The Student Room Group

Sociology - AQA Unit Three: Beliefs in Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JaiP
ahh thanks! thats slightly reassuring, quite like secularisation

Yeah, my teachers predicted secularisation will come up too.
Reply 121
Has anyone come across examples of Science as a 9 or 18 mark question?
Hoping for Secularisation or Social change as the 33 mark
I really want a secularisation 33marker. Doubt it will be social change as that was in jan 10, June 08 and June 07 xx
Reply 123
Social change did not come up in jan 10 it was functionalism and postmod
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-SCLY3-W-QP-JAN10.PDF

There is the link to the paper - one on social groups and one on social change xxx
i'm scared :frown:
does anyone have advice for the essays?

I've done AS sociology, all taught by myself.

But the A2 essays are longer, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips or useful info about how to structure them or something?
Reply 127
What question is it?
Original post by Rachel_Leah

There is the link to the paper - one on social groups and one on social change xxx

Um no it's not. If you talked about social change you'd be lucky to get an E :/

I'm not sure which one your referring to, but here's what that big ones are asking:

2) Views on religion, with an emphasis on functionalism and the idea of social stability. You would contrast this to marxism, feminism, post-modernism and possibly use fundamentalism as proof of a lack of stability.
3) Social stratification. Broken into gender, class, ethnicity and age and their relationship to the different types of organisations e.g. church and sects, how their beliefs and worships differ.
Reply 129
Original post by chigzy29
What question is it?

Ohh got it thankyou hm i dont like how its not stated clearly
It isnt worded very clearly. And obviously within social change you mention those perspectives - is religion a force for stability, or change in effect. Everybody in my class took this as a social change essay and got A and A* at A2 :/

It is also within the mark scheme.
It isnt worded very clearly. And obviously within social change you mention those perspectives - is religion a force for stability, or change in effect. Everybody in my class took this as a social change essay and got A and A* at A2 :/

It is also within the mark scheme.

Yes social change would be brought into it, but the main argument is on stability not change.
Reply 132
anyone asked their teacher on what might come up????? my teacher is rubbish with predictions! :/
Reply 133
Ugh, I hope it's not secularisation. I quite like this module, but that is the longest and by far the most dull topic :frown:
Original post by Miahrose
Ugh, I hope it's not secularisation. I quite like this module, but that is the longest and by far the most dull topic :frown:

I see you have applied to two of my unis :smile: have you been to birmingham? I've yet to visit, but quite liked nottingham so would be lovely if I got an offer! I agree secularisation is HUGE but at least you have a lot to say and can pick and choose info u like :smile:
Xx congrats on your offers
Reply 135
I see you have applied to two of my unis :smile: have you been to birmingham? I've yet to visit, but quite liked nottingham so would be lovely if I got an offer! I agree secularisation is HUGE but at least you have a lot to say and can pick and choose info u like :smile:
Xx congrats on your offers

No, I haven't visited Birmingham! I think I will if I get an offer. Absolutely loved Notts though!

And yeah, I suppose that's a good point. Plus, if it's a long essay question then you get to choose from two, so I might be able to dodge it for something better anyway. :biggrin:
Original post by TheSmithsIndeed
Of all the topics to choose from my teacher chose...global development.
You guys are so incredibly lucky.

Hey im doing global development aswel :/ ... what do u think will come up? any predictions?
My teacher thinks Social Change, Post Modernity and Secularisation will come up (she didn't specify over whether they'll be 18 markers or 33 markers).
My teachers suggested globalisation or science to come up as they're both new to the course :/

Can anyone help me out with ideology?
I really don't understand what it'd want me to talk about if I had a question on it :s-smilie:
Original post by teaandcoffee
does anyone have advice for the essays?

I've done AS sociology, all taught by myself.

But the A2 essays are longer, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips or useful info about how to structure them or something?

Intro - Basically say what you're going to talk about (using social change as an example) - Func, Marx and Fem. say religion stops social change, whereas Bruce, Neo-Marxists and Weber says it promotes it.

Para1- (FOR) Func - stops social change because it would cause society to dissolve blah blah

Para2- (AGAINST) Bruce - American Civil Rights is an example of how religion blah blah

Para3- (FOR) Fem - stops because it legitimises patriarchal power blah blah

And you just keep doing that (a method that works for both 18 and 33 markers, but for the 33 markers you write more detail and after you've done the ping-pong thing, you do a final bit that acts as a mediator (in this case, secularisation - doesnt matter whether or not religion can promote or inhibit social change because religion is declining etc.)

That's how I do it anyway, there are so many other techniques. Hope I helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending