The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough wins best university for fifth year running

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-12489131
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=26&storycode=415180&c=2

Lufbra walks on water :sexface:

Top of the poll - for the fifth year in a row - is Loughborough University, which excelled in respect of its sports facilities, extracurricular activities, campus environment, facilities, social life, students' union and library.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So they f***in oughta!!

:biggrin:
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
If you look at the table you see only 131 respondents, i wonder if that's a representative sample ... LSE is down to 92nd place with only 73 students bothering to respond. seems a pretty lame survey statistically speaking... but congrats anyway
Reply 3
Original post by schroeder's dog
If you look at the table you see only 131 respondents, i wonder if that's a representative sample ... LSE is down to 92nd place with only 73 students bothering to respond. seems a pretty lame survey statistically speaking... but congrats anyway

But there must be some accuracy surely if Loughborough has topped it every year for the past 5 years (with many other universities also sitting in similar places every year in the table). Obviously the more people the better but there would be huge differences every year in the tables if the sample was too small.
Reply 4
the students do not have that high expectations in general so they rate it higher
Reply 5
well i ****ing hated it, so yeah. -1
Mmm I almost firmed Loughborough, but I just didn't like the campus
But fair play
Isn't Loughborough a complete cock-fest though?

It's worse than Imperial in that respect.

I wouldn't want to go there, even though academically it's improving year on year and the sports facilities are fantastic.

I'm not detracting from Loughborough's standing as a good university, btw. Congrats on winning the poll, but really not my cup of tea.
The fact that is was 'voted' a good uni, by its own students, does not make it the best university in the country..

Quote:
"In second place was Sheffield, and third was the University of East Anglia"

Are you having a laugh? This award means very little tbh...
Reply 9
Original post by rvp-fan1
the students do not have that high expectations in general so they rate it higher

If you believe that's the case, then explain why Westminster and Uni of East London are at the bottom of the table. :rolleyes:
Good on Loughborough. It's always encouraging when the students are so clearly satisfied with their university; after all, the most reliable recommendations are underpinned by personal experience, so I consider student satisfaction metrics much more pertinent to undergraduate courses than research quality etc.

Loughborough is really underestimated by the general populace, I hope they keep up their winning streak :biggrin:

EDIT: seriously, neg repped for this? :lolwut:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ilickbatteries

I wouldn't want to go there, even though academically it's improving year on year and the sports facilities are fantastic.

I'm not detracting from Loughborough's standing as a good university, btw. Congrats on winning the poll, but really not my cup of tea.

Have you ever visited Loughborough University? I had a completely different view of it before I went, then I fell in love with the place and now I go here.

Oh, and "completely cock-fest" it is not - there's an even amount of boys:girls on my course (at least, that's how it looks) and in my halls, but obviously on courses like engineering there are more guys:girls. On nights out you can't really tell.

It might be a cockfest, but the girls make up for it.

Imperial's 63% male, Loughborough is 59%.
(edited 13 years ago)
Congrats to Lougbrough but it really doesn't make it the University of the year.
Original post by Melting Sugar.
Have you ever visited Loughborough University? I had a completely different view of it before I went, then I fell in love with the place and now I go here.

Oh, and "completely cock-fest" it is not - there's an even amount of boys:girls on my course (at least, that's how it looks) and in my halls, but obviously on courses like engineering there are more guys:girls. On nights out you can't really tell.

I'm sure there are like, two or three universities in the country where men outnumber women.

63:37 M:F according to unistats. Obv there will be some more feminine courses, but few and far between.
Not surprised tbh

It's bad, but certainly not as bad as Imperial in the boy/girl ratio lol.
(edited 13 years ago)
I attended Loughborough for 2 months. Absolutely hated it and the only reason its winning these things is because its home to some of the most annoyingly competitive toss pots in the country :smile:
Reply 18
I don't know why it won. I mean it's ok but there are definitely better and much nicer universities.

I did my undergraduate degree at Lboro and find my experience of Birmingham is much better in terms of facilities, nightlife and campus.
I think we can agree the survey is probably flawed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending