The Student Room Group

Weighted Uni grade calculator

Just thought i'd let people know I've set up a weighted grade calculator (i'll put the link at the bottom of this post - hope that's ok with mods) so you can work out your weighted average pretty easily.

Had a couple of low grades recently and found there wasn't much out there to work out what it would do to my overall grades (except the Mercer University page, but I'm not too sure many people know about it and its quite hard to find) so I cracked this out this morning.

Let me know what you think, and I hope it's useful to some people.

http://unigradecalc.com/

Matt
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why not do it in Excel?
Reply 2
Original post by mac32
Why not do it in Excel?

Because you don't always have the time or program to use Excel and not everyone is sure of the maths, hence why I set this up :smile:
Reply 3
I found this quite useful!
Reply 4
I suppose it'll be helpful to some people, but I don't really see the point. I mean, we're talking simple percentages here - that's hardly advanced maths, is it? So why are people finding this hard when everything that's needed is a pocket calculator?:s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by bjr16
I found this quite useful!

Yep that looks great for AS/A2. The problem with Uni grades is that they are weighted within the module between different assessments and again for the overall grade weighted by the type of module. Not rocket science but I hope it proves helpful for someone wanting to work things out quickly.
Reply 6
Original post by hobnob
I suppose it'll be helpful to some people, but I don't really see the point. I mean, we're talking simple percentages here - that's hardly advanced maths, is it? So why are people finding this hard when everything that's needed is a pocket calculator?:s-smilie:

Simplicity in a word. When you're trying to work out what getting a 30 in an assessment worth 15% of your coursework grade 60% of the module is coursework and 40% exam, it's far easier to bash a couple of numbers in than get out your calculator.

It will be far easier/quicker to work our what your weighted average over 5 assessments worth varying percentages (e.g. in one of my modules, 12.15, 12.5, 10, 20 and 50%) using something like this than doing it manually don't you think? :smile:

I often use something like this to work out what affect a grade I get has and then what marks I need ot get in the future to maintain an average of say 60.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Matt J
Simplicity in a word. When you're trying to work out what getting a 30 in an assessment worth 15% of your coursework grade 60% of the module is coursework and 40% exam, it's far easier to bash a couple of numbers in than get out your calculator.

But using a calculator also involves nothing more than punching in a couple of numbers, no?
It will be far easier/quicker to work our what your weighted average over 5 assessments worth varying percentages (e.g. in one of my modules, 12.15, 12.5, 10, 20 and 50%) using something like this than doing it manually don't you think? :smile:

I often use something like this to work out what affect a grade I get has and then what marks I need ot get in the future to maintain an average of say 60.

Well, calculating weighted modules manually has always worked fine for me, but as I said I'm sure there are people who will find this useful.:dontknow:
Reply 8
Original post by hobnob
But using a calculator also involves nothing more than punching in a couple of numbers, no?

Indeed it does, if you keep one with you all the time, and are confident about not making mistakes :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Matt J
Indeed it does, if you keep one with you all the time, and are confident about not making mistakes :smile:

Well, if you're using a computer anyway, you've normally got access to a calculator, no?:wink:
Reply 10
Original post by hobnob
Well, if you're using a computer anyway, you've normally got access to a calculator, no?:wink:

Yep - but you can't easily adjust figures etc like that. I don't deny it can be done on a calculator at all, but even if you can do it it's not as quick imo - hence the site.

As you say, some will find it useful some wont :smile: I hope many will.
Jeez! Stop bashing it. If you don't find it useful don't use it!

Good work. Rather useful :smile:

:party:
Not sure if your looking for feedback, but it needs to be a bit more complicated.

So split into years, modules and assignments+exams

For me year 1 is worth nothing, year 2 is worth 1/3 and year 3 worth 2/3 and then within that i have 8 modules each year with varying numbers of courseworks.

In order to use your calculator i have to do a lot of additional maths - making it relatively useless. If you could incorporate what i have mentioned above, and then maybe a "what grade do i need to average in the rest of my exams/courseworks to get a 2.1/1st etc" feature, that would be pretty cool
It calculates something that may or may not be of use to you depending on whether your university uses this system to assess overall performance.
Yeah this doesn't work. It was telling me I got 16.67% for my coursework in one of my modules when really it was first class. Not very useful if it doesn't take into consideration anything that isn't graded by percentages.
Original post by Matt J
Just thought i'd let people know I've set up a weighted grade calculator (i'll put the link at the bottom of this post - hope that's ok with mods) so you can work out your weighted average pretty easily.

Had a couple of low grades recently and found there wasn't much out there to work out what it would do to my overall grades (except the Mercer University page, but I'm not too sure many people know about it and its quite hard to find) so I cracked this out this morning.

Matt

Looks nice but unless I'm mistaken I could just use a calculator and plug in the numbers for:
i(Marki×Percentageij(Percentagej))\displaystyle \sum_i({Mark_i \times \frac{Percentage_i}{\sum_j(Percentage_j)}})

Or if I wanted it to be more general (would work with Ecosse_14's situation):
i(MarkiTotalMarki×Percentageij(Percentagej))\displaystyle \sum_i({\frac{Mark_i}{TotalMark_i} \times \frac{Percentage_i}{\sum_j(Percentage_j)}})
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Ecosse_14
Yeah this doesn't work. It was telling me I got 16.67% for my coursework in one of my modules when really it was first class. Not very useful if it doesn't take into consideration anything that isn't graded by percentages.

If you don't enter a percentage it will take it to be a 0, purely for the sake of the calculation. This could be what happened here?

As someone posted above, it's useful if your uni and or course use this method of grading, many do hence why I put it online.

The utility of it could easily be expanded as has been posted but this was literally an hour spare. There's nothing in depth about it it's just (at the moment) designed to do one thing.
Reply 17
Thanks for the traffic from this thread thus far. Hope many of you are finding it useful during the exam period.

Good luck with your revision!
Original post by Matt J

Matt

This can't be right. Either that or I'm putting it in wrong. I had a presentation for one of my courses which is worth 20%. I got 13/20 on it, and the exam is worth 80%. No matter what grade I put in as my exam grade, the presentation will pull my overall mark down... 90% -> 74, 80->66, 70->58, 60->50.6.

Basically, whatever I get, my presentation will make me lose an entire classification. Oh but wait, there's more! Even if I get 100% on my presentation it still weighs my overall score down. Lol what

I think I'm just calculating it wrong. That or I don't know how my lecturers are going to actually do it.
Reply 19
Original post by wanderlust.xx
This can't be right. Either that or I'm putting it in wrong. I had a presentation for one of my courses which is worth 20%. I got 13/20 on it, and the exam is worth 80%. No matter what grade I put in as my exam grade, the presentation will pull my overall mark down... 90% -> 74, 80->66, 70->58, 60->50.6.

Basically, whatever I get, my presentation will make me lose an entire classification. Oh but wait, there's more! Even if I get 100% on my presentation it still weighs my overall score down. Lol what

I think I'm just calculating it wrong. That or I don't know how my lecturers are going to actually do it.

The mark for your presentation needs to be a percentage of the overall worth, so f you achieved 13/20, you represent this on the calculation as 65%.

If you enter 65% for 20% of your module, and a hypothetical grade of 90% in the exam for the remaining 80% for example then you will achieve 85% overall.

Apologies for the confusion, I've updated the site to reflect the input.

Quick Reply

Latest