The Student Room Group

Middle-class schoolboy, 12, hangs himself after 'bullies taunt he spoke too politely'

Scroll to see replies

hmm hopefully this will be a wake up call to these bullies that what is in their opinion a little bit of fun/messing around can have incredibly serious consequences. If they show no remorse..hmm....they will after suitable education in what such things can do to someone, all very easy when you are not the target of bullying, not so funny when you are afraid to go to school, want to die.

Teachers don't have enough power these days, although I'm not that fond of the Conservative party I'm hoping they'll introduce legislation to give teachers more breathing room and allow harsher punishments. Also in some cases it seems that even teachers will join in with teasing, or at least intentionally ignore it, it's the unpopular kid so it's ok, they'll side with the one everyone likes.

If the bullies are over 10..I wonder if they can be charged with a criminal offence, I'd hope so...teach them actions have consequences.
Reply 101
Original post by Kathy89
What if parents and teachers don't help or even make things worse (like in most cases) and you can't leave school because you need your parents to arrange your moving to another school...

No, there's always a choice. Even home schooling or taking some time-out from education, ANYTHING is a better alternative to killing yourself.

There really isn't an argument against that tbh.
Reply 102
Original post by Yawn11
No, there's always a choice. Even home schooling or taking some time-out from education, ANYTHING is a better alternative to killing yourself

There really isn't an argument against that tbh.
And you think a stressed teenager would think that way?!
Reply 103
Original post by Kathy89
And you think a stressed teenager would think that way?!

Yes I do! Many are bullied every single day and it usually DOESN'T result in suicide, because most people are smart enough to know that is not the answer.

Here is the harsh reality:

In most cases, suicide is carried out by the weak-minded.

Which is why I pity them, they wasted their life and hurt the one's that actually care for them. I've nothing else to say on the matter.
Reply 104
Original post by Yawn11
Yes I do! Many are bullied every single day and it usually DOESN'T result in suicide, because most people are smart enough to know that is not the answer.

Which is why I pity them, they wasted their life and hurt the one's that actually care for them. I've nothing else to say on the matter.

You are right, in a way, but the question is how to prevent it... (Actually both things, the bullying and the suicides).
(edited 13 years ago)
That's pretty appalling, to be honest.
Bullying does need to be stamped down on, but, like another user stated it is hard to control.
Still, rest in peace, kid.

Such a shame, he had his whole life ahead of him, but due to pathetic individuals trying to get a laugh, that's now been taken from him.
Reply 106
The tongue..
Original post by Kathy89
How can you teach on to cope with bullying?

You are right about the bullies, they really need psychological help now.

However, I can't find any method to avoid bullying in any case. You need to work with both sides in a very serious way and most of the kids won't cooperate the way needed for the methods to help.

Well, I remeber when I was in primary school our school held a lecture on the topic of bullying. They told us about what are the common causes of bullying and the right thing to do when facing such situations. I think its more than possible, and as it helps both the bully and the target to get to know what really is going on (because believe me, most bullies feel terrible about what they do but are uncapable of stopping themselves once they have started it), it was tremendously helpful in our case.

Yes, I agree with you on how most people would simply refuse to cooperate, and I think that is due to the fact that people in those situations are ashamed of what they are doing/what others are doing to them, that is why they refuse to talk about it. They are kids, after all, and that feebly attempt to protect their privacy would bound to collapse once someone worthy of their trust turns up. I think parents and teachers who notices things going on should suggest the child to seek psychological help immediately, or even better, guide them in the right way themselves.

If schools cannot teach one to be strong, to love oneself and to love others, then I guess education is far from complete, isn't it?
Original post by Kathy89
Teenagers usually don't speak to their parents about "childish" problems like bullying, or even worse, parents often don't pay much attention or don't take it serious enough, especially the parents who were not bullied at school.

Which is why they should be taking responsibility somewhat.
If a child killed themselves partly because of the bullying from my child, I would wonder about how I raised the child, the morals which I taught my child if any at all, and I would be quite ashamed too. Ashamed of him and ashamed of myself.
One kid's bullying is another's friendly banter. What makes one person kill themself just makes another laugh and trade amusing insults.
Original post by MJay91
A schoolboy hanged himself after playground bullies terrorised him for the way he talked, it is claimed.
Bradley Wiseman, 12, who it is claimed was being targeted because of his well-spoken voice, was found at his home on Monday.
Hundreds of friends have now blasted bullies on an online memorial page who are said to have tormented Bradley at his school in Edlington, South Yorkshire.

More here.

I read an artical in the times about child suicide last week. This topic is one of the saddest things in existence.
Reply 111
Original post by thunder_chunky
Which is why they should be taking responsibility somewhat.
If a child killed themselves partly because of the bullying from my child, I would wonder about how I raised the child, the morals which I taught my child if any at all, and I would be quite ashamed too. Ashamed of him and ashamed of myself.
Society sometimes have a bigger influence on ones education. Some of the bullies come from good families and some even don't really want to be bullies but choose to to avoid being bullied themselves.
Reply 112
Original post by jiayi930829
Well, I remeber when I was in primary school our school held a lecture on the topic of bullying. They told us about what are the common causes of bullying and the right thing to do when facing such situations. I think its more than possible, and as it helps both the bully and the target to get to know what really is going on (because believe me, most bullies feel terrible about what they do but are uncapable of stopping themselves once they have started it), it was tremendously helpful in our case.

Yes, I agree with you on how most people would simply refuse to cooperate, and I think that is due to the fact that people in those situations are ashamed of what they are doing/what others are doing to them, that is why they refuse to talk about it. They are kids, after all, and that feebly attempt to protect their privacy would bound to collapse once someone worthy of their trust turns up. I think parents and teachers who notices things going on should suggest the child to seek psychological help immediately, or even better, guide them in the right way themselves.

If schools cannot teach one to be strong, to love oneself and to love others, then I guess education is far from complete, isn't it?

I still can't see this working in America, or Israel (maybe in England it will, still doubt)...

Education is far to far from complete...
Original post by Kathy89
Society sometimes have a bigger influence on ones education. Some of the bullies come from good families and some even don't really want to be bullies but choose to to avoid being bullied themselves.

Society may have an effect to the point, but not to the point where a parent has little or no influence on the matter. A good parent would have a hold of the matter.
Reply 114
Original post by Yawn11

It's comments like this that make this problem socially unacceptable to talk about. Have you ever been depressed, Yawn11? Have you ever felt like you'll never feel any other emotion again, like you're already dead inside? Like you're a burden on everyone around you, and the world would be better off without you? Lived every waking moment in internal agony? I'm guessing you'll answer 'no', and in that case, don't talk about something you know absolutely nothing about.

"The charity Depression Alliance estimates that each year there are around 19,000 suicide attempts by UK adolescents whilst more than 2 million children attend GP's surgeries with some kind of psychological or emotional problem."

"As a society, people aren't taught how to express anger, so we internalise it. Directing anger inwards is a cause of depression.

Targets eventually arrive at a situation where the internalised anger is so great that, like a pressure cooker, some release of the pressure is needed. Rather than resort to violence against others, the target of bullying (usually a person of high integrity) is most likely to direct the violence onto themselves, thus self-harm and attempted suicide. Compare this noble act with the cowardice and thuggery of the bully. "

http://www.bullyonline.org/stress/selfharm.htm if you want to read more.

Some facts:
At least 16 children commit suicide because of bullying (the true total could be much higher)
At least 19,000 children attempt suicide - one every half hour
Suicide is now the number one cause of death for 18-24-year-old males
Half of university students showed signs of clinical anxiety whilst more than 10% suffered from clinical depression.

Oh, and just so you know, depression is an ILLNESS. It's caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Would you say someone with diabetes is "weak"? They have an imbalance, just of something different.

A third of people will have depression at some point in their lives. It's nothing to be ashamed of. Would you say I am weak minded, Yawn11? I have OCD and Generalised Anxiety Disorder. I used to have clinical depression, and yes, I developed it after being bullied. Does that make me weak in your eyes?

It's ignorance like this that makes mental health problems get swept under the rug, and then people don't know where to turn to. It's the same as every other illness, and society needs to start viewing it as such.

I'm not trying to insult you, but I am quite offended at your ignorance.

Sincerly, a former depressive.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Kathy89
I still can't see this working in America, or Israel (maybe in England it will, still doubt)...

Education is far to far from complete...

Why not in America or Israel? I'm afraid I am not seeing your point.
Original post by spazman21
It's funny how 100% of the TSR population are anti Daily Mail, yet all of these maudlin articles are from the Mail...

Why do we need sensationalist stories clogging up our newspapers. Is there not anything more newsworthy to make a thread about. These things happen everywhere you look so why should we pay more attention to it simply because it happens in Britain.

:lolwut: What a disgusting, attention seeking post. You're ok with people dismissing your inevitable death as a yawnsome non-event when it happens too I take it?

Of all the things to whine about, you whine about this. Pathetic :rolleyes:
Really upsetting to see this. I know this happens a lot, and that it isn't the first time that the news have documented a case like this, but it's still very sad nonetheless.
Original post by Dude Where's My Username
:lolwut: What a disgusting, attention seeking post. You're ok with people dismissing your inevitable death as a yawnsome non-event when it happens too I take it?

Of all the things to whine about, you whine about this. Pathetic :rolleyes:

Yes, of course I'm ok with that. My point was that there are many more important, poignant issues to discuss.

Do you not realise that the Mail gives more weight to teary stories like these... Why?? Because it sells!! That's my problem.

And you can't deny it's not annoying that most of the "news" article threads are from the mail, when all of TSR "complain" about the newspaper.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by mikeyd85
With their limited powers and limited resources, how do yo propose they stop it? It's a sad situation, but I feel that teachers don't have anywhere near the freedom they need to do their jobs as well as they could, both in the teaching and social sides to their roles.

Edit: Why the neg?

Teachers can actually do a lot more than they currently do, they just need to be trained to recognise the signs of bullying.

I've been in classes where bullies have been stealing kids' stuff, calling them names etc. literally right in front of the teacher and the teacher has just ignored it, or taken it as 'teasing'.

It's actually not that hard to spot the odd one out in a class of kids. They'll be the kid who's on their own, the one who always gets picked last for teams, who, as in this case, has an accent different to the other kids, is the only black kid, has obviously never heard of make up etc. These kids need to be recognised as vulnerable, kept an eye on. Teachers need to take a hard line if they see anything happening, and help the kid to get more involved with their social group. I'd love to see a school one day that put on self-esteem/social skills classes, which is often what a lot of bullied kids lack.

But of course, teachers need the freedom, money and training to be able to do this stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending