The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Mass communications in Hertfordshire:) do you like it or not?

Hey, everybody studying mass communications or just hummanities in Herts.
Well, I can say I'm in love with this programme as I read it ,but I'm not sure is it realy that perfect. Can anybody help me with sharing your opinions?:smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by SielaMusica
Hey, everybody studying mass communications or just hummanities in Herts.
Well, I can say I'm in love with this programme as I read it ,but I'm not sure is it realy that perfect. Can anybody help me with sharing your opinions?:smile:

I'm a second year Humanities student.

In my first year I did ''New Media Publishing'' and ''Media Communications'' which are both part of the Mass Communications course. I can answer any questions about those two subjects and just the humanities in general. :smile:
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Pop_tart

Original post by Pop_tart
I'm a second year Humanities student.

In my first year I did ''New Media Publishing'' and ''Media Communications'' which are both part of the Mass Communications course. I can answer any questions about those two subjects and just the humanities in general. :smile:

Thanks in advance:smile:) I'm engaged in, how do you like the whole course? do you find it useful? how about the proportion of practise and theory? facilities? lecturers? people? I'm ,actually, interested in whatever you write:smile:)
Reply 3
Original post by SielaMusica
Thanks in advance:smile:) I'm engaged in, how do you like the whole course? do you find it useful? how about the proportion of practise and theory? facilities? lecturers? people? I'm ,actually, interested in whatever you write:smile:)

Well let me make clear that I am NOT doing the Mass Communications course right now. I continued with a single honours in English language and Communication in my second year.

The modules that I have done that were also part of the Mass degree were definitely a lot of fun :smile: But I can't speak for the whole course really.
I did New Media Publishing first which all about photoshop and flash and that definitely helped me a lot and really made me understand how it all works. They are both quite complex editing software. I loved that module in general, playing around with photos and just yeah using your own imagination. Besides that I had a great lecturer although I'm not sure if he still does that module. I did engage too much with the other students to be honest :/

Erm what the Media Communications is concerned.. that was a great module as well actually. Mostly about how the media influences us, how we percieve the world etc. It really makes you think and realise that the media could tell us anything really and we always just assume they are like this all knowing body :tongue: All of the assessment for both modules was coursework based (essays). For both modules there was enough time to practice I think, the Media publishing was taught in 3 hour block every week (with a break obviously :P) so that was great. The other module was 1 lecture and 1 seminar a week. I mean you have to take an active role as well, if you feel like you don't understand something or you want to practice something more you have take action otherwise they'll never know :smile:

Hertfordshire is known for it's great facilities, so no worries about that :smile:
Reply 4
heyy, i was just wondering whether you ended up doing this course and how it went??
Reply 5
Original post by brooke111
heyy, i was just wondering whether you ended up doing this course and how it went??

according to his or her profile, (s)he was last online in December 2011, with only 6 posts I doubt she actually still uses TSR :/

Sorry I didnt want to sound mean or anything but I dont think you'll get a reply from her ^^
Reply 6
oh okay, do you know anything about this course?
Reply 7
oh okay, do you know anything about this course?

I'd definitely have a read through my previous reply to her, that's about as much as I know though if you have any specific questions I can look them up for you or get in touch with some of the lecturers.
Reply 8
I'm going to be a second year student and i'm really nervous it'll be very difficult to make friends. Could you ask whether there's a dissertation at year three and with the second year modules they don't develop into the third year. So for example could i still do video in the third year as its not listed? Also how many are there within the class is it a popular course. This will honestly put my mind at rest, thank you!
Reply 9
I'm going to be a second year student and i'm really nervous it'll be very difficult to make friends. Could you ask whether there's a dissertation at year three and with the second year modules they don't develop into the third year. So for example could i still do video in the third year as its not listed? Also how many are there within the class is it a popular course. This will honestly put my mind at rest, thank you!

Are you transferring to the uni or something? As far as I'm aware, you only do a dissertation if you're doing modules all from one subject, which you wouldn't be on Mass Comms, so no. Not 100% sure though.

I've got no idea about what you can take in 3rd year (though I know you can drop some in 3rd year so I guess you can switch it up a bit).

I'm in a few of the classes you can do, English Language, Journalism (both v.full) and Media (fairly empty).

Quick Reply