The Student Room Group

So, you want to do a ski season?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
When researching I found out if you work most vacancies come with accommodation. Is this correct? And if so then ill definitly prefer to work!

TO = ??
Reply 221
Original post by TommyB1
When researching I found out if you work most vacancies come with accommodation. Is this correct? And if so then ill definitly prefer to work!

TO = ??

Tour Operator eg Ski Total or Inghams.

I work for Ski Total (2nd season starts in 3 weeks). We get accom, local area lift pass, food, ski/board/boot hire and medical insurance as part of our package.

You've left it exceptionally late to be looking for work if you're wanting to go this season though.

If you don't work £1k amonth is the minimum I'd consider...season passes are around €1k, accom €100-150/week, and food/drink is NOT cheap. You could slum it for cheaper, but what's the point?
Is there any chance of me getting a ski season job now for this season?...
And does anyone know of any alternative websites to native.co.uk to search for ski season jobs?

Cheers:biggrin:
Reply 223
Yeh same as above.

I'm considering maybe going late like just after new year and have heard that people sometimes quit or get fired or injured so spaces do open up late in the season.

Any advice on this?
Anyone been to Whistler, Banff or Mont Tremblant by themselves?

Any advice?
Original post by Pads
Yeh same as above.

I'm considering maybe going late like just after new year and have heard that people sometimes quit or get fired or injured so spaces do open up late in the season.

Any advice on this?

Did you find anything out about this bro? because I'm still waiting to hear whether it's possible.
Reply 226
Original post by TheQuickestSilver
Did you find anything out about this bro? because I'm still waiting to hear whether it's possible.

I've not looked into it much more atm. It is doable though I know that. Try phoning up the recruitment arm of some of the tour operaters and I think theres a Backup list for when people drop out or are fired and shizzle.
Reply 227
Original post by Pads
I've not looked into it much more atm. It is doable though I know that. Try phoning up the recruitment arm of some of the tour operaters and I think theres a Backup list for when people drop out or are fired and shizzle.

i'm thinking of doing the same, have applied for every job i could find with 'URGENT' in the title but heard nothing back yet.
any luck?
Reply 228
Original post by phoolan
i'm thinking of doing the same, have applied for every job i could find with 'URGENT' in the title but heard nothing back yet.
any luck?

Try workaseason.com they do the recruitment for Inghams and a few others.

Just got an email from them asking me for interview for Kitchen/Night Porter. Dont think ill take them up though as I am doing other things now.
Original post by TommyB1
Has anyone been to Val d'Isere. Im looking just to have a good time, me and my friends have never been skiing before so we heard this was the party capital and think its the best bet if we dont take to skiing easily :wink:

Were looking to go in the next year or the one after and been planning this for a while. Can anyone recommend a good palce to stay at Val d'Isere, how long we should stay for and how much it will roughly cost. I wont need to work the season so I need to know what to get before hand such as ski pass ect...

Thanks In Advance.

places to stay in val: i don't know any names off the top of my head, but unlike other ski resorts, val d'isere has a bloody good bus system. being close to the lifts in this village should be much of a concern as you can get the bus to them (and it's cheaper further out)

the best time is 10 days. it will be quite expensive, depending how early you book. if you book say 2 months before you want to go you should expect to pay around 3.5k euros for a 8 person apartment (self catered) quite close to a bus stop.
lift pass is around 250euros for 10 days i think? discounts for students and stuff as well i think. you dont need to buy this in advance, you can get them at the main lift station.
ski and boot hire is around 100euros.

only thing you need to book in advance is where you are staying really. you are right - val is the party capital.
Any one ever thought about doing a season with a company, where you get accomodation, flights, tuition and food. You basically snowboard all day and get qualifications where you can then go and work as an instructor.

I signed up the other day with one cant wait for 2012 now.

Seems better than working in the resort and only riding on days off. Just gotta save my money now
Original post by snowboardsteve
Any one ever thought about doing a season with a company, where you get accomodation, flights, tuition and food. You basically snowboard all day and get qualifications where you can then go and work as an instructor.

I signed up the other day with one cant wait for 2012 now.

Seems better than working in the resort and only riding on days off. Just gotta save my money now

i'm doing one next year. which company did you use?
Original post by dani_88
I'm currently doing a ski season in Switzerland in the Alps - and i have to say i absolutely love it! I love the work, the skiing, the people.. :smile:

That sounds amazing! What job are you doing and whats it like? Are there a lot of young people there (age 18-24) ? and what do staff normally do in their free time?

And one last thing would you reccomend Europe over north America?

Sorry for the bombardment!
Heyyy everyone! Im currently in college on my last year of doing a levels, and im taking a gap year..and I REALLY WANT TO DO A SKI SEASON!! Me and one of my friends are both intrested in working as hotel staff or chalet host assistants ar Val D'isere! We're looking for a great time for 3months! Including great nightlife and plenty of time to ski!
Anyone got any recomendations of work??
Let me know!!
Thaaaaaanks :smile:
Reply 234
Hi.... I am currently about to finish uni and was interested in doing a ski season.
Does anyone have any recommendations for best overall resort including nightlife and general atmosphere please. Only been skiing once before?

Also I will be 21 this winter.... would then be generally old compared to other British people working at these ski resorts????

Thanks
Reply 235
Hi guys,

Just to say, I've done a ski season, working in a small hotel in the Alps, so feel free to throw questions at me, either here or by PM! :biggrin:
hiyer. :smile:
I'm 16 and i want to take a gap year when i'm 18 (ski season)
i know its two years away and all but what are the chances of me getting a job at 18.

and what cookery courses do you HAVE to take to work as a chalet girl, does it have to be specifically for a ski resort or can you take any.

Reply 237
Original post by sandraquarcoo
hiyer. :smile:
I'm 16 and i want to take a gap year when i'm 18 (ski season)
i know its two years away and all but what are the chances of me getting a job at 18.

and what cookery courses do you HAVE to take to work as a chalet girl, does it have to be specifically for a ski resort or can you take any.

Hi Sandra,
I was 18 when I did my ski season, turned 19 in March while I was there. There were 2 other 18 year olds working in the hotel with me. I think it probably depends on the experience you have. I expect, though, that you'd be more likely to get a job in a hotel/chalet-hotel than as a chalet host, just because they prefer more mature, experienced people in chalets. Have a look at the natives.co.uk website - excellent place for asking ski season questions. Also do a bit of research into the companies you'd like to work for, look at their recruitment pages and see what kind of things they say about the age of staff they are looking for.
Reply 238
I'm taking gap year this coming year (2011/2012) and I am intending to do a ski season in France/Switzerland as I can speak a pretty good level of French. As an 18 year old, what sort of jobs are there out there? I have pretty good cooking skills but no qualification and would quite like to work as a Chalet assisstant/cleaner or something. Which companies/ areas would anyone recommend?
Thanks!
Reply 239
Original post by roxygirl
I'm taking gap year this coming year (2011/2012) and I am intending to do a ski season in France/Switzerland as I can speak a pretty good level of French. As an 18 year old, what sort of jobs are there out there? I have pretty good cooking skills but no qualification and would quite like to work as a Chalet assisstant/cleaner or something. Which companies/ areas would anyone recommend?
Thanks!

If you like cooking, consider going as a Chalet Host rather than Chalet Asst. The pay is better. An Asst with a tour operator will get about £50-£60 per week. A Host will get upwards of £90 depending on the size of the Chalet.

The company I work for offer a 1 week residential cookery course for £500, and will refund half of that on completion of the season.

I ran a 6 man chalet for a tour op and averaged £100 per week in tips, which obviously helps top up your wages.

Have a look at www.workaseason.com (applications are open for next seson). They recruit for Ski Total, Esprit Ski and Inghams.

Also look at www.natives.co.uk

Quick Reply

Latest