The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
He didnt even come close to sounding racist.

He asked a legit question and got slaughtered for it.

I think it was a reasonable question to ask, its one I've heard a lot over the last couple of years . Why is racism instantly inferred ? So much for freedom of speech, whats it coming to when even a question can get you into trouble. Look back in history, the most oppressed werent allowed to ask questions. It seems that some people who take pride in their liberal all embracing outlook should beware of becoming the oppressors. Oh and before you all start I'm not a racist or xenophobe either.
Reply 101
Original post by Jacktri
working for a year won't pay for it i'm afraid seeing as the prices are going up

Not for tuition, no. Gov loans have to pay for that at first. But at least it would pay for everything else. Room, board stuff like that. Plus working in the holidays is possible too, so it will work out, I guess.
Original post by hobnob
There's a ridiculous amount of competition over places, though. Students have to sit gruelling entrance exams, and as far as I know they're even penalised if they're from certain regions (i.e. if you're from a rural area you need a higher score for a place at a university in one of the big cities than if you're living in that city already). So if someone doesn't succeed in getting a place at one of the most prestigious Chinese universities, a foreign university with an internationally-known name is the next best thing, and if their parents can at all afford it, they'll consider it a worthwhile investment which will increase their child's chances of being successful in the future. Of course there'll also be lots of Chinese students whose parents can't stretch to the international fees, but we never get to see those, do we?:dontknow:

u get given more points if u r a minority or from rural locations :smile:
Reply 103
Well, I'm Italian and from next September 2011 I will come to study to Westminster in London as an EU student. I can say my personal reasons for coming to study to UK (but I think they will be similar to the reasons of other italians coming to UK to study):

- First, university Education is Britain seems infinitely better than Italian universities (I have been for a few years in two big Italian universities). In the universities near where I live in Italy I have to face very overcrowded classes (one time I had to sit down on the floor just outside the door together with a dozen of other students because the classroom, including the floor, was full), subjects totally theoretical and useless for the real world and inadequate universities facilities. And I had to face buildings spread at kilometers of distance between each other (we don't have university campuses in Italy and the buildings are often spread throughout the whole city).

- I would like to live in university halls together with other students. In italy, universities don't have student residences or student halls, so we are forced to live in private houses or in 80-85% of cases with your parents (as I and all my friends did in the last few years). I want to move away from my parents and living at least for the first year in student halls would be great.

- I would really like to live in a big multicultural city like London. The city where I live in Italy is one of the most boring and terrible city possible (with terrible public transport; while Londoners don't realize how lucky they are having tube and night buses, here in middle-sized Italian city buses and most public transport stop after 10-11 pm and they are quite inefficient). But this probably depends from the fact that I lived for 6 months in Australia (and I can't stand anymore Italy).

- (this is probably the most important reason) Many English universities offer, for the course I want to study, 1 full year of placement abroad (including 1 year of working or studying at my choice and I can even combine them and make 6 months of study and 6 months of working) abroad. Most Italian universities don't offer working placements at all, and the ones that offer them are 1 month of working placement at best. And nearly 90% of working placements are unpaid or are just ridiculous jobs.

- I would really like to study in a multicultural university with a lot of foreign students. In Italy this isn't possible because the percentage of foreign students is extremely low (from what I read a few weeks ago, the percentage of foreign student in Italian university is only 3% against the average of 20% of Great Britain). Personally in my two years of university in Italy in my ex-university I have met only 1 or 2 foreign students in all the courses I attended.

- Also studying, working and living in a foreign country looks really good in my resumè.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by James93
i'm just thinking if it costs so much then why would they want to? is english uni much better than in china or wherever

probably, plus it helps career wise to live in another country, learn to adapt to another culture and practise their English. It shows determination on their part.
- Because foreign students want to improve their language skills

- Some courses aren't offered in their home countries so they go to the UK
Reply 106
-To learn English better

-To live in a different environment

-To get away from the home country and experience a new setting

-To get into a more recognisable uni, or maybe its easier getting in to the specific course at a good uni in UK compared to a good uni in the home country (me)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 107
Original post by andrespi
Well, I'm Italian and from next September 2011 I will come to study to Westminster in London as an EU student. I can say my personal reasons for coming to study to UK (but I think they will be similar to the reasons of other italians coming to UK to study):

- First, university Education is Britain seems infinitely better than Italian universities (I have been for a few years in two big Italian universities). In the universities near where I live in Italy I have to face very overcrowded classes (one time I had to sit down on the floor just outside the door together with a dozen of other students because the classroom, including the floor, was full), subjects totally theoretical and useless for the real world and inadequate universities facilities. And I had to face buildings spread at kilometers of distance between each other (we don't have university campuses in Italy and the buildings are often spread throughout the whole city).

- I would like to live in university halls together with other students. In italy, universities don't have student residences or student halls, so we are forced to live in private houses or in 80-85% of cases with your parents (as I and all my friends did in the last few years). I want to move away from my parents and living at least for the first year in student halls would be great.

- I would really like to live in a big multicultural city like London. The city where I live in Italy is one of the most boring and terrible city possible (with terrible public transport; while Londoners don't realize how lucky they are having tube and night buses, here in middle-sized Italian city buses and most public transport stop after 10-11 pm and they are quite inefficient). But this probably depends from the fact that I lived for 6 months in Australia (and I can't stand anymore Italy).

- (this is probably the most important reason) Many English universities offer, for the course I want to study, 1 full year of placement abroad (including 1 year of working or studying at my choice and I can even combine them and make 6 months of study and 6 months of working) abroad. Most Italian universities don't offer working placements at all, and the ones that offer them are 1 month of working placement at best. And nearly 90% of working placements are unpaid or are just ridiculous jobs.

- I would really like to study in a multicultural university with a lot of foreign students. In Italy this isn't possible because the percentage of foreign students is extremely low (from what I read a few weeks ago, the percentage of foreign student in Italian university is only 3% against the average of 20% of Great Britain). Personally in my two years of university in Italy in my ex-university I have met only 1 or 2 foreign students in all the courses I attended.

- Also studying, working and living in a foreign country looks really good in my resumè.

+1 to all of these reasons. I don't really care for beeing a number with 1000s of other students and I also love the idea of campuses, which really do not exist where I live.

I hate those idiots running out on the streets and crying like babies, because they want to introduce tuition fees (300 eur per terms). Instead of fighting for that, they should start fighting for a better study environment. :rolleyes:
Reply 108
Original post by dirtybirty92
u get given more points if u r a minority or from rural locations :smile:

Hmm, fair enough, maybe I got it mixed up, then. It was in an article which I read over a year ago...
Still, even if the way in which points are distributed is completely fair and just, that won't change anything about the fact that competition for places is fierce and consequently lots of people lose out, no?:dontknow:
Reply 109
Original post by James93
I'm all for foreigners living in england but i wonder why foreigners come here just to study? I mean it kind of pisses me off when british students can't get into competetive british university courses (e.g. medicine, dentistry) when foreigners are getting in?
What's so appealing about the UK and why not stay in your own country to study?

Why don't you get off your arse and get away from mummy by leaving the country, you douche?

Also, because we can afford to pay higher school fees, therefore injecting money into your economy.
Reply 110
If you got the money to buy the priviledge to study in a university that's ranked to be one of the WORLD's top 100 and be able to say "I graduated in the UK" is quite something.

Only a fellow international student would understand how much that means.
Original post by hobnob
Hmm, fair enough, maybe I got it mixed up, then. It was in an article which I read over a year ago...
Still, even if the way in which points are distributed is completely fair and just, that won't change anything about the fact that competition for places is fierce and consequently lots of people lose out, no?:dontknow:

yes
there was nothing to make me want to stay put in lithuania.

rubbish economy,high crime rate, high suicide rate, ugly men......even the idea of living away from my parents was an attraction (if only for a few years- they've since followed me here to london, ;D)
Because apart from the USA, our Universities (especially OxBridge etc) are the best in the world so it makes sense for a foreign student to want to study here for the prestige/opportunities of gettting a degree at a UK Uni. Also i'd imagine a few do it for the experience of studying abroad etc.
Original post by Jacktri
the problem is the majority of British students can't speak fluently in another language our language teaching in schools is so inferior to the rest of Europe

There are many universities in Europe that actually teach their courses in English, as well as in their native language, when there are a large number of foreign applicants.

For example:
http://www.cuni.cz/UK-1016-version1-degree.pdf

They're not really that hard to find. And if you want to study in their native language rather than English, many offer a one-year introductory course specific to the language of the course. I know lots of people who have gone to study in Europe successfully, without being fluent in the native language of that country (most of the time, because they didn't get a place in the UK for a particularly competitive course).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 115
Original post by bob247
Why don't you get off your arse and get away from mummy by leaving the country, you douche?

Also, because we can afford to pay higher school fees, therefore injecting money into your economy.

I don't see why leaving home has to mean going to another country nobhead
Reply 116
Original post by James93
I'm all for foreigners living in england but i wonder why foreigners come here just to study? I mean it kind of pisses me off when british students can't get into competetive british university courses (e.g. medicine, dentistry) when foreigners are getting in?
What's so appealing about the UK and why not stay in your own country to study?

If we didn't come you'd be paying 9,000+ a year each..perhaps over 15,000 grand for engineering and clinical degrees...now if you say you're willing to pay that money, brace yourself, coz some students are coming your way to wreck ur car into pieces :awesome:
Reply 117
Original post by bob247

american by any chance ?
Reply 118
Original post by Chr0n
Not for tuition, no. Gov loans have to pay for that at first. But at least it would pay for everything else. Room, board stuff like that. Plus working in the holidays is possible too, so it will work out, I guess.

your country give you loans to study in other countries then? because i didn't think we gave loans to foreigners
Reply 119
Original post by Jacktri
your country give you loans to study in other countries then? because i didn't think we gave loans to foreigners

You do for EU and I also do consider EU as foreigners when it comes to studying in another country. Besides I guess my reasons for studying in the UK are quite similar to most US/Chinese or other peoples views.

Latest

Trending

Trending