The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -beads-
Hey,

I have a group interview which I pretty much know nothing about at 3pm.

What can I expect in the interview?

Thanks. :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1466604

GRoup interviews are called asda magic.

More info in that post...
Reply 101
Original post by MHorman
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1466604

GRoup interviews are called asda magic.

More info in that post...

Hey, thanks! :smile:

Sounds pretty cool, what do you suggest as dress wear? Black trousers and a jumper? :smile:
:run: that's how they treat you?
Original post by -beads-
Hey, thanks! :smile:

Sounds pretty cool, what do you suggest as dress wear? Black trousers and a jumper? :smile:

Yea, smart/casual is fine...

No point turning in a suit but they won't be impressed if you turn up in ripped jeans and a t-shirt...
Original post by m00balot
No no, formal casual will do, no need for a suit or anything like that. Dress like your going for a nice night out :smile:

I had always thought one should go dressed smart to the group sessions. What did you wear, if you don't mind me asking? :redface:
Reply 105
i got a magic interview thing offered to me yesterday evening... didn't check my e-mails until today, and i've missed it! i've to phone them back at 8 o'clock to work something out, what are the chances of getting it rescheduled or have I missed out?
Original post by conway!
i got a magic interview thing offered to me yesterday evening... didn't check my e-mails until today, and i've missed it! i've to phone them back at 8 o'clock to work something out, what are the chances of getting it rescheduled or have I missed out?

I would assume you have missed out, you have effectively wasted their time, and there's a good chance they have already found anyone they need.
m00balot
x

Monkey_Maiden
x

MHorman
x

thecdon
x

whysoserious
x

Mann18
x

becca-x
x

mark1988
x

technikhil
x

DoktaUH
x

KellyWellyWoo537
x

DancinBallerina
x

street_end
x

Wanischa
x

Hey all! :smile:

I had my group interview today and I had a phonecall saying i've passed that stage and have a one-to-one interview tomorrow.

Please can tell me what sort of questions they are likely to ask and what things they want to hear for me to get the job.

Thank you for any advice you can give me from questions to clothes to anything! :smile:

I wore black trousers and a jumper today, what shall I wear tomorrow? I need to take my passport so I shall do so. Anything else?

:hugs:
Original post by FattyInNeed
Hey all! :smile:

I had my group interview today and I had a phonecall saying i've passed that stage and have a one-to-one interview tomorrow.

Please can tell me what sort of questions they are likely to ask and what things they want to hear for me to get the job.

Thank you for any advice you can give me from questions to clothes to anything! :smile:

I wore black trousers and a jumper today, what shall I wear tomorrow? I need to take my passport so I shall do so. Anything else?

Well done! ! !:biggrin:

Tbh, at my interview, the guy asked me about 3 questions about myself and then started discussing what hours i would want and that "a boy like you would be good on the chilled department"...

I got the impression that once you're through the asda magic then you're basically in...

And during the magic i said i already had a booked holiday for 8 weeks later so went spent about 10 minutes talking about that.( I was going to work as a mechanic at a bike race where Micheal Schumacher was racing,(the one where he crashed and hurt his neck))

Just go in wearing the same type thing as today and a positive attitude, the hard part should be over...
Original post by MHorman
Well done! ! !:biggrin:

Tbh, at my interview, the guy asked me about 3 questions about myself and then started discussing what hours i would want and that "a boy like you would be good on the chilled department"...

I got the impression that once you're through the asda magic then you're basically in...

And during the magic i said i already had a booked holiday for 8 weeks later so went spent about 10 minutes talking about that.( I was going to work as a mechanic at a bike race where Micheal Schumacher was racing,(the one where he crashed and hurt his neck))

Just go in wearing the same type thing as today and a positive attitude, the hard part should be over...

Thank you! :biggrin:

What questions about yourself did they ask, if you don't mind me asking? And that's all pretty amazing, no wonder they wanted to know more. :tongue:

Can you start on X number of hours and then say later in the year, you become more and more free, pick up hours? E.g. say you start on 16, 4 hour shifts, 4 times a week, and then later (from February), change those to 8 hours, once i'm more free?

I performed pretty well at the group interview; was confident, always communicating, listening, volunteered and put myself to present, took a natural lead in the products we had to advertise and I think they really liked me!

Also, are you sure I should wear the exact same thing? Yes, it was very smart, but what if they think he's poor and can't afford new clothes? :colondollar:
Thank you! :biggrin:

What questions about yourself did they ask, if you don't mind me asking? And that's all pretty amazing, no wonder they wanted to know more. :tongue:

Can you start on X number of hours and then say later in the year, you become more and more free, pick up hours? E.g. say you start on 16, 4 hour shifts, 4 times a week, and then later (from February), change those to 8 hours, once i'm more free?

I performed pretty well at the group interview; was confident, always communicating, listening, volunteered and put myself to present, took a natural lead in the products we had to advertise and I think they really liked me!

Also, are you sure I should wear the exact same thing? Yes, it was very smart, but what if they think he's poor and can't afford new clothes? :colondollar:

Tbh i can't rmemeber the exact questions, it was like 2.5 years ago.
It was probably the classic "what's your strongest/weakest quality?" and the usual interview *******s questions...

As long as you don't reply "i'm really lazy and like kiving off work to get hgih" you should be fine...

At my store i was put on a small contract and then just ask for overtime whenever i want it and it always seems to be going. I went from 7 hours a week whilst at college to 50/60+ over the holidays when i needed the money... That depends on the store/department/manager you end up with though...

And maybe not the exact same thing but same style... I turned up to my one on one interview in my motorbike gear because i had to ride there. Boots/leathers/helmet. They didn't mind...
Reply 111

TBH MHorman summed it up, just general questions to find out a little about you. The manager who interviewed me asked about what was the most recent thing I'd done to improve myself and was amused when I said I had no idea what use it would ever be :p:

Depends on the position you applied for. My current role is 2x 8hr shifts per week, but last week i worked 5x 9hr shifts.... As long as you're willing to take the hours (and the store has avaiable hours) theres nothing to stop you taking as many as you want (European Working Time directive no withstanding)

As long as you're not a mong most people will pass the Magic day :p:

Wear whatever you like, the chances of seeing the same person at the one-to-one are slim as you'll be interviewed either by a duty manager or a section leader rather than the general HR types who run the Magic sessions. For both of my interviews I went in shirt, tie and trousers, then took the tie off whilst I was doing my 30 minutes trial :smile:
Reply 112
Original post by rick_james
I would assume you have missed out, you have effectively wasted their time, and there's a good chance they have already found anyone they need.

harsh saying i 'wasted their time' - i was given 12 hours notice of the interview, not exactly my fault.

and i haven't missed out - apparently the page the e-mail links you to to book your interview, the reason there was only the one interview time up for yesterday was because i was on the later end of this week's choices, and in a few days new dates will be up and i can book it then.
Original post by DoktaUH
TBH MHorman summed it up, just general questions to find out a little about you. The manager who interviewed me asked about what was the most recent thing I'd done to improve myself and was amused when I said I had no idea what use it would ever be :p:

Depends on the position you applied for. My current role is 2x 8hr shifts per week, but last week i worked 5x 9hr shifts.... As long as you're willing to take the hours (and the store has avaiable hours) theres nothing to stop you taking as many as you want (European Working Time directive no withstanding)

As long as you're not a mong most people will pass the Magic day :p:

Wear whatever you like, the chances of seeing the same person at the one-to-one are slim as you'll be interviewed either by a duty manager or a section leader rather than the general HR types who run the Magic sessions. For both of my interviews I went in shirt, tie and trousers, then took the tie off whilst I was doing my 30 minutes trial :smile:

Thank you. :smile:

Hopefully i'll pass this one-to-one interview!

Can you tell me what the day consists of? Is there a tour? A training session? Or just an interview?

Reply 114
Hey I've just been through the goup interview, one of one interview and have been offered a job on checkouts. I have my induction tomorrow.

Was told that its a temp job, but with a very high chance of being kept on after this period.

Ensure you either have a Passport or FULL Birth Certificate ad P60, i had issues as only had a short one and no passport. Its all sorted out now, but not worth losing a job opportunity over.

Anyone else on here working in Llangefni store? (Anglesey, North Wales)
Reply 115
Thank you. :smile:

Hopefully i'll pass this one-to-one interview!

Can you tell me what the day consists of? Is there a tour? A training session? Or just an interview?

Depends on each individual store, there will definately be an "interview the person next to you" and group of 4-5 task, some stores will end it there and assess people once they've gone, some will do a store tour. There wont be any training on the Magic session though as theres no point training someone they might not take on.
Original post by DoktaUH
Depends on each individual store, there will definately be an "interview the person next to you" and group of 4-5 task, some stores will end it there and assess people once they've gone, some will do a store tour. There wont be any training on the Magic session though as theres no point training someone they might not take on.

MHorman
x

Thanks, but I had already done that bit. :tongue:

Had my one-to-one interview today, went quite well right until the end (get to that in a min) but I PASSED! :biggrin:

My application cycle was something like:

Saturday - Apply online
Tuesday - Group interview
Wednesday - individual interview
Coming saturday - some welcome day?

My first job, ever, and the whole process, from applying to double interview to welcome day in a week... :eek:

Right, the one-to-one interview itself was just standard routine questions. I answered every single question really well, linked them to past experiences but then the final question, which I was expecting to be my weak point, made the person think twice. I'm 18 years old, have 11 GCSE's, 6 A-levels but... NO retail experience! So whilst he was smiling all the way through my interview, after the last question he asked "Any questions?" I asked one, and then he said... "If you are successful...blah blah." I knew exactly why he said that, I was the youngest applicant, some people had grey hair! And yeah... I had no experience at all.

Anyway, he put me on the checkout and asked a member of staff to monitor me. I got it straight away (I do learn things quite quickly, thankfully otherwise that was my chances gone :tongue:) and yeah... he came back later to collect me but I was still working, I didn't even notice him, I was actually enjoying it. He asked me how it was, I said I loved it and sounded really enthusiastic (I did actually enjoy it, I didn't just say it :rolleyes:) and yeah, he took my back upstairs and said you've passed the one-to-one interview! :woo:

So, now is some Welcome day or something on Saturday, it's casual dress, so jeans and a t-shirt, and it's just guna be ASDA policies and health and safety videos as far as im aware, anything else? I'm a Christmas temp atm, so i'll have to leave in January if no vacancies are there or the seasonal people come back, do they usually? I want to keep the job until September, when i'll be heading off to university in a different city. What's the chances of me keeping it?

Thanks for all the help guys, I love you! :hugs:
Thanks, but I had already done that bit. :tongue:

Had my one-to-one interview today, went quite well right until the end (get to that in a min) but I PASSED! :biggrin:

My application cycle was something like:

Saturday - Apply online
Tuesday - Group interview
Wednesday - individual interview
Coming saturday - some welcome day?

My first job, ever, and the whole process, from applying to double interview to welcome day in a week... :eek:

Right, the one-to-one interview itself was just standard routine questions. I answered every single question really well, linked them to past experiences but then the final question, which I was expecting to be my weak point, made the person think twice. I'm 18 years old, have 11 GCSE's, 6 A-levels but... NO retail experience! So whilst he was smiling all the way through my interview, after the last question he asked "Any questions?" I asked one, and then he said... "If you are successful...blah blah." I knew exactly why he said that, I was the youngest applicant, some people had grey hair! And yeah... I had no experience at all.

So, now is some Welcome day or something on Saturday, it's casual dress, so jeans and a t-shirt, and it's just guna be ASDA policies and health and safety videos as far as im aware, anything else? I'm a Christmas temp atm, so i'll have to leave in January if no vacancies are there or the seasonal people come back, do they usually? I want to keep the job until September, when i'll be heading off to university in a different city. What's the chances of me keeping it?

Thanks for all the help guys, I love you! :hugs:

Not bad, mine was

Wednesday afternoon : apply
Thursday: ring up and ask about application
Friday: Asda magic in the morning, and within 10 seconds of getting home phone rings and i get one to one interview, then within about 30 seconds of getting home phone call i got the job,
Saturday: 9am, started training..

When i joined i was 16 but there was a load of 16/17 yr olds there during training etc. I wasn't even the youngest, as i was nearly 17...

Yea, be prepared for a few boring days of videos/talks etc... But you do get paid full rate of pay whilst you're there training... I worked out that i got paid about £150 for my training.:smile:(I worked it out during the training, it's VERY slow, imagine 1 lecture worth of uni stuff spread out over about 3 solid 9-5 days)

There's a loading of filling in forms and signing stuff as well...

Tbh, once they've trained you thay've basically invested money in you so it's worth there time/money to get you back instead of paying to train someone new... Normally if you do a good job you'll be offered more hours...
Reply 118
I have the induction day next Tuesday, I have been told to expect lots of health and safety stuff.

I'll be working in checkouts, does anyone know how they specifically train you for that and for how long? Will I have to do other stuff aswell?
Original post by naomaccia
I have the induction day next Tuesday, I have been told to expect lots of health and safety stuff.

I'll be working in checkouts, does anyone know how they specifically train you for that and for how long? Will I have to do other stuff aswell?

Yea, be prepared for ages of being told stuff/watching videos etc... Very boring...

Yea, "till training" is about half an hour to an hour, first somoene will show you the basic buttons and then let you have a go for a while... You will screw up and hit the wrong buttons in the wrong order but don't worry, you're allowed, you're new...

And yea, there will probably be other basic "this is how to put stuff on a shelf" training and "this is how to make a shelf look nicer" training...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending