The Student Room Group

vietnam experience - real gap company

hi is anyone going to do the vietnam experience next year may or june??

or are there any people who have already done it and thoughts??
Reply 1
You may donate your money to a charity organization.
Vietnam is just one big rip off scam.
15 years experience there. Thanks a lot.
I well remember an admissions tutor telling me how singularly unimpressed he was with gap years like this. In his opinion they just demonstrated mummy and daddy could pay for Tarquin's jolly and nothing more and he gave them no consideration whatsoever.
Reply 3
ermm its for travelling, not volunteering lol.

i really doubt unis would be not impressed with travelling.

Original post by hypocriticaljap
I well remember an admissions tutor telling me how singularly unimpressed he was with gap years like this. In his opinion they just demonstrated mummy and daddy could pay for Tarquin's jolly and nothing more and he gave them no consideration whatsoever.
Reply 4
Original post by walkman
You may donate your money to a charity organization.
Vietnam is just one big rip off scam.
15 years experience there. Thanks a lot.

Vietnam is a rip off scam? What? Do you mean the organisation?
I lived in Vietnam, it is a beautiful country :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by doughnuts
ermm its for travelling, not volunteering lol.

i really doubt unis would be not impressed with travelling.

Tbf, you could organise your own travelling and not have to pay this company
Reply 6
i using real gap for vietnam but going independently to Hong kong.

i am using a company for vietnam because my dad forced me to lol. also i dont want to plan stuff in vietnam for 4 weeks. its so much hassle planning 1 week in hong kong

to the other post, i am not relying on mummy and daddy, i am paying for it myself

Original post by lekky
Tbf, you could organise your own travelling and not have to pay this company
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by doughnuts
i using real gap for vietnam but going independently to Hong kong.

i am using a company for vietnam because my dad forced me to lol.

You don't need to mention you used a company in your PS I guess!
Reply 8
lol i have applied to university already and no i didnt mention it in personal statement

i am going may 2011

Original post by lekky
You don't need to mention you used a company in your PS I guess!
If you want to use them, then use them. I've heard so many bad things about RealGap, but I think it depends on the place. But Vietnam is lovely and cheap. There's not that much planning involved really. Just start at one end, and get a bus/train/plane to the other. Vietnam is very easy to get around especially when it's not the rainy season, when some areas are hard to get to. You'll learn a lot more from doing it yourself rather than going by a company. But if your dad wants you to go realgap, you don't really have much choice. It isn't unsafe though.
Reply 10
Firstly Vietnam is a wonderful country and my mate who just got back keeps raving about it so if you want to go there do it. But please do not waste your money with these companies. I checked up the trip and £800 not including flights and others (so probably nearly £2000) for 4 weeks. I just got back from a three month trip to Uganda (including trips to Kenya and Tanzania) and with everything included came to £1800.

They are designed for westerners, run by westerners, only done by westerners. The way to see Vietnam is travelling on your own through the country with complete freedom, my mate actually spent a week in a local village working in a guys shop. With £2000 you could buy a return ticket for £600 and go where you want when you want staying in places you like leaving places you do not for a good three months and then go onto hong kong.

About your Dad tell him a gap year is a chance to do something you will never have the chance to do again. Be adventerous, explore, don't plan everything to great detail and have a great time meeting new interesting people. If your dads insists you go with a company go somewhere else or even better put the money away and go in a summer at uni.

If you want any questions about Vietnam I could ask my mate and get back to you.
Don't use a company, I spent a month in Vietnam and really it is such an easy place to travel independently and cheaply. If you're going to Hong Kong I'm assuming you're travelling overland through Yangshuo and Guellin to Hanoi? If not, start in Hanoi anyway and just work your way down choosing places to stop along the way. It's a safe country, every city has a massive tourist centre and you can even cross the country in a nice, safe, air-conditioned (although completely sterile and might-as-well-be-in-Newquay) tourist bus if that is what you want.
Reply 12
I had been to Vietnam last year...booking Vietnam Experience with Real Gap. Everything was fine.
It was amazing time :smile:. For the next time if you should book from Real Vietnam Travel.vn website Your prices for the trip could be much cheaper.

Anyway, Vietnam is beautiful country. :smile:
Reply 13
I had been to Vietnam with Real Gap. It was good trip with the group and the tour guide ( Chien) very friendly and helpful.

I ' m not sure if you go by yourself, you can save you money but it is not safety. Just book from Real Gap. It is better. :smile:
Reply 14
Hi,
I'm also considering real gap for the Vietnam experience for august as I'm currently at uni. I've been wanting to go travelling for ages, and Vietnam looks amazing! Ideally I like to organise it myself, but I'm considering going on my own so I would definately want to go as an organisation as I would feel more comfortable in a group.
Has anyone done real gap before and what did you think?
I've read quite a few bad reviews of real gap too :/ is there any other companies offering the same kind of thing which is better? Such as i-to-i?
Also I really want to do a week volunteering in a school or orphanage when I'm there, because I'm doing a teaching degree and think it would be really interesting. but if i organised this myself, does anyone know how!?
THANKS!
Reply 15
Hi,

Don't book with i-to-i because their price is very expensive and low quality trip. Real Gap is better I think. If you do not want to book with Real Gap you can book with Gap discovery....the program " discover Vietnam" is the same with " Vietnam Experience" of Real Gap. Both company work with Real Vietnam for the same schedule. Up to you. I hope you will have a good time. Vietnam is amazing:smile:
I had been with Real Gap last year. Real Gap is Ok but if you book directly from real Vietnam travel.vn is cheaper. Real Gap work with them. It is easy to find out the website name real vietnam travel. http://realvietnamtravel.vn/ or http://realhalong.com/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Hey, how much did you roughly spend altogether? I'm thinking of going but I wanna be sure that I have enough money to last me the month

Quick Reply

Latest