The Student Room Group

Masters in Finance Ranking (UK)

Hello everyone

I have spent some time on TSR browsing the MS Finance ranking of UK university, but not able t o find one. Now I myself is trying to make 1 and need help of present and past student of these programs.

Group 1
Masters in Finance LBS
Masters in Finance Cambridge
MSc Finance LSE

Group 2
MSc Finance Imperial
MSc Finance Warwick
MSc Finance Cass

Group 3
MSc Finance Lancaster
MSc Finance Manchester
MSc Finance Strathclyde

Group 4
MSc Finance Bradford
MSc Finance St Andrews
MSc Finance Queen's University Belfast

I am not taking the MSc Finance and related courses in this ranking, courses like Financial economics, Finance and economics, Finance and management, Finance and Investment are not included

PS::There is not specific position arrangement of college in group except Group 1.
Reply 1
Hi Sankit,

I think that you shouldn't confuse "prestige" and "efficiency". To impress your grandma is one thing... and to increase your job prospects is another one....

First situation, you want to work for your daddy's business;

A) and you are a very good student;
go for Oxford, Cambridge or LSE

B) and you are on the average;
go for Imperial

C) and you are bellow average;
go for Cass

Second situation, you want to be respected by your peers;

A)and you are an excellent student (high GMAT)
go for LBS

B) and you are very good student;
go for LSE,Warwick, Lancaster, Strathclyde

C)and you are average or bellow;
go for Durham, Bradford, Nottingham and co

I'm not saying that it's a rigid rule... there are some LBS ulimni which are dummies while some Durham students should be brilliant... But there are exceptions!

Here's my ranking; based on professional and academic experiences;
Tier 1
Masters in Finance LBS

Tier 2
MSc Finance Warwick-MSc Finance LSE-MSc Finance Lancaster
Masters in Finance Cambridge-Msc Financial Economics Oxford
MSc Finance Strathclyde

Tier 3
MSc Finance Imperial

GAP

MSc Finance Cass
MSc Finance Bradford
MSc Finance St Andrews
MSc International Finance Nottingham
...and so on....

Cheers,
Eduardo
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by eduardo002
Hi Sankit,

I think that you shouldn't confuse "prestige" and "efficiency". To impress your grandma is one thing... and to increase your job prospects is another one....

First situation, you want to work for your daddy's business;

A) and you are a very good student;
go for Oxford, Cambridge or LSE

B) and you are on the average;
go for Imperial

C) and you are bellow average;
go for Cass

Second situation, you want to be respected by your peers;

A)and you are an excellent student (high GMAT)
go for LBS

B) and you are very good student;
go for LSE,Warwick, Lancaster, Strathclyde

C)and you are average or bellow;
go for Durham, Bradford, Nottingham and co

I'm not saying that it's a rigid rule... there are some LBS ulimni which are dummies while some Durham students should be brilliant... But there are exceptions!

Here's my ranking; based on professional and academic experiences;
Tier 1
Masters in Finance LBS

Tier 2
MSc Finance Warwick-MSc Finance LSE-MSc Finance Lancaster
Masters in Finance Cambridge-Msc Financial Economics Oxford
MSc Finance Strathclyde

Tier 3
MSc Finance Imperial

GAP

MSc Finance Cass
MSc Finance Bradford
MSc Finance St Andrews
MSc International Finance Nottingham
...and so on....

Hey Eduardo..I believe you have an idea about the finance courses at the above mentioned universities in UK and you will be able to help me with the following universities:-

I have got an acceptance from the following universities:-
Lancaster - MSc finance
Bristol - MSc Economics and Finance
Nottingham - MSc finance and Investment

My major concern is that I should be able to get a good job after the completion of th course as I will be an international student and I will be taking a student's Loan.Can you please tell me which University will shape me for a good Job in the Financial Sector
Reply 3
Strathclyde a Tier 2 school? Better than Imperial? Lancaster above both? W..T...F?

C'mon now! This is exactly why people need to be very careful listening to anonymous users on the internet spewing out idiotic things.

As an international student in the UK, and if you hold offers from Bristol,Nott. and Lancaster, you should get in touch with other international students at these schools, compare profiles and ask specific questions. Don't rely solely on what somewhat says is a Tier 1 school and dictate your chances of finding a good job in the financial sector. Just think about how subjective the term "a good job" is by itself, let alone school rankings!

Personally, I would study the curriculum of three schools, talk to past international students, talk to current students, and research hiring trends of employers that interest you. The term "Financial sector" is vague enough by itself. Hit up LinkedIn, spend some time creatively finding out who works for whom and get in touch with these people. You might notice a trend or two take place and you can learn from other people's mistakes instead of putting your own skin on the line. Furthermore, you'll further develop you communication skills, your network and your ability to confidentaly express specific career goals. All 3 of those programs are good, but they don't belong to the Top-6 (LSE,LBS,OxCam,Warwick, Imperial), so at that point other factors start playing a larger role.

If you still can't make up your mind after doing all that then consider other factors.
You're an international student, chances are expenses will high and you'll want to save every pence you have while studying, networking and meeting with alumni. It might make a big difference to take into consideration proximity to London (if that's where you want to work) to minimize travel costs (money AND time), tuition fees, costs of living (rent), and so on.

Life is so much easier when you know exactly what you want and how to get there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by realdeal87
Strathclyde a Tier 2 school? Better than Imperial? Lancaster above both? W..T...F?

C'mon now! This is exactly why people need to be very careful listening to anonymous users on the internet spewing out idiotic things.

As an international student in the UK, and if you hold offers from Bristol,Nott. and Lancaster, you should get in touch with other international students at these schools, compare profiles and ask specific questions. Don't rely solely on what somewhat says is a Tier 1 school and dictate your chances of finding a good job in the financial sector. Just think about how subjective the term "a good job" is by itself, let alone school rankings!

Personally, I would study the curriculum of three schools, talk to past international students, talk to current students, and research hiring trends of employers that interest you. The term "Financial sector" is vague enough by itself. Hit up LinkedIn, spend some time creatively finding out who works for whom and get in touch with these people. You might notice a trend or two take place and you can learn from other people's mistakes instead of putting your own skin on the line. Furthermore, you'll further develop you communication skills, your network and your ability to confidentaly express specific career goals. All 3 of those programs are good, but they don't belong to the Top-6 (LSE,LBS,OxCam,Warwick, Imperial), so at that point other factors start playing a larger role.

If you still can't make up your mind after doing all that then consider other factors.
You're an international student, chances are expenses will high and you'll want to save every pence you have while studying, networking and meeting with alumni. It might make a big difference to take into consideration proximity to London (if that's where you want to work) to minimize travel costs (money AND time), tuition fees, costs of living (rent), and so on.

Life is so much easier when you know exactly what you want and how to get there.

I've upvoted you too recently to do it again, but this is good advice. These ranking threads are so speculative.
Reply 5
Original post by realdeal87

this.
Reply 6
Original post by SAnkit

Original post by SAnkit
Hello everyone

I have spent some time on TSR browsing the MS Finance ranking of UK university, but not able t o find one. Now I myself is trying to make 1 and need help of present and past student of these programs.

Group 1
Masters in Finance LBS
Masters in Finance Cambridge
MSc Finance LSE

Group 2
MSc Finance Imperial
MSc Finance Warwick
MSc Finance Cass

Group 3
MSc Finance Lancaster
MSc Finance Manchester
MSc Finance Strathclyde

Group 4
MSc Finance Bradford
MSc Finance St Andrews

I am not taking the MSc Finance and related courses in this ranking, courses like Financial economics, Finance and economics, Finance and management, Finance and Investment are not included

PS::There is not specific position arrangement of college in group except Group 1.

I rejected LBS for Imperial :smile:
Reply 7
How is MSc Finance program at University of Bath?
Reply 8
Recently spoke to city recuiters:

LBS=LSE=Warwick=Imperial=Oxford > (gap) Cambridge > gap Cass, etc.

There shouldn't be a significant difference in interview offer rates for the Top five.
Hi SAnkit,

Noticed you couldn't find rankings for MSc in Finance. Here is the most recent FT ranking, hope you find it useful,

Helen
http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/masters-in-finance-pre-experience-2011

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending