The Student Room Group

Unsuccessful PGCE applications

I was unsuccessful with my first choice. Fingers crossed for the second choice! I've emailed for feedback but none given yet. Anyone else had any feedback? Would be interesting to know what reasons people are being turned away for.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emma_clare

I was unsuccessful with my first choice. Fingers crossed for the second choice! I've emailed for feedback but none given yet. Anyone else had any feedback? Would be interesting to know what reasons people are being turned away for.

My feedback last year was more annoying than anything else, as they told me that my interview had been excellent with nothing I could have done to improve and the decision was purely down to numbers. As they had so few places available (it was in Scotland) they gave priority to people who had finished their degree and could be given unconditional offers then told me they were sorry and to reapply next year.

I would have preferred it if they told me I was awful as then that's a real reason for not getting in! Then I got rejected from my other choice as my degree wasn't a NC subject (which wasn't an entry requirement) but they were getting rid of people that way, again due to numbers.
Reply 2

Hi, Sorry to hear you were not successful. I have my inetrview a week on Tuesday and I'm not sure what to expect as it is a group interview. Can I ask what sort of things you had to do at the interview and how much experience do you have in a school as I don't have any as yet!!
Reply 3
unsuccessful from first choice received today (no interview!!) :frown:
Reply 4
I was rejected by my first two choices but I've got an interview at my third choice (Nottingham) on Wednesday!

:biggrin:
Reply 5
I just had an unsuccessful for man uni, with no interview :frown: gutted.x
Reply 6
Original post by ginab1989
I just had an unsuccessful for man uni, with no interview :frown: gutted.x

Hey sorry to hear that! I was also rejected from my first choice with no interview, it sucks many amounts! Did you get any feedback? I emailed and hope to get feedback soon!
Reply 7
how quickly did you all find out about whether you were accepted or declined a place?

Commiserations to those who didn't get in, but think how prepared you'll be for next year!
Reply 8
got feedback today from my first choice after the rejected me 3 weeks ago. its basically put in my mind that all ive done is set myself up for 4 rejections this year. trying to think up a back-up plan but all i feel like i'd rather do is just crawl into bed and wait for everything to go away! :frown:
Reply 9
hey, don't feel like that! The point of feedback is so you can try and improve on it for next time, so while it may seem disheartening now, you should steel yourself and think about how you're going to improve upon it.

It's certainly not the end of the world if you haven't been accepted by anyone this year, there is plenty of time in life and what's a year anyway.
Reply 10
Hey, know how you feel after a rejection from my 4th choice. Felt like I'd been stitched up by my school for steering me down their choices for A levels then not predicting A*s even though Im pretty hopeful. The upshot is that I have an interview for my first choice which is an Oxbridge so from being suicidal two weeks ago things are looking up. Different uni's want different things.Is there someone you can talk to at your school? What about the rest of your choices?
Where do you think you went wrong? Statement, grades, A levels? :s-smilie:
I got my feedback from my first choice, they received 10 applications for every place and my degree classification isn't high enough so they can't consider me :cry: thing is it's not going to change! I'm redoing my gcse maths and english to get better grades in them, I'm trying to get experience so surely those two things would outweight my degree classification? I've emailed the open university as they do credit transfer, considering doing English Literature. I did Film Production at uni, and I had a look to see if I can transfer credits from my completed studies and it seems it may be possible, the maximum would be 240 credits, leaving 120 for me to complete. I've emailed OU to see if this will be possible as it will only be 2 modules and if it will allow me to get a desirable grade.. As I want to teach Film and Media Studies but I'll be applying with an OU BA in English Literature, would it be best for me to apply next year for a PGCE in Secondary English instead of Art and Design as I have done this year? And I'll have the English gcse requirement to apply for Central (Media Studies, Secondary) which I couldn't do this time around..

Arrrghh it's so hard to work out my options :frown:

Original post by angelofmel
got feedback today from my first choice after the rejected me 3 weeks ago. its basically put in my mind that all ive done is set myself up for 4 rejections this year. trying to think up a back-up plan but all i feel like i'd rather do is just crawl into bed and wait for everything to go away! :frown:

I felt like that after my feedback today, got 3 other choices but no doubt they will reject me for the same reason! Feel like giving up for the year and trying again next year or even the year after, don't know why I set myself up for such rejection :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Just checked track. It says Goldsmiths Lower Primary course is full! How is that fair?
Original post by pansypotter
Just checked track. It says Goldsmiths Lower Primary course is full! How is that fair?

Isn't it a day until the Primary deadline :s:

that's quite harsh :s-smilie: unless they have some reason to put that but they are still accepting people?
Yep deadline is tomorrow! I have no idea what their reasoning is. :/ eek. That leaves me with half a chance now :frown:
Reply 15

G56 - Goldsmiths, University of London
Lower Primary Vacancies

???

i'd ring up gttr and make sure they've got that right!
Yeah definitely going to ring up tomorrow as it seems as if they have now sent my application to Greenwich! (2nd choice) Gawd nothings been easy with this application I tell ya!
Yeah definitely going to ring up tomorrow as it seems as if they have now sent my application to Greenwich! (2nd choice) Gawd nothings been easy with this application I tell ya!

Good Luck! Hoping it's just a mistake on there and they can fix it for you! :hugs:
Original post by aleathiel
I got my feedback from my first choice, they received 10 applications for every place and my degree classification isn't high enough so they can't consider me :cry: thing is it's not going to change! I'm redoing my gcse maths and english to get better grades in them, I'm trying to get experience so surely those two things would outweight my degree classification? I've emailed the open university as they do credit transfer, considering doing English Literature. I did Film Production at uni, and I had a look to see if I can transfer credits from my completed studies and it seems it may be possible, the maximum would be 240 credits, leaving 120 for me to complete. I've emailed OU to see if this will be possible as it will only be 2 modules and if it will allow me to get a desirable grade.. As I want to teach Film and Media Studies but I'll be applying with an OU BA in English Literature, would it be best for me to apply next year for a PGCE in Secondary English instead of Art and Design as I have done this year? And I'll have the English gcse requirement to apply for Central (Media Studies, Secondary) which I couldn't do this time around..

Arrrghh it's so hard to work out my options :frown:

I felt like that after my feedback today, got 3 other choices but no doubt they will reject me for the same reason! Feel like giving up for the year and trying again next year or even the year after, don't know why I set myself up for such rejection :frown:

It depends on who they've got applying. If the candidates all look fairly similar, they have to find some way of distinguishing them, so that uni obviously used degree classification unfortunately... Don't give up hope tho :smile:
Original post by aleathiel
Good Luck! Hoping it's just a mistake on there and they can fix it for you! :hugs:

Thank you aleathiel. :smile: I've finished flapping now, can only wait and see what they'll say tomorrow!

Sending you luck for your second choice! :h: Fingers firmly crossed for all of us!

Quick Reply

Latest