The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannah9000
ha, frankfurters are GROSS!
nah boring is cool - i don't want any wild parties, just a nice hot chocolate and people to chat with and do cool things with! plus, a good nights sleep at least a few nights a week!!
cell block c - or n block, doesn't even look that bad. they have 6 people to a shower, that's like nothing compared to 10!!

:yep:
University of York
York
Reply 81
how boring...
Reply 82
Original post by LostHorizons
:yep:

:biggrin: - it never wants to let me rep you - obvs thinks i have some inside ring of just repping yours and trollmans posts haha

Original post by trollman
how boring...

life doesn't revolve around drinking and getting with people gav! at least you work hard, you get kudos there.
:biggrin: - it never wants to let me rep you - obvs thinks i have some inside ring of just repping yours and trollmans posts haha

:awesome: Do you drink at all? I think I remember you saying you didn't a while ago, but I might be getting you confused with someone else :redface:
is halifax really that bad, and alcuin boring?
Whats peoples opinions of vanbrugh?
derwent sounded my favourite until i realised it was mainly catered, so there wouldnt be much chance of me getting a self-catered one there.
Reply 85
:awesome: Do you drink at all? I think I remember you saying you didn't a while ago, but I might be getting you confused with someone else :redface:

no i don't drink at all - do you? i still plan on going clubbing and bars etc since i love music it makes it bareable! just freshers will be annoying cos its not even drinking, it's obsessive drinking. at all unis.

Original post by magicalelf
derwent sounded my favourite until i realised it was mainly catered, so there wouldnt be much chance of me getting a self-catered one there.

its not bad, at all - i was just UNLUCKY. i don't want people thinking i'm going around saying its bad. i just had very very heavy drinking housemates and i don't drink at all, was gonna be a disaster!
no i don't drink at all - do you? i still plan on going clubbing and bars etc since i love music it makes it bareable! just freshers will be annoying cos its not even drinking, it's obsessive drinking. at all unis.

I do drink, but I hate clubbing :redface: I much prefer pubs, so I'm not sure how I'm going to find freshers' week...
Reply 87
I do drink, but I hate clubbing :redface: I much prefer pubs, so I'm not sure how I'm going to find freshers' week...

there's a time and a place for clubbing, and its not every day, every once in a while is good, nice to get dressed up and go out! but - its annoying when you have to shout over very loud music to talk to people, espesh when its freshers week i think its a **** way of getting to know people! i think i may just have to start drinking to survive freshers, although slippery slippery slope!

they do hold like ALTERNATIVE things in freshers like gaming contests and comedy things and stuff.
i found out today they closed my IT account so i'm really worried i don't have a deferred place now?! i never got any formal paperwork what if the lady in econ despite being really lovely isn't that good at her job and come august i'll try to apply for accomodation and i won't be able to and then they'll go, wait you aren't coming here in 2011. GO AWAY. then i'll be like noo and take to the streets for a life of crime
Reply 88
Original post by magicalelf

Halifax isn't that bad, I do like it but i do think other colleges do have an edge on it as they are more central, have bars etc.

I know some people in derwent and they love it! What i can gather is that they are a wild bunch lol, don't write off catered I didnt think I wanted it but after half a year of eating crap food and spending loads i see the error of my ways.

Vanbrugh is very nice, very central, a good college.

EDIT: YES IT IS HANNNNNNNNS!!!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 89
I looked on some of the college's websites a while ago and it looked like there was a good variety of things in the first week, so hopefully it won't be toooooo bad. And even if it is, it's only 1 week anyway! My boyfriend went out more or less every night in freshers' week (at Leeds, not York) and he's not friends with any of the people he met then, so it doesn't seem that great :s-smilie:

Maybe email them to find out? Is the deferred place on track? I still log into my account sometimes just to make absolutely sure my offer is definitely there :biggrin: And argh you've just reminded me I need to ring student finance. I tried to REGISTER yesterday and they've already mucked it up and told me I'm already receiving student finance and should use my login details to check my account :mad:

just tried to log into track - i don't have it anymore. obvs cos i started it thought i was all out of the cycle. it was all done unofficially through emails. i think i will email them just to check... otherwise could end up in a bit of trouble

you will be the luckiest person EVER if your boyfriend is at leeds and you are at york !! my boyfriend is at bath and the distance makes me want to punch myself a hundred times. it takes 4 and a half hours :frown: its boring enough on the train atm when it takes 2 hours! but yeah, my friend say she hung out with millions of people in freshers and now she only like just says hi to them - she found her real friends after. but obviously at the time they are the only friends you have, i'm scared thinking about it! i think i will be more scared then all other freshers. i think i won't mention that i've been before to anyone, it barely counts haha

just got SOAKED. never leaving the house again til oct 8th/9th

edit: just got on track
"The application cycle during which you applied has now closed. You will not be able to make any changes to this application unless you have accepted a deferred entry offer. In this case, you will be able to change your personal details (for example your address) only. If you want to re-apply because you were unsuccessful in finding a place, you will need to register again for the current year of entry." hmmm........!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 90
It says that on your track homepage, but then if you click on 'view choices' or whatever it is you can check if York's been updated to say unconditional, starting 2011. That's what mine says now :smile: If you've got emails with the person from the department confirming that you can start in 2011, it should be fine.

I am very lucky :biggrin: All his housemates next year are really nice, too, so it'll be great :biggrin:

I'm sure I'm equally as scared about freshers'! I'm worried that I'll go out and try to make lots of friends but everyone will just hate me for some reason. I'm also worried I'l end up with terrible flatmates :frown: I'm going to try to live in a flat with lots of people so there's more of a chance I'll get on with some of them.

i went to choices but it say 1 oct 2010, but yeah - i'll keep the emails and like the head of alcuin knows i defered aswell. she's a lovely woman so i think i'll just probs choose alcuin cos at least i'll have some form of contact if i go mad and cry and drown in tears in my room! fingers crossed not haha

aww that's so lucky!! very jealous. i think LDR is gonna be so hard once we are both busy, atm its relatively easily to cordinate cos i can go down WHENEVER, and its really cheap aswell. but gah - i hate thinking about it! how long have you been together?? my boyfriend had to get a house this year cos halls was full, and they are nice but they are cutting out the annoying ones for their house next year and getting 1 new person who i haven't met but i'm sure he's fine and normal!

i'm worried that i'll try too hard and people will think i'm mad, i think i'll just try and relax!! i'm not worried about terrible flatmates, nothing is as bad as i had! i'm worried that if i shared a kitchen with loads of people it might be quite rowdy and hard to get to know people, i get quite nervous around a lot of new people aswell - i know what you mean about mixing with loads of people though. i think i will just mingle via flatmates, coursemates and then society mates, that must be quite a wide circle hopefully i'll find people who i like and like me!

if not trollman will find me crying at his door. UNLUCKSSSSS!!
i went to choices but it say 1 oct 2010, but yeah - i'll keep the emails and like the head of alcuin knows i defered aswell. she's a lovely woman so i think i'll just probs choose alcuin cos at least i'll have some form of contact if i go mad and cry and drown in tears in my room! fingers crossed not haha

aww that's so lucky!! very jealous. i think LDR is gonna be so hard once we are both busy, atm its relatively easily to cordinate cos i can go down WHENEVER, and its really cheap aswell. but gah - i hate thinking about it! how long have you been together?? my boyfriend had to get a house this year cos halls was full, and they are nice but they are cutting out the annoying ones for their house next year and getting 1 new person who i haven't met but i'm sure he's fine and normal!

i'm worried that i'll try too hard and people will think i'm mad, i think i'll just try and relax!! i'm not worried about terrible flatmates, nothing is as bad as i had! i'm worried that if i shared a kitchen with loads of people it might be quite rowdy and hard to get to know people, i get quite nervous around a lot of new people aswell - i know what you mean about mixing with loads of people though. i think i will just mingle via flatmates, coursemates and then society mates, that must be quite a wide circle hopefully i'll find people who i like and like me!

LDRs work :smile: if it makes you feel any better, my boyfriend's in the merchant navy and soon enough I won't be seeing him at all, whatsoever, for about 4 months on end because he will be sailing around Asia. Woe woe woe is moi.

You'll all be fine, anyway :smile: don't try too hard at first, just be yourselves. Even if your group of flatmates doesn't gel brilliantly then things will fall into place elsewhere, i.e. with coursemates or society friends or both.

Mm, if I was you I'd just ring/email and ask if they can update it on Track so you know it's definitely there :smile:

I've been with him for 15 months :biggrin: Before he moved to uni we were in even more of an LDR, living 4 hours away from one another, so it's going to be blissful when I move up to York and he's only half an hour or so away!

One of my boyfriend's housemates next year is someone who I've known for longer than my boyfriend has, haha. I've spent lots of time round them and they're all nice and I seem to get on with them fine, so yay!

I worry that I'll get a flat as bad as yours sounds :tongue: I get pretty nervous around lots of new people too, but it's something I'm going to have to force myself to get used to at uni, and I think being in a bigger flat would be nicer since there's more of a chance you'd get on well with some of them than if you're in a tiny flat with not many flatmates! Have you thought about which societies you're going to join?
Reply 93
Original post by rainbow drops
LDRs work :smile: if it makes you feel any better, my boyfriend's in the merchant navy and soon enough I won't be seeing him at all, whatsoever, for about 4 months on end because he will be sailing around Asia. Woe woe woe is moi.

You'll all be fine, anyway :smile: don't try too hard at first, just be yourselves. Even if your group of flatmates doesn't gel brilliantly then things will fall into place elsewhere, i.e. with coursemates or society friends or both.

yeah i think LDR works - if down to my fave saying here. if the fire is weak, the wind will blow it out, if the fire is strong, the wind will make it stronger. it's so true! thanks diane von furstenburg, only good thing i got from watching reality tv shows haha!edit: its actually from a poem the saying "Absence on Love effects the same
As winds oppos’d to fire
Extinguishes a feeble Flame
And blows a great one higher."

4 months is so long, but it will be insanely amazing when he gets back i'm sure!!

i'm gonna set my hopes averagely, last time i just had expectations that everything would be perfect. i don't think i even realised i was leaving home. dunno what was even wrong with me! but thanks, i will definetely not expect to be instantly happy in the first few weeks!

Mm, if I was you I'd just ring/email and ask if they can update it on Track so you know it's definitely there :smile:

I've been with him for 15 months :biggrin: Before he moved to uni we were in even more of an LDR, living 4 hours away from one another, so it's going to be blissful when I move up to York and he's only half an hour or so away!

One of my boyfriend's housemates next year is someone who I've known for longer than my boyfriend has, haha. I've spent lots of time round them and they're all nice and I seem to get on with them fine, so yay!

I worry that I'll get a flat as bad as yours sounds :tongue: I get pretty nervous around lots of new people too, but it's something I'm going to have to force myself to get used to at uni, and I think being in a bigger flat would be nicer since there's more of a chance you'd get on well with some of them than if you're in a tiny flat with not many flatmates! Have you thought about which societies you're going to join?

i will email the lady soon! there are only like 10 people if that on my course so i don't think its too tight but still better to be safe than sorry!
awww so sweet!! 4 hours apart in normal circumstances is crazy! i had like 12-15 mins, and every day at school! so now it feels very like going cold turkey, was so hard to deal with it at first, which coincided with being at york and i think it was just too much at once!! me and my boyf are on 26 months now, it's annoying not getting to spend anniversaries, or the fake occasion of valentines together now but that's life!

i don't think its possible for you to get it as bad- you'll be applying at the same time as gap year people so it's probably likely you'd be with gap year people, or get snapped up straight away by people on a level results morning, assuming you go for popular accom, and realistically its all popular besides like shared room in derwent, fairfax house wasn't that popular and halifax was left when i applied too. you'll be with people who love york just as much as you. i didn't receieve my accom email til about 2 days after results day, so i was with people from clearing who got like BDD in their a levels or who had york as an insurance and didn't really wanna be there. I HAVE FAITH THIS TIME! and even if i don't get on with them great - i'm def having en suite so at least i have my own space. the flats with 6 to one kitchen sound awful, but 8-12 is good. 16 is an awful lot! i've been doing research recently!

i'm thinking - econ soc cos we get automatic free membership apparently and photosoc. might do some wacky sports, not really sure yet! how about you??
(edited 13 years ago)
yeah i think LDR works - if down to my fave saying here. if the fire is weak, the wind will blow it out, if the fire is strong, the wind will make it stronger. it's so true! thanks diane von furstenburg, only good thing i got from watching reality tv shows haha! 4 months is so long, but it will be insanely amazing when he gets back i'm sure!!

i'm gonna set my hopes averagely, last time i just had expectations that everything would be perfect. i don't think i even realised i was leaving home. dunno what was even wrong with me! but thanks, i will definetely not expect to be instantly happy in the first few weeks!

That's a good attitude to have. The people that act like their new flatmates are their bestest ever friends during freshers week come across as silly and fake anyway. I never had that kind of mindset and never expected to make lifelong friendships in the first few weeks, yet I get on with the people I live with really well and I'm still having a very good time here. It's important to just be yourself and not to expect the world from the very beginning, I think =)

i will email the lady soon! there are only like 10 people if that on my course so i don't think its too tight but still better to be safe than sorry!
awww so sweet!! 4 hours apart in normal circumstances is crazy! i had like 12-15 mins, and every day at school! so now it feels very like going cold turkey, was so hard to deal with it at first, which coincided with being at york and i think it was just too much at once!! me and my boyf are on 26 months now, it's annoying not getting to spend anniversaries, or the fake occasion of valentines together now but that's life!

i don't think its possible for you to get it as bad- you'll be applying at the same time as gap year people so it's probably likely you'd be with gap year people, or get snapped up straight away by people on a level results morning, assuming you go for popular accom, and realistically its all popular besides like shared room in derwent, fairfax house wasn't that popular and halifax was left when i applied too. you'll be with people who love york just as much as you. i didn't receieve my accom email til about 2 days after results day, so i was with people from clearing who got like BDD in their a levels or who had york as an insurance and didn't really wanna be there. I HAVE FAITH THIS TIME! and even if i don't get on with them great - i'm def having en suite so at least i have my own space. the flats with 6 to one kitchen sound awful, but 8-12 is good. 16 is an awful lot! i've been doing research recently!

i'm thinking - econ soc cos we get automatic free membership apparently and photosoc. might do some wacky sports, not really sure yet! how about you??

I'm gonna try to do that too. I know it's unlikely that I'll be really good friends with the people in my flat, but I'd like to at least get on with them okay and be on generally good terms with them. One of my friends really hates all of his flatmates and hates being in his flat because it's filled with tension :s-smilie: I'd absolutely hate that.

I can imagine it being difficult suddenly moving that far away :frown: I'm glad that it's going in the opposite direction for me haha. He was 4 hours away, now he's at uni he's only 2 hours away, ad he'll be practically on my doorstop come October :biggrin: Me and my boyfriend didn't do anything for Valentine's day this year. I saw him at the weekend but left on the 13th :tongue:

Mm, I'm glad I'll get to apply early so I'll probably get the accommodation I want and I'll be in a flat of equally geeky enthusiastic people :tongue: I think I'd ideally like maybe an 8-12ish people flat (assuming it had a nice, big kitchen!), since 5-6 sounds too small and 16 sounds intimidatingly big :redface: And I'm pretty sure I'll want ensuite too. I wouldn't necessarily mind having a shared bathroom, but knowing me I'd be really unlucky and end up in a flat full of slobs who don't clean up after themselves and would drive me insane by the end of the year. I'm ignoring the fact that I could still end up with people who leave the kitchen in a mess all the time :tongue:

I think I'll automatically be in the English society, and I'm definitely going to join the music society, but I'm not sure beyond that. Perhaps film socs, and I might try getting involved with one of the student papers, but I don't really know...
Reply 96
Original post by rainbow drops
That's a good attitude to have. The people that act like their new flatmates are their bestest ever friends during freshers week come across as silly and fake anyway. I never had that kind of mindset and never expected to make lifelong friendships in the first few weeks, yet I get on with the people I live with really well and I'm still having a very good time here. It's important to just be yourself and not to expect the world from the very beginning, I think =)

this is true, and i have the next 7 and a half months to relax and acknowledge that i will be 230 miles away from my home! i think i really freaked out on the way there when i realised how far it was, even though i was asleep the whole way!!

I'm gonna try to do that too. I know it's unlikely that I'll be really good friends with the people in my flat, but I'd like to at least get on with them okay and be on generally good terms with them. One of my friends really hates all of his flatmates and hates being in his flat because it's filled with tension :s-smilie: I'd absolutely hate that.

I can imagine it being difficult suddenly moving that far away :frown: I'm glad that it's going in the opposite direction for me haha. He was 4 hours away, now he's at uni he's only 2 hours away, ad he'll be practically on my doorstop come October :biggrin: Me and my boyfriend didn't do anything for Valentine's day this year. I saw him at the weekend but left on the 13th :tongue:

Mm, I'm glad I'll get to apply early so I'll probably get the accommodation I want and I'll be in a flat of equally geeky enthusiastic people :tongue: I think I'd ideally like maybe an 8-12ish people flat (assuming it had a nice, big kitchen!), since 5-6 sounds too small and 16 sounds intimidatingly big :redface: And I'm pretty sure I'll want ensuite too. I wouldn't necessarily mind having a shared bathroom, but knowing me I'd be really unlucky and end up in a flat full of slobs who don't clean up after themselves and would drive me insane by the end of the year. I'm ignoring the fact that I could still end up with people who leave the kitchen in a mess all the time :tongue:

I think I'll automatically be in the English society, and I'm definitely going to join the music society, but I'm not sure beyond that. Perhaps film socs, and I might try getting involved with one of the student papers, but I don't really know...

you're so lucky to be going the other way, means your life will get better in everyway basically! i'll just win some, and lose some :P i know my boyf is dying to visit york, cos i mean he thought he was gonna get to months ago haha! we normally just go to our fave restaurant on valentines, but this year cos we couldn't see each other, we send presents. but i feel bad, he got me this massive bouquet and i feel bad cos i know it'll die and that he isn't made of money!! still it was nice to wake up and see it this morning!
oh god messy kitchens will be just about bareable, i'm such a neat freak!! in snazzy alcuin you get a double kitchen, you get 2 of eveerything!! there's like a kitchen on each wall and 12 of you share it, but 112 quid a week is a LOT! don't get me started on messy bathrooms, i was at my boyfriends house and actually started cleaning their sink cos it was FOUL!! but if you don't get en suite you generally get your own sink so that's cool. i have to wear contact lenses to look socially acceptable, so i need a nice clean sink!
student papers could be really interesting, you'd feel like a celebrity when your work was published :P i'm tempted to do skiing/snowboarding or horse riding but these are such expensive activities and i'm also scared of making a tit of myself! well if i do i could always never go again :P
ha, frankfurters are GROSS!
nah boring is cool - i don't want any wild parties, just a nice hot chocolate and people to chat with and do cool things with! plus, a good nights sleep at least a few nights a week!!
cell block c - or n block, doesn't even look that bad. they have 6 people to a shower, that's like nothing compared to 10!!

Are you me? :tongue:

I don't want to end up living with either mega party people or particularly non-party people... just fun, nice, hot chocolate loving people :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
you're so lucky to be going the other way, means your life will get better in everyway basically! i'll just win some, and lose some :P i know my boyf is dying to visit york, cos i mean he thought he was gonna get to months ago haha! we normally just go to our fave restaurant on valentines, but this year cos we couldn't see each other, we send presents. but i feel bad, he got me this massive bouquet and i feel bad cos i know it'll die and that he isn't made of money!! still it was nice to wake up and see it this morning!
oh god messy kitchens will be just about bareable, i'm such a neat freak!! in snazzy alcuin you get a double kitchen, you get 2 of eveerything!! there's like a kitchen on each wall and 12 of you share it, but 112 quid a week is a LOT! don't get me started on messy bathrooms, i was at my boyfriends house and actually started cleaning their sink cos it was FOUL!! but if you don't get en suite you generally get your own sink so that's cool. i have to wear contact lenses to look socially acceptable, so i need a nice clean sink!
student papers could be really interesting, you'd feel like a celebrity when your work was published :P i'm tempted to do skiing/snowboarding or horse riding but these are such expensive activities and i'm also scared of making a tit of myself! well if i do i could always never go again :P

Messy kitchens would reeeeeeally piss me off. I thought about going catered to avoid having to put up with it, but I really love cooking and I'm a picky eater and vegetarian so catered probably wouldn't be so fun.

I think Alcuin has some slightly cheaper accommodation, doesn't it? I'm a bit put of Alcuin by the things people have said on here about it being very antisocial...I don't want to be somewhere really rowdy, but I don't want the opposite extreme either. I'm going to try to get the cheaper band of ensuite :biggrin:

I'm definitely not joining any sports societies :tongue: I'm far too lazy for that, and the price would put me off anyway.

ollypocket
x

We should all live in a flat together. We could have a different flavour of hot chocolate every night :awesome:
Reply 99
Original post by ollypocket
Are you me? :tongue:

I don't want to end up living with either mega party people or particularly non-party people... just fun, nice, hot chocolate loving people :biggrin:

maybe i am you, maybe we are twins. since you are from london too!!
we can have a hot chocolate party!!

Messy kitchens would reeeeeeally piss me off. I thought about going catered to avoid having to put up with it, but I really love cooking and I'm a picky eater and vegetarian so catered probably wouldn't be so fun.

I think Alcuin has some slightly cheaper accommodation, doesn't it? I'm a bit put of Alcuin by the things people have said on here about it being very antisocial...I don't want to be somewhere really rowdy, but I don't want the opposite extreme either. I'm going to try to get the cheaper band of ensuite :biggrin:

I'm definitely not joining any sports societies :tongue: I'm far too lazy for that, and the price would put me off anyway.

We should all live in a flat together. We could have a different flavour of hot chocolate every night :awesome:

ah veggie and catered def would not go together well i doubt! i bet all breakfast is is just bacon EVERYWHERE!
yeah it has some band 3, which is 106 quid i think. and the band 3 is really nice, i'd say just as nice as the band 4. it's 8 people to a kitchen in the block i had a look around! i'm like a knowledge machine about york atm, and pandas haha. the cool thing about the band 3 is, they have under bed draws! that's like a whole new level of storage space, so useful!
i know people have said bad things about alcuin, it was quite quiet but obvs people must go out and socialise. james is tempting, so close to the gym and i will be forcing myself to the gym in search of some endorphins! its weird though, james band 4 looks rough in the pics, its juts a big room with a big bathroom but a horrible bed and desk... rather have small and nice i think!

this flat would be awesome, if we fail to make any friends and find no people who want to share with us, we'll get this flat haha. i bought some new hot choc yest - but i'm yet to try it cos i also bought some chocolate milk :smile:

Quick Reply