The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Official UCL Applicant Thread for Entry in 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Just for you all to know, I hate the TSA! I HATE it.

Sorry, just needed to say it... preparation for ESPS assessment day is driving me crazy.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
any answers for anthropology?
Original post by saks10111
Haha I applied to Trinity Hall too for Land Ec, it's gorgeous isn't it? What have you applied for and how'd your interview go? I'm with you, I REALLY want to just know and I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but find myself hoping for an offer anyways!

It's BEAUTIFUL! I stayed over the night before and was seriously contemplating hiding in a cupboard until next October and say, "yes, you did let me in, honest, don't you remember?" I've applied for English..ummm well the first interview went really well (I think). After a minute of talking one of the interviewers said "wow, it's wonderful to see your passion for literature" and from then on it all went quite well. BUT the second one was horrid. I got asked a question, started answering it, then forgot what the question was! I had to ask for the interviewer to repeat it, and even then I didn't answer what I was supposed to. Furthermore, I couldn't actually understand two of the questions one of them asked, and overall was a very very bad interview. Last thing I had to do was a test and I think I flunked that...ANYWAY. How did yours go? I keep frantically checking my emails even though I know if I do get one it will most likely read "I am sorry to inform you that..."
Wow sorry, this is such a long reply!
Reply 1983
Original post by georgiamingles
I've had a rejection from Durham too! I don't understand it... I haven't had any offers as of yet, but at the moment I'm frantically checking my emails/the post 20 times a day! You? Which college did you apply to in Cambridge? I applied to Trinity Hall. I JUST WANT TO KNOW NOW xx

I haven't got any offers either and am suffering with UCAS website syndrome just like you. Trinity Hall was my second choice of college, it's lovely there. I applied to Peterhouse, but after those interviews, the UCL statistics, and the Anglophobic Scottish Unis, I'm planning a gap year to be honest with you. When it comes to Durham, I think they have so many applicants that they chuck out all applicants with fewer than 10 A*s as a starting block.
Somebody else has perhaps asked about this before but:
Is it absolutely sure that the UCAS day doesn't include an interview? The schedule that they sent doesn't mention any interview, but it almost sounds too good to be true.
Also, what do they mean when they say that they 'expect to make an offer to all applicants who attend the UCAS day'? Does it mean that if it turns out that you're wrong for the course they won't make you an offer? In that case, does that happen a lot?
Please don't hate me if these questions have already been answered... I would be really really thankful if anybody could tell me.
It's BEAUTIFUL! I stayed over the night before and was seriously contemplating hiding in a cupboard until next October and say, "yes, you did let me in, honest, don't you remember?" I've applied for English..ummm well the first interview went really well (I think). After a minute of talking one of the interviewers said "wow, it's wonderful to see your passion for literature" and from then on it all went quite well. BUT the second one was horrid. I got asked a question, started answering it, then forgot what the question was! I had to ask for the interviewer to repeat it, and even then I didn't answer what I was supposed to. Furthermore, I couldn't actually understand two of the questions one of them asked, and overall was a very very bad interview. Last thing I had to do was a test and I think I flunked that...ANYWAY. How did yours go? I keep frantically checking my emails even though I know if I do get one it will most likely read "I am sorry to inform you that..."
Wow sorry, this is such a long reply!

Haha damn my interview was really early, so they didn't offer me university accommodation since classes were still going on, but that sounds like a brilliant plan! Yeah both my interviews were fine, the relaxed non-academic one was great, I really enjoyed myself, but the academic one was slightly more difficult. They wouldn't stop questioning me about this one tiny thing I mentioned that I barely knew about haha and finally I had to say that I had just mentioned it for effect and that it didn't really have a bearing on my topic specifically, so they stopped lol. I guess there's always the regret of not having done as well as you could have, but I think the fact that we got a Cambridge interview is something we should cherish (and brag about repeatedly) for life, whether we get in or not.
Well I have a Mac which means I can see my emails as soon as they arrive without logging onto hotmail or whatever, so not sure how I'd rank on the obsessive-email-checking. The 5th looms in the distance- I desperately want it to arrive, and yet I'm afraid of the decision! Hey, if we both get in, we'll be college-mates. That was a spin on the word roommates btw and not a creepy alternative to 'friends' haha.
Original post by saks10111
Haha damn my interview was really early, so they didn't offer me university accommodation since classes were still going on, but that sounds like a brilliant plan! Yeah both my interviews were fine, the relaxed non-academic one was great, I really enjoyed myself, but the academic one was slightly more difficult. They wouldn't stop questioning me about this one tiny thing I mentioned that I barely knew about haha and finally I had to say that I had just mentioned it for effect and that it didn't really have a bearing on my topic specifically, so they stopped lol. I guess there's always the regret of not having done as well as you could have, but I think the fact that we got a Cambridge interview is something we should cherish (and brag about repeatedly) for life, whether we get in or not.
Well I have a Mac which means I can see my emails as soon as they arrive without logging onto hotmail or whatever, so not sure how I'd rank on the obsessive-email-checking. The 5th looms in the distance- I desperately want it to arrive, and yet I'm afraid of the decision! Hey, if we both get in, we'll be college-mates. That was a spin on the word roommates btw and not a creepy alternative to 'friends' haha.

Haha yes it would be slightly more creepy if you said we would be roommates...do you have facebook or email so that we can chat about cambridge to our heart's content without annoying UCL applicants and cluttering up their thread?
Reply 1987
Hey does anyone know if you get an interview for Economics and Statistics at UCL?
The website isn't clear. It doesn't state anything about an interview but in the statistical department it says an interview may be required. Anybody who has applied for this course and received any replies?
Haha yes it would be slightly more creepy if you said we would be roommates...do you have facebook or email so that we can chat about cambridge to our heart's content without annoying UCL applicants and cluttering up their thread?

Pffft, this thread is so wild card, we'll let those few Cambridge comments slide. :tongue:
Reply 1989
Do most people get invited to interview?! I'd better not, I live on the other side of the world, and just got back a couple of weeks ago from Oxford interview!

Still waiting on UCL :frown: so badly want it even though I've got Oxford!
Original post by alcie
Do most people get invited to interview?! I'd better not, I live on the other side of the world, and just got back a couple of weeks ago from Oxford interview!

Still waiting on UCL :frown: so badly want it even though I've got Oxford!

Not all the time. Mostly, it'll be through skype or over the phone. If you're really lucky, you'll have no interview at all! Of course, that's all depending on your subject. Best of luck with your application! :smile:
Reply 1991
Original post by EcstaticMuse
Not all the time. Mostly, it'll be through skype or over the phone. If you're really lucky, you'll have no interview at all! Of course, that's all depending on your subject. Best of luck with your application! :smile:

Thanks a bunch, that helps a lot :smile: So most people will have some sort of interview, but not necessarily at the university? Is it more of a formality, as far as you know, or actually to gauge your enthusiasm for/knowledge of the subject? I hate my personal statement so I'm hoping for some way of showing them I'm actually good at English!
Original post by alcie
Thanks a bunch, that helps a lot :smile: So most people will have some sort of interview, but not necessarily at the university? Is it more of a formality, as far as you know, or actually to gauge your enthusiasm for/knowledge of the subject? I hate my personal statement so I'm hoping for some way of showing them I'm actually good at English!

Yes! In fact, I think some of the invitations even call it an "informal chat". So, it's really more to see how well you can talk about your subject and whether or not your passion for it is tangible. And no, not necessarily at the university. They're pretty good about understanding distance and whatnot. Good luck! :smile:
Username: Swiss Miss
Course: Human Sciences
Year: 2011
Reply 1994
offer for MEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering (International Programme)!

the offer is AAB but i was quite surprised cause I am predicted A*AA but hopefully i get the required grades! this is my first choice!

*fingers crossed*
Reply 1995
Original post by naugh123
offer for MEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering (International Programme)!

the offer is AAB but i was quite surprised cause I am predicted A*AA but hopefully i get the required grades! this is my first choice!

*fingers crossed*

See you there!

I'm doing the int prog too, which country are you looking at?
Reply 1996
Original post by 04smitht
See you there!

I'm doing the int prog too, which country are you looking at?

hey im looking at america, new york. i have always wanted to go there and it would be great to study there! you?
Reply 1997
hey im looking at america, new york. i have always wanted to go there and it would be great to study there! you?

Either California, New York or Toronto. Caltech sounds incredible! But Columbia is awesome too despite the cost of living in New York.
Reply 1998
Original post by 04smitht
Either California, New York or Toronto. Caltech sounds incredible! But Columbia is awesome too despite the cost of living in New York.

yeah i wanna go columbia! i havent really had a look at the other universites but i just feel like columbia is calling my name lol. i think i could get used to the cost of living thing though, considering i live in london anyway. is ucl your first choice then?
Reply 1999
yeah i wanna go columbia! i havent really had a look at the other universites but i just feel like columbia is calling my name lol. i think i could get used to the cost of living thing though, considering i live in london anyway. is ucl your first choice then?

It's likely to be if Warwick doesn't sway me on the open day, UCL's department is amazing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending