The Student Room Group

Why I refuse to wear a red poppy, wearing white instead

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/nov/06/iraq-prisoner-abuse-court

Evidence of the alleged systematic and brutal mistreatment of Iraqi prisoners at a secret British military interrogation centre that is being described as "the UK's Abu Ghraib" emerged yesterday during high court proceedings brought by more than 200 former inmates.

The court was told there was evidence that detainees were starved, deprived of sleep, subjected to sensory deprivation and threatened with execution at the shadowy facilities near Basra operated by the Joint Forces Interrogation Team, or JFIT.

It also received allegations that JFIT's prisoners were beaten, forced to kneel in stressful positions for up to 30 hours at a time, and that some were subjected to electric shocks. Some of the prisoners say that they were subject to sexual humiliation by women soldiers, while others allege that they were held for days in cells as small as one metre square.

Michael Fordham QC, for the former inmates, said the question needed to be asked: "Is this Britain's Abu Ghraib?"

The evidence of abuse is emerging weeks after defence officials admitted that British soldiers and airmen are suspected of being responsible for the murder and manslaughter of a number of Iraqi civilians, in addition to the high-profile case of Baha Mousa, the hotel receptionist tortured to death by troops in September 2003. One man is alleged to have been kicked to death aboard an RAF helicopter, while two others died after being held for questioning.

Last month the Guardian disclosed that for several years after the death of Mousa, the British military continued training interrogators in techniques that include threats, sensory deprivation and enforced nakedness, in an apparent breach of the Geneva conventions. Trainee interrogators were told they should aim to provoke humiliation, disorientation, exhaustion, anxiety and fear in the prisoners they are questioning.

This is an absolute disgrace. Such incidents just cross the line. We should be ****ing ashamed of our army, at least the soldiers and officers involved in these incidents.
I have a great respect for the heroes of past wars and that's part of what makes me so mad. These scum let down the whole team. It would be against one's conscience to wear a poppy after reading this.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
liar, it's because you're really a cheapskate:indiff:
but don't forget, remembrance day isn't just for the gulf war 2 but for the fallen of World War 1 and World War 2 and the falkland wars
i like to see wearing a poppy as, instead of celebrating soldiers as being heroic, but mourning their loss, a remberance of what war does

i think it's a disgrace too, but i'll still be wearing one
Unless I'm misinformed, wearing a poppy and participating in remembrance day is to pay respects to those who died in WW1, WW2 and current conflicts involving soldiers of our country.

By not wearing a poppy aren't you turning your back on ALL those who died, regardless of whether they were tainted by these interrogation methods or not?
I agree that is ****ed up and those people involved should be disciplined accordingly. But I still respect those in the army. ****, I respect anyone who actually puts their own lives on the job like that. I know I wouldn't have the guts.
Dickheads! I bet this is quite an occurence during war. On the flipside I know I'm going to get alot of hate from this but theres been people who've been captured by Muslims soldiers after their release claim how well they were treated like one of them - as its instructed in the Qur'an to do when captured a prisoner of war.
Reply 7
Remembrance Sunday is next Sunday.

I'll be wearing my poppy, i'm not wearing it now, cos it's on my scarf.

Do what you want, but also look at the majority of people who have served and fought for this country.
So, basically, because of one incident - you won't be wearing a poppy? War isn't always going to be holding hands and singing Kumbaya.
Original post by SpiritedAway
I agree that is ****ed up and those people involved should be disciplined accordingly. But I still respect those in the army. ****, I respect anyone who actually puts their own lives on the job like that. I know I wouldn't have the guts.

seconded..

I would give my life to protect what i love and if these people can potentially give up theirs for MY and YOUR liberty, freedom etc as the armed frces have over the years. Is that not worth a measley pound and a bit of plastic?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by HumanNature1992
Dickheads! I bet this is quite an occurence during war. On the flipside I know I'm going to get alot of hate from this but theres been people who've been captured by Muslims soldiers after their release claim how well they were treated like one of them - as its instructed in the Qur'an to do when captured a prisoner of war.

And, there's also been people captured by self-styled Muslims soldiers who have been beheaded in front of a camera. :rolleyes:
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
And, there's also been people captured by self-styled Muslims soldiers who have been beheaded in front of a camera. :rolleyes:

As far as I'm concerned theyre not Muslim if they dont follow the Qur'an then :wink:
Disgusting, yes. But, whether or not you wear a poppy shouldn't be based entirely upon this incident as it can't ever overrule the heroics of many who have served for this coutry.
Reply 13
Just wear a white one.
Wear a white poppy then...

edit: Great minds think alike, andyyy!
(edited 13 years ago)
How ****ing naive are you?
I don't agree with the modern day military at all. But it's remembrance of those who have died fighting bravely to keep this country as it is who I wear a poppy out of respect for. Not doing so is a disgrace.
Or would you prefer to be speaking German?
I thought this thread title said
''Why I refuse to wear a nappy'' at first.

C'mon OP these people but their lives on the line for their country,
a small donation and a piece of material is hardly worth protesting about.
Reply 18
Oh gosh more ultra liberal bull**** - damm, it's not even liberal its plain ridiculous.

Why don't you go into a combat zone, have your buddies killed and wounded and see what human nature does.

In WW2 we treated german soldiers and civilians even worse so your argument that the whole british army is 'scum' cos some squaddies were hot headed has no basis

Oh yeah, dont forget to negative rep the OP.

He creates a hate thread against ethnic minorities but then calls the british army scum. Fail fascist has failed
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
So, basically, because of one incident - you won't be wearing a poppy? War isn't always going to be holding hands and singing Kumbaya.

If it was indeed an isolated incident, then I'd agree. However, if you've been keeping up with the news, you'll realise that this was 'systematic abuse' and not just an isolated incident.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending