The Student Room Group

The "Are my grades good enough for Maths..." Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Noble.
Getting a top grade looks better than doing something early. I knew someone who did GCSE Maths and A-Level Maths/Further Maths before even finishing secondary school, and it didn't seem to benefit him at all when it came to applying for maths. So I would imagine resitting it and getting that A* wouldn't be a bad idea.

Thanks for your feedback! But will an early A-Level help in sixth form applications?
Original post by Pheylan
tits :sogood:

Oh God, you're ****ing terrible; right, but terrible. :rolleyes:
Reply 163
Original post by Pheylan
tits :sogood:

Yes, they're lovely jubbly.
Reply 164
So yeah, without trawling through the whole thread trying to find similar questions to that of mine, I'll just go ahead and ask :biggrin:

I got 6 or 7 GCSEs all below grade A (mix of Bs and Cs), but only because I didn't attend school for a couple years due to medical reasons. I'm pretty sure I can get two A*s and an A in Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A Level, so what kind of university do you guys think I should be looking at?

Any reply appreciated :smile:
Reply 165
Original post by Schteve

Original post by Schteve
So yeah, without trawling through the whole thread trying to find similar questions to that of mine, I'll just go ahead and ask :biggrin:

I got 6 or 7 GCSEs all below grade A (mix of Bs and Cs), but only because I didn't attend school for a couple years due to medical reasons. I'm pretty sure I can get two A*s and an A in Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A Level, so what kind of university do you guys think I should be looking at?

Any reply appreciated :smile:

You'd be looking at the top universities for maths: Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial etc. Cambridge and Warwick ask for applicants to take the STEP exam (which is a 3 hour maths paper that's much harder than A-level) so you might want to have a look at that. Your GCSEs aren't ideal but if you can get your reference to explain the circumstances then that would help.
IGCSE's/GCSE's
A*'s - Maths, Additional Science, English Language, Geography, Business Studies
A's - Science, PE, ICT and English Lit

I am currently taking Scottish Higher English, Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Economics. At the moment I am aiming for 5 A's (I know I'm predicted to get A in Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Economics). For advanced Higher I would be thinking of taking Maths, Physics and Cambridge Pre-U Econ and/or AH Stats. (If only 3 AH's I will take an additional higher either PE, Geography or Philosophy). I am planning on taking STEP next year too.

I currently am thinking of applying to Warwick and St. Andrews (and Oxford if my highers go to plan) for Maths. From the information given what are my chances? I also don't know what other 2 universities I would want to apply to (maybe Durham or Bath... not sure) - suggestions would be nice =).
Reply 167
Original post by laughylolly

IGCSE's/GCSE's
A*'s - Maths, Additional Science, English Language, Geography, Business Studies
A's - Science, PE, ICT and English Lit

I am currently taking Scottish Higher English, Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Economics. At the moment I am aiming for 5 A's (I know I'm predicted to get A in Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Economics). For advanced Higher I would be thinking of taking Maths, Physics and Cambridge Pre-U Econ and/or AH Stats. (If only 3 AH's I will take an additional higher either PE, Geography or Philosophy). I am planning on taking STEP next year too.

I currently am thinking of applying to Warwick and St. Andrews (and Oxford if my highers go to plan) for Maths. From the information given what are my chances? I also don't know what other 2 universities I would want to apply to (maybe Durham or Bath... not sure) - suggestions would be nice =).

Warwick are very likely to give you an offer - the hard part is meeting it. With Oxford, you're up against a lot of competition so it depends what you and the other candidates are like at interview. I don't know about St Andrews. Other universities you could consider looking at are Imperial and Bristol (you've ruled out Cambridge by applying to Oxford). However I haven't looked at their grade requirements so you'd probably want to have a look at this yourself.
Reply 168
Original post by ttoby
You'd be looking at the top universities for maths: Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial etc. Cambridge and Warwick ask for applicants to take the STEP exam (which is a 3 hour maths paper that's much harder than A-level) so you might want to have a look at that. Your GCSEs aren't ideal but if you can get your reference to explain the circumstances then that would help.

Thanks for the reply bud, appreciated :smile:
Original post by ttoby
Warwick are very likely to give you an offer - the hard part is meeting it. With Oxford, you're up against a lot of competition so it depends what you and the other candidates are like at interview. I don't know about St Andrews. Other universities you could consider looking at are Imperial and Bristol (you've ruled out Cambridge by applying to Oxford). However I haven't looked at their grade requirements so you'd probably want to have a look at this yourself.

Okay, yeah I know Oxford is really competitive and that the entrance test/interview/ps counts for a lot. I guess that I'm just going to have to work very hard and make sure that they see my motivation etc!

I was thinking of Imperial but I heard maths there is very male dominated (even more than other universities), I'm not sure if I would work well in that sort of environment. Plus London is very expensive and I'm not sure if I want to go to university in a big city.

I looked at the Grade requirements for St. Andrews is BB at advanced higher for fast track and AAABB at higher for other Maths courses. So not overly high requirements =) (hopefully they won't change too much).

Thank you for the reply!
Okay, yeah I know Oxford is really competitive and that the entrance test/interview/ps counts for a lot. I guess that I'm just going to have to work very hard and make sure that they see my motivation etc!

I was thinking of Imperial but I heard maths there is very male dominated (even more than other universities), I'm not sure if I would work well in that sort of environment. Plus London is very expensive and I'm not sure if I want to go to university in a big city.

I looked at the Grade requirements for St. Andrews is BB at advanced higher for fast track and AAABB at higher for other Maths courses. So not overly high requirements =) (hopefully they won't change too much).

Thank you for the reply!
#
Oxford is apparently upping its requirements next year for A levels but not sure about Scottish quals.

Imperial is 66:34 so essentially 2:1. Don't blame you for not wanting to go to a London uni personally.

Bath, Bristol, Durham, Manchester, Nottingham, Southampton, Exeter....
Reply 171

Original post by saey
This is not a question directly related to grades.

Will it help to have performed well in the 'UKMT Maths Challenges' during our time at school. Specifically IMOK and BMO*? And if so, how much help will they be?
Yes! Definitely mention those on your personal statement.

Will it greatly slim my chances if I have not been invited to a 'summer school' following a good performance in IMOK or BMO?
They hold them every year, although there are many camps, only about 40 different people from each school year (across the country) end up going. About half go more than once.
I doubt it. I've never heard of them myself so going by what you said - if only 40 people from the country got in then the vast majority of applicants won't have got in so I don't think they'd consider not being invited to be a bad thing.

On another note, what are the chances Cambridge will overlook poor GCSE grades in Science (dual award) if I wish to apply for maths? How much weight do GCSEs have in an application for maths (for Cambridge)?

*IMOK - Intermediate mathematical olypiad (or Kangeroo)
*BMO - British mathematical Olympiad

They do consider GCSEs, but your A-level and interview performance are much more important.
Reply 172
For GCSE, I got 4A*s, 1B, 4A's and did not try as much as I should have.

I am currently doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, History and Certificate in Finance. Next year, Im going to drop history and pick up additional further pure maths AS. I am 99% sure I will get above 90 UMS in all of my A level In MATHS , and a few 100%s. Im planning to apply :

Imperial for Maths,
LSE for Maths with economics
Cambridge for Maths
King's College London - Maths
UCL - Maths

Have I got any chance of getting an offer from any of these universities?
Original post by fruktas

I am currently doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, History and Certificate in Finance. Next year, Im going to drop history and pick up additional further pure maths AS. I am 99% sure I will get above 90 UMS in all of my A level In MATHS , and a few 100%s. Im planning to apply :

Imperial for Maths,
Cambridge for Maths
UCL - Maths

You have a good chance but apart from Cambridge you're staying in London, I wouldnt bother doing that really unless you want to apply for specific subjects like Maths and econ at LSE.

If I were you, and you do get those grades, then I would aim for Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial, Bristol/Bath/Durham but it depends what you want to go for. MORSE at Warwick might suit you.
Reply 174
Original post by fruktas

Original post by fruktas

Imperial for Maths,
Cambridge for Maths
UCL - Maths

What you've said looks great - you've got the right A-levels etc. It all depends on your predicted grades, personal statement and interview. From what you've said, you'll probably be predicted an A* for maths. Try and aim for an A* in further maths as well. For physics and history, aim to get A*/A. I don't know much about Certificate in Finance.

In the summer next year, if you get an offer from Cambidge, you'll need to sit STEP papers. These have maths questions which are based on A-level material but much much harder. You could have a look at some past papers online. Don't expect to be able to do most of the questions - they're aimed at year 13 students - but you could have a go at some of the questions that don't refer to material you haven't covered.
Reply 175
In school, we have completed C1, C2 and M1. with this knowledge I have already looked at STEP I and done the questions for which I have the knowledge. Honestly, they are not very hard.
Original post by fruktas
In school, we have completed C1, C2 and M1. with this knowledge I have already looked at STEP I and done the questions for which I have the knowledge. Honestly, they are not very hard.

In all fairness that's only STEP I. You need to know STEP II and STEP III for Cambridge.
Umm, i completely don't belong on this thread because i'm a GCSE student :colondollar: But i was just wondering, would any of the top unis for maths consider an applicant who didn't have physics A level? (assuming they have further maths and the rest of their application is fine)

Sorry for intruding on your thread :smile:
Original post by minimus777
Umm, i completely don't belong on this thread because i'm a GCSE student :colondollar: But i was just wondering, would any of the top unis for maths consider an applicant who didn't have physics A level? (assuming they have further maths and the rest of their application is fine)

Sorry for intruding on your thread :smile:

Of course. What will you be doing instead?
Reply 179
I know, as Im doing further maths. STEP I and STEP II are for people doing normal maths. and as I mentioned, with the knoledge I have, I can only attempt STEP I. They are made by Cambridge for a reason, so I know it will be hard.

Quick Reply

Latest