The Student Room Group

The English 2011 Applicants' Offers / Rejections / Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noraaa
I need help!

I received an e-mail saying I have an interview for English at UCL on the 8th of December and it clearly stated that if I can't make it, I have to let them know so that they can "give another applicant the opportunity of an interview". BUT, I got a letter from Oxford yesterday saying that I have an interview there from the 6th - 8th of December. I don't have a clue what to do, because it would seem that UCL have done this on purpose (seeing as the Oxford interviews are about the same time every year). Does anyone else have this predicament? I assume there must be lots of people in the same boat...!

:smile:Don't panic, just give them a call and ask about alternative dates, congrats on getting these two interviews. I have an interview in Cambridge on 8/12, still waiting on UCL, do you mind me asking when the let you know about the interview and was it letter or email.

Good luck!
Got an interview at Worcester College, Oxford for English a week on Monday
yaaaaaaaaaay happy times :smile:

Still waiting on Leeds, York and Warwick

Offer from Surrey ABB :smile:

xx
Reply 902
Original post by Blondshavemorefun
:smile:Don't panic, just give them a call and ask about alternative dates, congrats on getting these two interviews. I have an interview in Cambridge on 8/12, still waiting on UCL, do you mind me asking when the let you know about the interview and was it letter or email.

Good luck!

I got an e-mail on the 19th of November, and then a letter saying the same thing the following week. :smile: Fingers crossed you'll hear soon! I'm going to phone them tomorrow and just hope that they are understanding. I'm guessing they must interview on more than one day, I've heard they interview around 300 applicants- surely they can't all be on the 8th?!

Thanks for your help!
Reply 903
Original post by noraaa
I need help!

I received an e-mail saying I have an interview for English at UCL on the 8th of December and it clearly stated that if I can't make it, I have to let them know so that they can "give another applicant the opportunity of an interview". BUT, I got a letter from Oxford yesterday saying that I have an interview there from the 6th - 8th of December. I don't have a clue what to do, because it would seem that UCL have done this on purpose (seeing as the Oxford interviews are about the same time every year). Does anyone else have this predicament? I assume there must be lots of people in the same boat...!

Hey! My friend linked me this because I'm in the exact same boat as you, I have Oxford from the 5th to the 8th and UCL on the 8th. I haven't decided which Uni I prefer yet so I really want to go to both interviews and not try and wiggle the dates in case it annoys them. :s-smilie:
What time is your UCL interview? Mine's not til 12:50, and hopefully my Oxford will be done at 10:00 so it's doable to get from Oxford to London in time (hour from Oxford to paddington then 10 minutes ish on the tube).
It's a bit of a risk if Oxford ask me to stay longer but if you check your times you might be able to make it :biggrin: You might even get the same train as me in the end :biggrin: Good luck with your interviews!
Reply 904
Ahhh you're all so lucky with your interviews, UCL is being slow with me. Just tell me if I'm rejected already, the wait is agonising!
Reply 905
Original post by Yunna123
Ahhh you're all so lucky with your interviews, UCL is being slow with me. Just tell me if I'm rejected already, the wait is agonising!

With the buckets of people that UCL have already rejected, be pleased that you haven't heard anything yet.
Original post by noraaa
I need help!

Just ring UCL and say you have a school/family event on the 8th, is there any way you can have an alternative date. They can't see your other choices so will have a no idea this is a lie. im sure lots of people are in the same boat! good luck!
Reply 907
Just ring UCL and say you have a school/family event on the 8th, is there any way you can have an alternative date. They can't see your other choices so will have a no idea this is a lie. im sure lots of people are in the same boat! good luck!

I'm sure they'll suspect a lie if more than a few people use this excuse - or any excuse. They're not stupid, they will know that Oxford will be interviewing on that day too. It's a pretty good tactic to squeeze out the dedicated applicants, I guess - those that choose UCL over Ox. But I doubt there's much use in covering up the fact that you have another interview on that day... if you look like an Oxbridge candidate they'll assume you're there.
i'm predicted 3 a*s but i was just wondering whats the point in them? the highest offer i'll be given is AAA anyway. are a levels looked at when you apply for a job or anything like that? because at the moment im really not seeing the point..
Reply 909
Original post by awe
I'm sure they'll suspect a lie if more than a few people use this excuse - or any excuse. They're not stupid, they will know that Oxford will be interviewing on that day too. It's a pretty good tactic to squeeze out the dedicated applicants, I guess - those that choose UCL over Ox. But I doubt there's much use in covering up the fact that you have another interview on that day... if you look like an Oxbridge candidate they'll assume you're there.

Hmm, I'd say if that is the reasoning behind it, then it's quite a short-sighted strategy. Someone isn't necessarily going to be any less keen on UCL because one of their other choices is Oxford, which causes a clash in interview dates, rather than, say, Durham, where the interview thing wouldn't be an issue (or indeed Cambridge, which interviews on a different date).:erm:
They probably just didn't pay any attention to Oxbridge interviews at all and simply chose a date which was convenient for them.
Reply 910
Original post by Tomrawr
Hey! My friend linked me this because I'm in the exact same boat as you, I have Oxford from the 5th to the 8th and UCL on the 8th. I haven't decided which Uni I prefer yet so I really want to go to both interviews and not try and wiggle the dates in case it annoys them. :s-smilie:
What time is your UCL interview? Mine's not til 12:50, and hopefully my Oxford will be done at 10:00 so it's doable to get from Oxford to London in time (hour from Oxford to paddington then 10 minutes ish on the tube).
It's a bit of a risk if Oxford ask me to stay longer but if you check your times you might be able to make it :biggrin: You might even get the same train as me in the end :biggrin: Good luck with your interviews!

I'm exactly the same - genuinely don't know which uni I prefer, and really want to be able to interview at both! Problem is I've been asked to get to UCL for 10am, so it'd be a bit more difficult for me...
My plan was to ring UCL today and see if there're any alternative dates/any chance that I could interview at another time, but they aren't answering the phone! Have you applied to do English? Which college? :smile: I'm so glad someone is in the same situation as me, I feel so confused! Hope all goes well for you. Good luck!
Reply 911
Original post by Silver Swallow
i'm predicted 3 a*s but i was just wondering whats the point in them? the highest offer i'll be given is AAA anyway.

It does depend where you're applying - Cambridge's typical offer is A*AA, but AFAIK they're the only one. Plus some unis this year (I think Sussex?) are giving out AAB/A*BB offers...

Original post by Silver Swallow
are a levels looked at when you apply for a job or anything like that?

Depending on the job but I think they are, yeah, seeing as loads of people have a first/2:1 at degree level.
Offer from Goldsmiths AAB!

Just waiting for the big boys now!
Anyone got York offers yet? Or warwick interviews?
the tension=killing me!
:awesome:
Hey
York hasn't got back to anyone yet as far as I know

And I'm also waiting on Warwick but absoultely bricking it, think they've only got back to the Meds and Maths people...

Rejection from UCL so far, and offer from UEA, but wish I didnt apply to highly now...Thinking I was punching above my weight especially as all my friends have 3 and 4 offers from Southampton, Sheff, Manchester, Liverpool etc
Wish I applied to more like that!!!
:frown:
Reply 915
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
Offer from Goldsmiths AAB!

Just waiting for the big boys now!

awh wow congrads! how long did it take for them to give you an offer :tongue: ?
Original post by nerd123
awh wow congrads! how long did it take for them to give you an offer :tongue: ?

Cheers. :smile:
My ucas was processed on the seventeenth
and the letter was sent on the twenty fifth,
so reasonably quickly. :smile:
Reply 917
Original post by yellow stars
Anyone got York offers yet? Or warwick interviews?
the tension=killing me!
:awesome:

Hey, I have a York offer :smile: Sent my app' off on the 14th of October, got the offer 10th of December.
Original post by happybee33
Hey
York hasn't got back to anyone yet as far as I know

And I'm also waiting on Warwick but absoultely bricking it, think they've only got back to the Meds and Maths people...

Rejection from UCL so far, and offer from UEA, but wish I didnt apply to highly now...Thinking I was punching above my weight especially as all my friends have 3 and 4 offers from Southampton, Sheff, Manchester, Liverpool etc
Wish I applied to more like that!!!
:frown:

I and a few others on here have offers from York :smile: I'm waiting on Warwick too though. I really hope we get a reply before Christmas! Well done on your UEA offer!
Reply 919
Original post by noraaa
I need help!

Same here! It's pretty frustrating, huh. I'm hoping my interview ends on the Tuesday, so I make a mad dash and reach UCL in time. Failing that, I am fully prepared to whack out the most outlandish excuse known to man.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending