Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Games Maker 2012 Olympic Volunteers

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So applications for the London 2012 Olympics Games Maker volunteers closed today.
    Who has applied?
    • 7 followers

I was going to, but changed mind as it would cost me too much in the long run, ie hotel, food and etc.

But good luck to those who have applied
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I contemplated applying, but didn't finish it in time, and figured it would ultimately be too much of a hassle with very little return on the amount of effort I put in.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did!!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Milk monitors
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charrrrles)
    I did!!!
    wooooo!

what did you put down as where you want to volunteer?
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    I applied! I think it's a bit meh that they expected us to be free in 2012 (I don't even know what I'm doing tomorrow, let alone 2012) so I thought, I'll apply anyway and if I cant go then I'll just disappear and they'll never know who I am

I did want to do it though... just in case the world ends in 2012:ninja:
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I tried to but my 18th is in February 2012 so they wouldn't let me.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    double post
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    meeee I have! I've applied to work in the press area because I'm interested in journalism as a career and I will (hopefully) be reading English at uni at that time.

Good luck to everyone!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCrackFox)
    I contemplated applying, but didn't finish it in time, and figured it would ultimately be too much of a hassle with very little return on the amount of effort I put in.
    Pretty much this. Am definitely gonna be going down to london a fair few times during the olympics though
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Application sent in at 11:53pm, 7 minutes before the deadline!

Should be an interesting result seeing as how I was slightly intoxicated at the time. :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I applied about a month ago!

Applied for the driving, transport and logistics section as 1st preference. I just like driving, carrying people and things around, and chatting away. And I can listen to good music while at it.
    Never driven in London though :eek: scary. I did once (with a satnav), but I'm more of a Yorkshire country lane driver actually.

Then I also applied, as 2nd and 3rd choice, for IT and Technology related stuff (as I have a MSc in Computer Science). The thing is: I got a bit bored of it since I do it for a living and, for the Olympics, I'd rather be on the move driving or doing more 'active' stuff rather than closing myself in an office in front of a computer.

Also,
    I don't know what I'm going to be doing in 2 years time, I am doing a PhD and will do for the next 2/3 years here in Leeds.
    But even though I would have to pay for my journeys into London (or other venues) and sort out my accommodation (hopefully I could crash at friends'),
    I would feel very rewarded by being a (very little) part of the Olympic Games. I mean,
    think about that: a worldwide event happening on our doorstep, where to feel part of a great big family uniting all nations on Earth where, for 2/3 weeks everything is hopefully forgotten aiming for just peace and harmony. No race issues, no wars, no discrimination, just pure and healthy competition in an international brotherhood.
    I know it may not be always the case, and there are issues here and there, but the sole thought of being part of this attempt of brotherhood, well, it fills me up immensely.

We'll see what happens at the interview (hopefully in Manchester as I live in Leeds).

Good luck to everybody!

Tommaso.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HBKE1992)
    wooooo!

what did you put down as where you want to volunteer?
    Think it was event steward (I work as an event steward part time )
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i did

once in a lifetime thing really...so i thought i might as well
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why?

I find it funny that people are doing this, simply because it's really cheap labour for the Olympics people, rather than all the bull they're spouting about being part of something amazing :p:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Damn I missed the deadline

Oh well I guess I'll have to apply to the London Ambassador scheme then, at least its still officially tied to the games

However, not allowed into the olympic venues:mad:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've applied !
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dodolatex)
    Hey, I applied about a month ago!

Applied for the driving, transport and logistics section as 1st preference. I just like driving, carrying people and things around, and chatting away. And I can listen to good music while at it.
    Never driven in London though :eek: scary. I did once (with a satnav), but I'm more of a Yorkshire country lane driver actually.

Then I also applied, as 2nd and 3rd choice, for IT and Technology related stuff (as I have a MSc in Computer Science). The thing is: I got a bit bored of it since I do it for a living and, for the Olympics, I'd rather be on the move driving or doing more 'active' stuff rather than closing myself in an office in front of a computer.

Also,
    I don't know what I'm going to be doing in 2 years time, I am doing a PhD and will do for the next 2/3 years here in Leeds.
    But even though I would have to pay for my journeys into London (or other venues) and sort out my accommodation (hopefully I could crash at friends'),
    I would feel very rewarded by being a (very little) part of the Olympic Games. I mean,
    think about that: a worldwide event happening on our doorstep, where to feel part of a great big family uniting all nations on Earth where, for 2/3 weeks everything is hopefully forgotten aiming for just peace and harmony. No race issues, no wars, no discrimination, just pure and healthy competition in an international brotherhood.
    I know it may not be always the case, and there are issues here and there, but the sole thought of being part of this attempt of brotherhood, well, it fills me up immensely.

We'll see what happens at the interview (hopefully in Manchester as I live in Leeds).

Good luck to everybody!

Tommaso.
    Hey! Glad to find someone as enthusiatic as I am! I can't wait It will be an amazing experience!
    I applied for award ceremonies, opening & closing ceremonies & working in the village - I know they'll be majorly oversubscribed - but thought i'd give it a go!
    I only live 40mins away from London on the train so guess i'll be commuting every day!
    I see you're from Leeds, what's it like? I received an offer from them the other day to study Biological Sciences - can't wait!

Good Luck!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 26, 2013
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.