The Student Room Group

Why I disagree with Help for Heroes

Basically, I just wanted to see if my opinion is, in fact, completely ludicrous, or if it bares credence. By nature, I am far-left in ideology, however my peers find my discussion of this topic "disgusting".

So, why do I disagree with this appeal? Foremost, I believe that anyone who joins this war condones it. Secondly, if one man is to kill another, regardless of circumstance, I see him only as a murderer. Finally, the State sends these people to war, the State should ensure they are comfortable in return for their compliance and effort.

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If the money wor gewin to them though it would be gewin to asylum seeker houses and stuff.
Original post by Glenbot3000
the State should ensure they are comfortable in return for their compliance and effort.

Yeah, the should. but they don't. hence the existence of help for heroes.
Basically, I just wanted to see if my opinion is, in fact, completely ludicrous, or if it bares credence. By nature, I am far-left in ideology, however my peers find my discussion of this topic "disgusting".

So, why do I disagree with this appeal? Foremost, I believe that anyone who joins this war condones it. Secondly, if one man is to kill another, regardless of circumstance, I see him only as a murderer. Finally, the State sends these people to war, the State should ensure they are comfortable in return for their compliance and effort.

Discuss.

I just wanted to warn you my friend, pretty soon you will probably be ripped apart by a storm of hate from some TSR members. If I were you, I'd hide, lol:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by colin4president
Yeah, the should. but they don't. hence the existence of help for heroes.

If the money donated to Help for Heroes and other similar organisations was put into groups designed to pressure the government, we would have a State solution by now.
Reply 5
Original post by Lewroll
I just wanted to warn you my friend, pretty soon you will probably be ripped apart by a storm of hate from some TSR members. If I were you, I'd hide, lol:smile:

Ahaha, I'm aware of the Nationalist undercurrent apparent on TSR. Don't worry.

Discuss.

Original post by Lewroll

Hi :biggrin:

I'm one of them....but I'm in a very good mood, so I'll be nice...

although I agree with you in some form, help for heroes shouldn't exist....because the state should provide the full support, financially, medically and socially etc.

however it doesn't...this is why help for heroes exists...

it also does a lot more than you hear about....so why not research it before you decry one of the most worthwhile and honourable charities in the country.....
I would like to stress that "Help for Heroes" is a charity and is NOT government run! They should not be affiliated with govt motives such as War. As in fact they do the opposite of promoting War this is clear. I am against the War in Afganistan but this is issue against Govt not charity!
Reply 8

Discuss.

I competely agree with you. Whilst I do feel for those injured whilst in battle they should never have been there in the first place. What gives Britain the right to decide we need to 'fix' other countries, it's not like we are perfect ourself.
Reply 9
Because it is giving extra help to those who have died for this country.

You might not believe in a country and its inherent culture, but humans are by nature pack animals that want to distinguish themselves into groups. These people put their lives down to ensure we have a free and democratic society. The only reason you can say what you like is because of them and the people before them, without them you would not even be born as you are today.

Help for heroes gives these people the life they deserve, especially if they have been wounded or maimed in battle. They DESERVE it, because what they do is leaps and bounds beyond being a binman, it doesn't means the binman less valuable to society, but it means one is putting their lies on the line and the other is not. One runs the risk of coming back broken because some extremist ***** in some part of the world want to inflict pain on us, and we are going to defend ourselves, and rightly so...
EDIT : what the hell is with the negs? Can't argue back you tossers? :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
katt-x

We are a country that prides itself on having a level of freedom. Oppression is pain, and pain inflicted for no reason is wrong. Its not about perspective, it is barbaric, and the innocent should be protected. That includes both innocents in our country and innocents in the other.
Reply 11
Original post by infernalcradle
it also does a lot more than you hear about....so why not research it before you decry one of the most worthwhile and honourable charities in the country.....

But the fundamental still remains that they are supporting people who are illegally invading countries abroad to the general discontent of their country and murdering their civilians.
Reply 12
Original post by Ocassus
We are a country that prides itself on having a level of freedom. Oppression is pain, and pain inflicted for no reason is wrong. Its not about perspective, it is barbaric, and the innocent should be protected. That includes both innocents in our country and innocents in the other.

Don't get me wrong, I have the upmost respect for people that do go out to places like Afganistan, and I know the theory behind why we are there. But what good has it really done? From what I can tell there seems to be no real sign of improvement... instead more innocent people are being left injured or worse.
Reply 13
Original post by Ocassus
The only reason you can say what you like is because of them and the people before them, without them you would not even be born as you are today.

One runs the risk of coming back broken because some extremist ***** in some part of the world want to inflict pain on us, and we are going to defend ourselves, and rightly so...

It is for that point I didn't attack the Poppy Appeal. H4H has been described to me - and correct me if I'm wrong - as support for soldiers injured during current conflicts. The last justified war, in my opinion, was the suppression of Nazi Germany. These are the people who deserve true sympathy.

And it is up to us to extend a moral and democratic olive branch, instead we drive our bayonets deeper into the hearts of developing countries.

Original post by Ocassus

And the pure fact is that civilians on both sides aren't being protected.
Reply 14
Don't donate then. :indiff:
Reply 15
Original post by EskimoJo
Don't donate then. :indiff:

congrats.
Reply 16
So, why do I disagree with this appeal? Foremost, I believe that anyone who joins this war condones it. QUOTE]

Utter bull****. Those who join the war who condone it?? Thats very untrue. My best friends boyfriend who died in august out there did NOT agree with the war or condone it at all!!! Same for many other soldiers. But it is a JOB and in a job you do what is required of you, whether it be serving in cyprus, this country, germany or afghan, you obviously know NOTHING about real soldiers.
Reply 17
[QUOTE="Allyx;28628676"]
So, why do I disagree with this appeal? Foremost, I believe that anyone who joins this war condones it. QUOTE]

Utter bull****. Those who join the war who condone it?? Thats very untrue. My best friends boyfriend who died in august out there did NOT agree with the war or condone it at all!!! Same for many other soldiers. But it is a JOB and in a job you do what is required of you, whether it be serving in cyprus, this country, germany or afghan, you obviously know NOTHING about real soldiers.

Godwin's Law strikes again, but I'm sure many SS servicemen said the same thing.
Reply 18
I don't know what Godwins Law is,sorry.
Reply 19

Discuss.

They don't decide you ****ing idiot. Once you're in the army you have no choice. And if you say 'well they should not join then' then you truly are an imbecile. Do you honestly think our country would be fine without any armed forces?

Latest