The Student Room Group

What is a multidisciplinary team meeting?

Hi, I was wondering what a Multidisciplinary meeting is? Do they discuss things like events that have happened in another hospital and try to apply what they have learnt to the care that they provide for patients? or do they discuss things like intending to remove a gasonastric tube from an elderly patient , and wheher or not they should do this?
I f you can could you provide an example of something that is discussed in a MDT..
Thank you very much! xx
Reply 1
Original post by redgirl123
Hi, I was wondering what a Multidisciplinary meeting is? Do they discuss things like events that have happened in another hospital and try to apply what they have learnt to the care that they provide for patients? or do they discuss things like intending to remove a gasonastric tube from an elderly patient , and wheher or not they should do this?
I f you can could you provide an example of something that is discussed in a MDT..
Thank you very much! xx

The one's I've seen have been discussing patients with new cancer diagnoses (or recurrences) and how best to manage them

btw, probably not a good idea to talk about gasonastric tubes given they don't exist :wink:
Original post by redgirl123
Thank you very much! xx

MDTs can either be about joining up different specialties - e.g. Breast Cancer MDTs will go through the week's cases and have a contribution from the surgeons, radiologists, and pathologists with the combination determining which treatment is appropriate;

or about joining up the different professions involved in a patient's care; e.g. medical inpatient MDTs will include doctors, nurses, social workers, physio\occupational therapy, and so on. The kinds of decisions will be more like your second example - the major topic is usually whether a patient can be discharged from the hospital, and where to. Psychiatric outpatients tend to be discussed in an MDT setting because they may see several professionals in addition to their consultant.

I haven't been to any MDTs which fit your first example, though obviously that kind of knowledge or experience might inform someone's contribution. Most departments or firms will have some kind of regular journal club or departmental seminar where people will take it in turns to present relevant research which might change people's practice.
What is a multidisciplinary team meeting?

usually a load of ****.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending