aswell, AAA-ABB ?

So far, so good, you have to do 40 credits worth of non core modules, 20 of which have to be non politics related. (There's 120credits for the year, usually 10credits per semester), So I've picked up a history module and a couple of economics ones, which is pretty cool tbh.

http://nclpoladmissions.blogspot.com/ - if you go to the second page on that and scroll down, it explains the AAA-ABB thing pretty well. The guy who's blog it is, is the admissions tutor for the course.

EDIT: If you're thinking of applying that blog is very informative of the whole process.
(edited 13 years ago)
alastairr
Are there many upper class people at Newcastle ? Is it true it's the new sloane University ? X

I think people very much misunderstand the term 'sloane'.

What I think you are talking about is in fact - public school kids.

Newcastle has always attracted public school kids. I think even more so since Princess Beatrice joined.

St Andrews, Bristol and Oxford/Camb are a lot more 'sloane' though. I don't think Newcastle could ever earn their rah-ratings
Reply 6
Yes It's a good thing I do love a sloane and a rah X
Reply 7
I don't think Newcastle has anywhere near as many Rah's as it's made out to be. Either that or most people whom I interact with (In henderson hall) are the ones which are exempt from this.

Politics course is great by the way.
Reply 8
I found Newcastle very full of rahs, they usually stick together and can be found in Castle Leazes or after that Jesmond. They're not as bad as many make them out to be despite their bizarre tramp/farmer fashion sense.
Reply 9
Yes there are lots of Rahs.
Reply 10
(edited 13 years ago)
The Uni is full of rahs. Castle Leazes is where 90% of them go. Half of the ones I've met have been lovely though.
Reply 12
Original post by alastairr

Original post by alastairr

Upper class, not really.

Middle class rahs, plenty.

Not as big a deal as people make it out to be though.
Reply 13
Original post by shepstar1
Simply put, yes. However, it would be unwise to stereotype them all. Yes, some of them love themselves and think they're God's gift but many are quite friendly and sociable. :rolleyes:

Very true. There are lots of lovely ones. I've met more nice ones than stuck up ones, so I wouldn't worry.

I spoke to a boy who does politics the other day and he said they just do lots of debates and stuff. Sounds so fun in comparison to Law.

Latest

Trending

Trending