The Student Room Group

The Official Stocks and Shares Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3680
I'm looking to get into stocks and shares could anyone help me out in an easy to understand way. Thanks
Anyone know a free website for sector comparison charts? I've been looking for one, but haven't been able to find one for any markets apart from the S&P500.
Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts
Anyone know a free website for sector comparison charts? I've been looking for one, but haven't been able to find one for any markets apart from the S&P500.

https://www.halifaxmarketwatch.co.uk/heatmap

like that?
Reply 3683
Original post by treble03
solid bet XEL, if I money I invested the same amount of money I did 3 weeks, about 2 years ago id be a millionaire.:eek:

A millionaire?! :O

Can I ask how much u invested in XEL btw dude?
Just getting pounded on EUR/USD this week because I've gone short. It looks way overbought, yet keeps breaking through resistance. Why hasn't it gone down yet?
Reply 3685
Original post by Amit92
Same question here, I'm down about 8% right now =/

Goldman Sachs recommended a sell on GKP recently, and the legal claim makes for uncertainty even though it's likely it will be dismissed. There are continuing questions about the legality of KRG's contracts with GKP and no agreement has been reached on exports. So the price is just fluctuating around its support on small volume. GKP doesn't have huge institutional buying so it has the potential to fall back a bit as people top slice and take profits. If you look back the graph you'll see that 8% is a relatively minor drop.

If you take a step back and don't watch it minute by minute this is a good thing. GKP don't have the resources to become a producer, they're an exploratory company. They have ridiculously large resources, and the more they can prove up before any takeover bid, once the contracts are verified and the politics are more certain, the better. I have it on (relatively) good authority that a thoroughly reputable company is providing the estimates for SH3 and hopefully it should be more than is predicted. That should hopefully give the SP a short term boost. That said, there's plenty of news to come and resources to prove up which will drive the share up. The longer this takes, in many senses, the better. That that said, small tangible rises are better than falls on the expectation of future theoretical ones.

Off topic but any holders of RRL?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3686
Original post by Bazarov

Yeh, i bought some shares in rrl this week dude
Reply 3687
Original post by vn2009
Yeh, i bought some shares in rrl this week dude

Best of luck. I've been in for a bit. RRL is a gamble. It's underwritten to about 6p or so, but the problem is funds. Both Georgia and Puntland have the potential to revolutionise the SP, but if we miss on the first drill in Georgia there'll need to be some dilution to raise funds. The helium survey was a good move in that respect. I think Puntland's largely paid for and hopefully the tighter PSA will make sure it actually happens this time. If it doesn't, again, it will negatively impact the SP as there's a ridiculously huge amount of oil stake. AOI have had good reasons to drag their heels in the past but hopefully, with two drills required by Q3 I think, there should be some news on mobilisation soon.

RRL has very little by way of consistency, it's an entirely news driven share. There is a variety of news coming up in the next wee bit so I hope you see a good return. Bear in mind that RRL, like all the AIM exploratories fluctuate hugely. Be wary of stop losses. I wasn't in profit for the first few months with RRL and was mightly tempted to sell but then it exploded. It has the potential but is a risk.

Apologies for the advice-giving tone here as if you haven't researched it yourself. Just like talking about the Rangers!
(edited 13 years ago)

Well that is useful, but I was looking for charts rather than heatmaps, to do sector analysis. I've only been able to find charts that let you use one sector for comparison purposes, but I'm looking to compare across sectors. I've found a subscription site that seems to offer it, but nothing free.
Reply 3689
Original post by Bazarov
Best of luck. I've been in for a bit. RRL is a gamble. It's underwritten to about 6p or so, but the problem is funds. Both Georgia and Puntland have the potential to revolutionise the SP, but if we miss on the first drill in Georgia there'll need to be some dilution to raise funds. The helium survey was a good move in that respect. I think Puntland's largely paid for and hopefully the tighter PSA will make sure it actually happens this time. If it doesn't, again, it will negatively impact the SP as there's a ridiculously huge amount of oil stake. AOI have had good reasons to drag their heels in the past but hopefully, with two drills required by Q3 I think, there should be some news on mobilisation soon.

RRL has very little by way of consistency, it's an entirely news driven share. There is a variety of news coming up in the next wee bit so I hope you see a good return. Bear in mind that RRL, like all the AIM exploratories fluctuate hugely. Be wary of stop losses. I wasn't in profit for the first few months with RRL and was mightly tempted to sell but then it exploded. It has the potential but is a risk.

Apologies for the advice-giving tone here as if you haven't researched it yourself. Just like talking about the Rangers!

Cheers thats some good advice :smile: Am still learning about shares so any help is appreciated!

Can I ask how much u sold at dude?
Reply 3690
Original post by vn2009
Cheers thats some good advice :smile: Am still learning about shares so any help is appreciated!

Can I ask how much u sold at dude?

Not sold man, still firmly in. I'll perhaps sell next year, depending on how this year goes. :smile:
Original post by Bazarov
Goldman Sachs recommended a sell on GKP recently, and the legal claim makes for uncertainty even though it's likely it will be dismissed. There are continuing questions about the legality of KRG's contracts with GKP and no agreement has been reached on exports. So the price is just fluctuating around its support on small volume. GKP doesn't have huge institutional buying so it has the potential to fall back a bit as people top slice and take profits. If you look back the graph you'll see that 8% is a relatively minor drop.

If you take a step back and don't watch it minute by minute this is a good thing. GKP don't have the resources to become a producer, they're an exploratory company. They have ridiculously large resources, and the more they can prove up before any takeover bid, once the contracts are verified and the politics are more certain, the better. I have it on (relatively) good authority that a thoroughly reputable company is providing the estimates for SH3 and hopefully it should be more than is predicted. That should hopefully give the SP a short term boost. That said, there's plenty of news to come and resources to prove up which will drive the share up. The longer this takes, in many senses, the better. That that said, small tangible rises are better than falls on the expectation of future theoretical ones.

regarding the legal claim....everyone knows that it is about as substantial as a fart..

as you have said, their resources are mind blowingly huge and are set to increase even more, and I do know that the politics is just in the saving-face stage and any actual disagreements etc. have been resolved and there is serious doubt that the contracts could be changed as they are based on english law....

methinks that GS is keeping the sp down so it can buy a whole load of it for itself, and then let it rocket, sell it and make millions
Reply 3692
Original post by infernalcradle
regarding the legal claim....everyone knows that it is about as substantial as a fart..

as you have said, their resources are mind blowingly huge and are set to increase even more, and I do know that the politics is just in the saving-face stage and any actual disagreements etc. have been resolved and there is serious doubt that the contracts could be changed as they are based on english law....

methinks that GS is keeping the sp down so it can buy a whole load of it for itself, and then let it rocket, sell it and make millions

The only bad thing about, even ridiculous, legal cases is that they cost money to deal with. All exploraties, even GKP, burn cash like no-ones business and any fund raising hits the investor. That said, GKP are like (and probably will become) a FTSE company in terms of how they're traded. Large PI shareholding but they seem to approach things in a FTSE-company manner, which is good for investors.

Yup, I get the impression that GS' 'client advice' amount to sell recommendations on things they want cheaply and buy recommendations on things they hold, though it can't possibly be that simple or corrupt.

I do hope this coalition government is going to, over time, erode the need for face saving devices in the general will to improve Iraq. Whatever they feel about Kurdistan, its prospering does the whole country good.

I'm also fairly sure, at a presentation, a GKP representative said KRG said they'd honour any disparity between the contracts they signed and any new agreement with the government.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Bazarov
The only bad thing about, even ridiculous, legal cases is that they cost money to deal with. All exploraties, even GKP, burn cash like no-ones business and any fund raising hits the investor. That said, GKP are like (and probably will become) a FTSE company in terms of how they're traded. Large PI shareholding but they seem to approach things in a FTSE-company manner, which is good for investors.

Yup, I get the impression that GS' 'client advice' amount to sell recommendations on things they want cheaply and buy recommendations on things they hold, though it can't possibly be that simple or corrupt.

I do hope this coalition government is going to, over time, erode the need for face saving devices in the general will to improve Iraq. Whatever they feel about Kurdistan, its prospering does the whole country good.

I'm also fairly sure, at a presentation, a GKP representative said KRG said they'd honour any disparity between the contracts they signed and any new agreement with the government.

yes, I believe that KRG would do so....however it all depends on when the official announcement goes out for the taps to open...I reckon there will an rns or two within the next few weeks that will either make or break the sp imo
Reply 3694
Original post by infernalcradle
yes, I believe that KRG would do so....however it all depends on when the official announcement goes out for the taps to open...I reckon there will an rns or two within the next few weeks that will either make or break the sp imo

Here's hoping. :smile:
Original post by Bazarov

Can you please disclose what 'reputable' company is proving their estimates?

My understanding is that that they were LOOKING to bring in another more reputable company to prove their resources than their current one (which no one has ever heard of) to increase shareholder confidence...
Reply 3696
exactly right bcfc.
Reply 3697
XEL up around 11p today. Is there some news coming out soon?

Was thinking of investing in them yesterday (see posts above), would it be better to wait for the share price to drop again, or will i miss the boat if i dont buy now?

Any help would be welcome! :smile:
Original post by vn2009
A millionaire?! :O

Can I ask how much u invested in XEL btw dude?

£2600
Original post by vn2009
XEL up around 11p today. Is there some news coming out soon?

Was thinking of investing in them yesterday (see posts above), would it be better to wait for the share price to drop again, or will i miss the boat if i dont buy now?

Any help would be welcome! :smile:

Hard to say tbh, it could and probably will fall back.

But in some situations who cares about getting in 4% too high if it end ups 30/40% higher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending