The Student Room Group

Travel buddy wanted for South America Spring/Summer 2011

Hi there!

I'm an 18 year old gap year student looking for one or more travel buddies. My situation is I have been in the process of planning some travelling a few times in the last 6 months and the other people had to drop out for various reasons.

I was thinking about going to South America maybe in Easter for about 4 months or until the money runs out. I'm busy working until April but after that I'm free. I am also flexible to suggestions and other ideas too.

I'm looking for people who are;
Easy going, fun, perhaps in a similar situation as me and reliable.

I haven't backpacked before but I'm friendly, laid back, have a good sense of humour and a decent amount of common sense.I'm from London but willing to travel to meet up and make arrangements.

Get in touch.....

Andy
Reply 1
Original post by andrewdrharris
Hi there!

I'm an 18 year old gap year student looking for one or more travel buddies. My situation is I have been in the process of planning some travelling a few times in the last 6 months and the other people had to drop out for various reasons.

I was thinking about going to South America maybe in Easter for about 4 months or until the money runs out. I'm busy working until April but after that I'm free. I am also flexible to suggestions and other ideas too.

I'm looking for people who are;
Easy going, fun, perhaps in a similar situation as me and reliable.

I haven't backpacked before but I'm friendly, laid back, have a good sense of humour and a decent amount of common sense.I'm from London but willing to travel to meet up and make arrangements.

Get in touch.....

Andy

Sounds awsome. I tried getting some mates to do back packing in Europe but i had the same problems as you. :frown: How come you want to go to Latin America, general fascination or ...?
Reply 2
Well I spent 2 weeks in Buenos Aires last xmas and it was amazing. The things to see are incredible, Inca ruins, the salt plains of Bolivia and jungles and huge waterfalls but also the night-life is mental, and its something different that not so many people do on their year out.
Reply 3
Hey Andy,

I'm 19 from London and on a gap year too. I'm also looking for a travel buddy for spring/summer 2011. I was also looking to go travelling with a friend, but I really shouldn't rely on that person as they do not seem as enthusiastic and passionate for this travelling experience as I am.

Places I am hoping to travel to is South America (bonus for u :-p ) and North Africa - volunteer work. Have been 'shopping' around for what different companies have to offer and found affordable trips on originalvolunteers.co.uk. You should check it out :smile:. Places that caught my eye are Morrocco and paraguay. I pretty much like the offer on Brazil but due to popularity everyone has grabbed all the places :frown:.

If you would like to get in contact with me you can find me on fb. (and leave me a message so I know its you from the student room).

Thanks, Sharon x
(edited 13 years ago)
Alright Guys!

I'm on a gap year at the moment and I'm currently on the Island of St Helena and I'm going to South Africa next week but I've got no plans in the new year.

How much are you expecting the travel and accommodation will cost? As you will probably appreciate I've spent most of my "gap year money" on this trip but if I do travel more before Uni I would love to go to South America or Asia purely because of the uniqueness of the places and the fact they aren't typical tourist destinations.

Let me know your plans!

Cheers, Liam :smile:
Reply 5
where abouts in london are you from? all my friends are too poor to travel with me
Reply 6
Well I'm actually from Bucks so a bit outside London. What about you?
Reply 7
north london like on the edge basically Hertfordshire but with a london underground tube stop (end of the line tho obvo)
Reply 8
That's cool. If you're in interested in coming I haw a great idea for a route and rough ideas about costs including flights.
I'll be going to South America at the end of the summer. Not looking for any travel companions, but just some general comments:

Don't worry if you can't find anyone beforehand to travel with. When staying in hostels you'll meet so many other people that you will probably find various people to travel with, wherever you're going. I've been to Ecuador and Bolivia before, and I took a few weeks of language classes when I just arrived in Ecuador. Met quite a few other backpackers in my language school, and after that we traveled together trough Ecuador for 2 weeks, and some went to continue on traveling together to Peru afterwards.

Of course it's different for everyone, but I'd recommend being flexible and not scared to travel on your own for a bit, even (or especially) when you arrange to travel with people who are largely strangers to you. You might find out that you have other interests, other ways of traveling, that one has more money than the other, etc.. The good thing about traveling with someone you only vaguely know is that it is a lot easier to say "this isn't working" and go your different ways.

Good luck anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest