The Student Room Group

Not drinking at house parties?

So I've been invited to quite a few house parties recently - the thing that is bothering me is that I don't drink which makes it very hard to do anything other than talk to girls.

If I started to kiss a girl or anything further, this would be deemed as 'taking advantage' - what should I do? Obviously I want to get some action at parties but it's really hard if you're not drinking as you immediately get crap off people.

Cheers.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
take mdma or acid
If a girl is going is going to kiss or sleep with you. If you don't bang her someone else will, so it might as well be you .
Reply 3
Alcohol doesn't make you more attractive, it just makes you more confident. The reason people who are drinking tend to get more action is because they have more confidence and aren't worried so much about rejection. As for getting with girls who have been drinking, well it's not really taking advantage unless the girl is smashed out of her face, and isn't likely to remember anything.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Pretend to mix vodka into your coke if you're really bothered.

But I wouldn't really care if I was you, just do as you like and ignore the comments from those that are drunk.
Reply 5
Original post by lukas1051
Alcohol doesn't make you more attractive, it just makes you more confident. The reason people who are drinking tend to get more action is because they have more confidence and aren't worried so much about rejection. It's not really taking advantage unless the girl is smashed out of her face.

No it's not that - I am confident with girls but the problem is that if I go and try to get with a girl, it's immediately deemed taking advantage.

It's not the getting girls that is the issue, it's the taking advantage...
Well fingers crossed you'll get to know at least one girl BEFORE she gets wasted. If she's too drunk to take her own clothes off; she's off limits.
But being serious, I don't drink, and I cope fine at house parties :-) People won't say anything. Just get a glass of coke, and tbh, people just assume it's got vodka in it anyway.
Reply 7
Out of pure interest and nothing else, why don't you drink?
Reply 8
Original post by Asheeers
No it's not that - I am confident with girls but the problem is that if I go and try to get with a girl, it's immediately deemed taking advantage.

It's not the getting girls that is the issue, it's the taking advantage...

There's a big difference between dragging a paralytic, passed out girl up to a bedroom and proceeding to have sex, and snogging a girl who has had a few drinks. Are you actually having trouble with the girls, or are you just worried about the morality? As I said, there is a line that can be crossed, but I don't think merely kissing a girl is 'taking advantage'.
Reply 9
Original post by 1992LP
Out of pure interest and nothing else, why don't you drink?

Many reasons:

1. I'm not really religious but I was raised a Muslim and I guess I don't really see the appeal of it (I probably wouldn't drink even if I was allowed to)

2. I don't like the idea of getting hangovers.

3. I don't like the idea of not being in control of myself - I would rather be sober and not do anything stupid (e.g. have unprotected sex, injure myself)

:smile:

EDIT: and for health reasons (I like having a working liver)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by lukas1051
There's a big difference between dragging a paralytic, passed out girl up to a bedroom and proceeding to have sex, and snogging a girl who has had a few drinks. Are you actually having trouble with the girls, or are you just worried about the morality? As I said, there is a line that can be crossed, but I don't think merely kissing a girl is 'taking advantage'.

Nope, the girls aren't the problem. It's just if I kiss girls or do anything further (oral sex), then it would be judged harshly by my peers as taking advantage.
Reply 11
I don't think it would be taking advantage unless they are completely wasted - after a couple of drinks, people may be slightly less inhibited but they're still aware of what's going on.

Also, you probably won't be the only sober person there, if the idea of taking advantage bothers you too much!
Nope, the girls aren't the problem. It's just if I kiss girls or do anything further (oral sex), then it would be judged harshly by my peers as taking advantage.

Nah, I don't think it would... it's a party, everyone gets off with everyone. I maybe wouldn't go as far as anything sexual, that probably would be seen as taking advantage, plus I just think the idea of going to house parties purely to get laid is in itself a little immoral... but people I know certainly wouldn't care.

The only other advice would be to actually drink... Unless you don't for religious reasons, or absolutely refuse for any other reason, one or two beers won't hurt... at least you can say you were drinking if anyone judges you. No-one can really tell how drunk you are except yourself.
Reply 13
Original post by d123
I don't think it would be taking advantage unless they are completely wasted - after a couple of drinks, people may be slightly less inhibited but they're still aware of what's going on.

Also, you probably won't be the only sober person there, if the idea of taking advantage bothers you too much!

Yeah agreed, people are still aware of their going ons. But my friends would completely make it sound worse than it is.
Reply 14
Yeah agreed, people are still aware of their going ons. But my friends would completely make it sound worse than it is.

To be honest, it's your friends who have the problem, not you. Unless you sleep with a girl who is obviously so drunk she doesn't know what she's doing, I don't think there's anything wrong with it, and I'd imagine most people would see it the same way. If your friends comment on it in that way, just ignore them. Easier said than done, I know.
Reply 15
Whenever i don't drink at a party, i realise how boring the party is. When you're drunk you don't notice the bad stuff and just have a good time. Also, you don't completely lose control of yourself unless you drink a ridiculous amount, so if you limit it, you can have fun but also be smart. Plus if you don't drink too much, you won't get a hang over.
Many reasons:

1. I'm not really religious but I was raised a Muslim and I guess I don't really see the appeal of it (I probably wouldn't drink even if I was allowed to)

3. I don't like the idea of not being in control of myself - I would rather be sober and not do anything stupid (e.g. have unprotected sex, injure myself)

You're a muslim and you're trying to get 'action at parties' pahahah this is like an MTV program.
Reply 17
Lol - why would you have to drink alcohol?

You can just drink soft drinks. I doubt anyone will care. Many people don't drink alcohol for health, taste and sometimes religious reasons.
If she's so drunk she can barely walk - That's taking advantage.

If she can hold a clear conversation, then there's no problem. No need to feel so self conscious about talking to drunk people, most don't get to the paralytic stage of drunkenesss.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Many reasons:

You needn't worry about any of these things. Just get a couple down ya neck.

Quick Reply

Latest