The Student Room Group

Anyone else got a 2012 offer, but applied for 2011??

I swear I must be the only person who's got this, but here goes, it's worth a try...

So I applied to Oriel for English and French for 2011 entry, interviews went pretty well, and I got offered a place, but for 2012?! I really don't know what to do :frown: I'm not prepared for a gap year, I really don't want one, and I'm worried everyone will be really disappointed in me if I don't take up the place, just because it's Oxford. Even though the fees are being tripled. Even though a gap year will cost a lot. It's a little unfair, since it's my decision. Then again I am aware of the great advantages Oxford would bring, and I really liked the place when I went. I'm not sure that the people there will be the kind of people I'd get along with really well though... anyway, anyone else who's got this please let me know!
if oxford is where you want to go, it is an amazing opportunity.

you dont have to do anything exciting with your gap year since you dont have to justify it. you could work and earn £10,000 which puts you in a better position when you go and add valuable life experience.

plus the maintance loan is higher with the new fees and you dont have to pay back anything till you earn more then currently.
i would honestly ask yourself whether oxford is where you want to go, or is there somewhere else you would like to go to. also consider that you dont have to do anything special in a gap year (you could actually earn a certificate with the open university for free if you wanted to- adding a qualification).

Ps if this offer is not the right choice for you then your silly if you accept it.
When they reopen, I would contact the college to double check, as this does seem really odd, and perhaps even an administrative error? There is no harm at all in talking the issue through with them, anyway, they won't take the 2012 offer away from you.
Original post by Athena
I think if you got your offer this year, you will pay 2011 fees throughout your degree, not 2012 ones. If it's going to be a big financial burden to take a gap year, you could get in contact with the college and explain things - they might be able to work something out.

Admittedly I haven't read all that much about the new fees as I am not affected, but the articles that I have read would lead me to believe that is not the case, unless the college were to have some kind of a special arrangement.
Original post by Festina lente
When they reopen, I would contact the college to double check, as this does seem really odd, and perhaps even an administrative error? There is no harm at all in talking the issue through with them, anyway, they won't take the 2012 offer away from you.

But it sure would suck if they did!

OP I agree with this. You should really contact them before you start worrying about gap years.
Reply 5
Original post by AnonymousPenguin
Admittedly I haven't read all that much about the new fees as I am not affected, but the articles that I have read would lead me to believe that is not the case, unless the college were to have some kind of a special arrangement.

You're right, all students with 2012 entry, even those deferring from 2011, will be more than likely to be under the new fee arrangements.
Reply 6
Original post by alcie
So I applied to Oriel for English and French for 2011 entry, interviews went pretty well, and I got offered a place, but for 2012?! I really don't know what to do :frown:

Hey :grin:
First off, congratulations on your offer, even if it wasn't quite what you had been hoping for. I have absolutely loved my time there and I'd really encourage you to consider all the options before you make any decisions. I don't know so much about the French tutors, but the English tutors are supposed to be awesome.

As for your offer, I think one of the interview helpers mentioned it to me. I've never heard of it happening before, but clearly the tutors were really impressed with you. I think college staff will be back in from Tuesday 4th January, so you should definitely call the Academic Office and talk through your concerns with them. They're all very nice and I'm sure will be particularly sympathetic given the unusual nature of your problem.

A gap year could potentially work out really well for you if you want to study English and French. The college has a quite generous travel grant scheme which I think - you may need to check this - can be used to apply for money to reimburse trips you have already taken, as long as you can show they are useful for your studies. Languages are a gift in this respect. And if you can spend a while luxuriating in some of the first year texts then it'll make the step up a lot less stressful.

Basically, you are more than justified to feel a bit put out by the offer but it could work out really well for you. Talk to the college and they'll try and help you work out all of the finances and the tutors will be able to give you advice on what you could potentially do with the time out. I've no idea how big a journey it is, but maybe come back and visit the college during term time so you can get a real sense of things. If you've got any college-related questions feel free to PM me.

Hope it works out for you.
Reply 7
Original post by Leighthesim
you dont have to do anything exciting with your gap year since you dont have to justify it. you could work and earn £10,000 which puts you in a better position when you go and add valuable life experience.

plus the maintance loan is higher with the new fees and you dont have to pay back anything till you earn more then currently.
i would honestly ask yourself whether oxford is where you want to go, or is there somewhere else you would like to go to. also consider that you dont have to do anything special in a gap year (you could actually earn a certificate with the open university for free if you wanted to- adding a qualification).

Ps if this offer is not the right choice for you then your silly if you accept it.

I do agree - it's just, I'd love to go there, but I'd also love to go to UCL, so I'll have to wait and see what happens, if I get an offer from them.
I don't mind not doing much in my gap year, but there is literally no room for me at my house (I'll be moving back to the UK from abroad where my family had 2 more children!), and it's expensive to live elsewhere if I don't work, and I'd rather study so I don't lose motivation.

Festina lente

Sorry I didn't make this clearer earlier! I got an email from them before asking if I'd accept a 2012 offer IF they made it, which put me in a really difficult position, because I didn't know whether that was the only way I'd get an offer, or whether they were just asking everyone to see who would and who wouldn't, because there were too many people. After deliberating for days, I said I would but I expressed a REALLY strong preference for 2011 entry... which they promptly ignored, replying within a few hours with three lines of text telling me I had a place for 2012.

AnonymousPenguin

Yup, the tutor who emailed me said that it obviously wouldn't be an ideal solution mainly because of the fees, so I'd definitely have to pay more. I'm not so worried about that - everyone will be in the same position - but it adds to my worries.

Mook
As for your offer, I think one of the interview helpers mentioned it to me.

What... as in, my offer specifically?! Seriously?!

Mook
A gap year could potentially work out really well for you if you want to study English and French. The college has a quite generous travel grant scheme which I think - you may need to check this - can be used to apply for money to reimburse trips you have already taken, as long as you can show they are useful for your studies. Languages are a gift in this respect. And if you can spend a while luxuriating in some of the first year texts then it'll make the step up a lot less stressful.

You're right about reading the first year texts - that would definitely be a good idea. I could have a look at travelling too, although now I've been thinking about it for a bit, I've been thinking of taking a foundation year in drama school. Acting is my secret passion I know I'll never be able to follow and this gives me an opportunity to take it up properly before I head off to uni, and will also let me see if it's what I really want to do. Does that sound like a good idea to you? Thanks so much for your help everyone!
Reply 8
Original post by alcie
What... as in, my offer specifically?! Seriously?!

You're right about reading the first year texts - that would definitely be a good idea. I could have a look at travelling too, although now I've been thinking about it for a bit, I've been thinking of taking a foundation year in drama school. Acting is my secret passion I know I'll never be able to follow and this gives me an opportunity to take it up properly before I head off to uni, and will also let me see if it's what I really want to do. Does that sound like a good idea to you? Thanks so much for your help everyone!

Well, it might not have been your offer but I think someone was telling me about them giving out a deferred offer which someone hadn't asked for.

If you want to do a foundation year in drama then this could be a great opportunity, but if you're worried about the costs of a gap year in general then funding a foundation year might be something you need to look into. Plus if you want to start a course next September/October then you might need to start applying now.
If you do decide to come to Oriel then you will be spoilt for choice in terms of student drama. There are always multiple different student productions being put on at any one time on a university level, and we have a college drama society which gives out funding for productions if you want to put one on yourself. You can get a basic idea of what's on offer by having a look at the OUDS website: http://www.ouds.org/Welcome_to_OUDS
Reply 9
Original post by Mook
Well, it might not have been your offer but I think someone was telling me about them giving out a deferred offer which someone hadn't asked for.

If you want to do a foundation year in drama then this could be a great opportunity, but if you're worried about the costs of a gap year in general then funding a foundation year might be something you need to look into. Plus if you want to start a course next September/October then you might need to start applying now.
If you do decide to come to Oriel then you will be spoilt for choice in terms of student drama. There are always multiple different student productions being put on at any one time on a university level, and we have a college drama society which gives out funding for productions if you want to put one on yourself. You can get a basic idea of what's on offer by having a look at the OUDS website: http://www.ouds.org/Welcome_to_OUDS

Oh ok interesting! and yeah I've been looking around for funding and scholarships, but the DADA Government scheme applies only to BA Hons degrees, and never to foundation courses. I've actually been looking at them since forever because it's my guilty pleasure to imagine going to drama school :P but yeah all the deadlines are between March and May, so I've got to get started!
Thanks a bunch for the link to the website!

Quick Reply