Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Football forum changes. Add your suggestions.

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    After recent discussion with a few members, there are some changes we'd be interested in making. If you could read about the changes below, give your opinion on them (even if it's just a simple for/against, preferably with reasoning) and also add any suggestions of your own, it'd be much appreciated. :yy:

Matchday threads

The main proposal is that of more individual match threads. Each week, there would be a main thread created with a list of all the upcoming fixtures and details of TV coverage, the main fixtures would have their own threads (which would be linked in the OP) for discussion and all other matches could be discussed in the initial thread.

This would mean that the societies are no longer used for match discussion in the way that they currently are, but more for general club news/discussion and some of the build up to matches in the week(s) before they take place.

Some of the advantages:
    • Common thread for supporters of both teams (and neutrals) to discuss matches
    • A place for supporters of teams which aren't well represented to post about and discuss their team's matches
    • Less spam in the society threads - especially beneficial for those not online during a game

I'd like to thank the creative genius that is Colbert for his input with this suggestion. :adore:

Other ideas? (will add suggestions in the thread to this list)

European thread split?

Not too sure about this one, but I thought it may be an idea to split the current European football thread in 3:

-A thread for Spanish football
    -A thread for Italian football
    -A remaining thread for all other Euro football talk

Whilst this may help separate talk on different leagues and encourage more posts on other leagues in the current thread, it may have an adverse effect causing talk on all other leagues to die out. :dontknow:

Anyway, could be worth a trial period if others agree?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    What would "main fixtures" mean. As in, how many individual match threads would there be? I'd imagine Utd and Arsenal would get one every week considering the general activity on those threads, but beyond that? Obviously a lot would depend on the fixtures that week, but i'm just thinking if we had 5 plus individual threads, plus the societies, plus whatever other threads are around then the forum could get a bit messy.

I'd suggest a subforum for them but i'd be worried they'd get hidden away and not used :dontknow:

I do like individual match theads though, they'll work really well when there's a match between two teams with active societies on here, or the big televised CL games. Would definitely like to see how the idea works.

Don't think there's enough activity on the European thread to warrant a split, and a Euro thread excluding Spain and Italy would die out straight away. Not sure the Italy one would have that much activity either.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ban people from starting idiotic threads

But seriously, I do think matchday thread are a good idea; the way matches are discussed now, usually in soc threads, makes things kind of fragmented and it's hard to know where to post if you're a neutral.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh btw, can this thread be permanently stickied please If that wasn't the plan already...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's kind of the purpose of this thread - to help determine things like which sort of game would warrant a thread. As you say, United and Arsenal would both definitely get one, then, depending on the game, perhaps Liverpool and City too. I don't think the general activity in any of the other socs on matchday warrants a separate thread, that's open to debate, though. Like you say, big CL games and perhaps some others from across the continent could also have their own threads. Initially, I was thinking the same as what you've suggested - a match thread sub-forum, it'd keep them separate from the other threads and all together, but if there were only 3/4 threads a week I'm not sure that'd be enough for a sub-forum. Perhaps it'd be an idea to start with any threads in this forum and if the idea proves popular, a sub-forum could be considered? :holmes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    Oh btw, can this thread be permanently stickied please If that wasn't the plan already...
    Yeah, I don't see there being a problem with that. :yy:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The problem with having only Utd and Arsenal threads would be that the main thread would get cluttered. Say Spurs, Liverpool and Villa all had 3pm games. There's usually a fair amount of discussion from all 3 of those socs, forcing them all into 1 thread at the same time on top of whoever else is playing would be impossible to follow.

Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, City, Spurs and Newcastle are the only fairly active socs I can think of, maybe West Ham as well. I'd say the first 3 should get individual match threads pretty much every week, and then whatever matches are televised should probably get one as well. Beyond that maybe only if there's a match between two teams with active socs here, but there's a good chance of that being on TV anyway. If there are lots of socs with games at the same time perhaps you or whoever is organising it should use a bit of common sense, but the basic template should be Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool (though that's debatable), games moved for TV (unless it's dross no one cares about) and games between teams with active socs. That's for the Prem, you'd probably need one for any CL game involving an English team as well.

Looking at that I think there will be loads of threads so a sub forum would be the best option. Have the original thread on the main page with links to all the matches in the sub forum and put up big flashing notices saying match discussion in here for the first few weeks. Would probably also be worth posting a link to the discussion thread in each of the socs to draw attention to it.

I may be suggesting too many individual threads here and the sub forum may be a bit ott :dontknow:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    All sounds good, tbh, I tend to agree with most of what you have to say.

It's possible to copy threads into multiple forums, so, if there were a sub-forum, I'd be in favour of copying the main post into both forums rather than just having it in the main football forum. It could be stickied in both (for the duration of the gameweek) allowing everyone to see it and making it easily accessible from both areas. Notices around the forum and posting in socs about the changes would certainly both be done, too. I don't think you are suggesting too many threads and I don't think the sub-forum would be ott, unless only a few threads were being made - given this stage of the season where there are more important cup games, too, I very much doubt that'd be a problem, though.

So, to clarify, for premier league games, it'd be:
    • Ultimate matchday discussion thread
    • Arsenal match thread
    • Utd match thread
    • Liverpool match thread
    • City match thread (possibly, perhaps dependent on opposition)
    • Match thread for any decent televised game
    • Match thread for any game featuring a combination of City/Newcastle/Spurs/Chelsea/Villa/West Ham

For Champion's league:
    • Any game featuring an English side
    • Any other selected 'big' games

Then threads for any big games from across the continent - El Clasico and the like. Also, for FA cup games featuring the team's of the most active socs and perhaps a thread for each game for the semis and the final.

In theory that could be quite a lot of threads so I'll try and find out a bit more about the possibility of a sub forum and get back to you.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good good :yy:

Final thing, I think if there isn't a individual thread for their match people should be able to post in their own socs to avoid having their discussion mangled with other games at the same time. It might slightly negate the point of the original thread but it could still be used as a guide to the week's football, general discussion about the week and a reference point to all the match threads.

Obviously leave it a while and let lots of other people have their say before doing anything concrete.

Edit- oh, and I think we may be putting yet another nail into the coffin of the Ultimate Football Thread :nopity:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    And I have another suggestion as to how to make this forum a better place. Un-ban Ryan Shawcross :daydreaming:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Edit- oh, and I think we may be putting yet another nail into the coffin of the Ultimate Football Thread :nopity:
    Apparently the UFT was once meant as a discussion thread for all matches, but the formation of societies caused that to die out. Tbh, I think it's still a decent place to post any news that doesn't warrant a thread of it's own and doesn't belong in a soc. Doesn't get any great discussion, but it's not a bad thread for keeping up with general football news. :dontknow:

And I have another suggestion as to how to make this forum a better place. Un-ban Ryan Shawcross :daydreaming:
    Without the mystery I'm worried he'd not be what he once was. :sad:
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    Joke of a thread tbpfhwym. Not even read it yet tbf
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK.)
    All sounds good, tbh, I tend to agree with most of what you have to say.

It's possible to copy threads into multiple forums, so, if there were a sub-forum, I'd be in favour of copying the main post into both forums rather than just having it in the main football forum. It could be stickied in both (for the duration of the gameweek) allowing everyone to see it and making it easily accessible from both areas. Notices around the forum and posting in socs about the changes would certainly both be done, too. I don't think you are suggesting too many threads and I don't think the sub-forum would be ott, unless only a few threads were being made - given this stage of the season where there are more important cup games, too, I very much doubt that'd be a problem, though.

So, to clarify, for premier league games, it'd be:
    • Ultimate matchday discussion thread
    • Arsenal match thread
    • Utd match thread
    • Liverpool match thread
    • City match thread (possibly, perhaps dependent on opposition)
    • Match thread for any decent televised game
    • Match thread for any game featuring a combination of City/Newcastle/Spurs/Chelsea/Villa/West Ham

For Champion's league:
    • Any game featuring an English side
    • Any other selected 'big' games

Then threads for any big games from across the continent - El Clasico and the like. Also, for FA cup games featuring the team's of the most active socs and perhaps a thread for each game for the semis and the final.

In theory that could be quite a lot of threads so I'll try and find out a bit more about the possibility of a sub forum and get back to you.
    This all sounds pretty fair to me - it would certainly be ridiculous to make a thread for two teams whose societies are thoroughly inactive.

I'm mainly just posting here in case I think of anything today to add later.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Multicoloured sticky threads tbf :sexface:

I don't know if we need individual match threads unless they are big league games on TV between two teams who would generate a lot of discussion. If a game isn't on TV I doubt there would be enough people following the game illegally to warrant an entire thread, but the vast majority (all?) games worth discussing are on Sky anyway so this probably wouldn't matter too much. The only games worth a thread of their own would be Sky early kickoffs on a Saturday and Sky games on Sundays, and only then if they include top 5 sides. Games on ESPN can die in a fire, noone watches it.

I don't think a strict regime of weekly Arsenal and United threads are necessary because if they aren't on TV noone else will be watching, so this discussion may as well be kept in the 'ultimate' weekly discussion thread

All CL games with English representation probably deserve a dedicated thread as many neutrals follow these, especially on ITV. Plus an entire day (if not more) of buildup would be pretty cool on here.

Splitting the Euro thread is a decent idea, but the thread is basically:
    • The odd person posting Dortmund scores
    • Charzinho plus a couple others discussing Inter and Napoli and not much else
    • Barca and S-Man discussing DNA

So each of these items is probably not worth a thread to themselves.

Ultimate Football Thread still has a place for minor news items and is a one-stop shop for merging terrible threads so no reason for it's demise just yet.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    BFC 4 lyf :love:
    The 3pm games involving Utd or Arsenal (although rare) usually get a decent amount of discussion, having them in a thread discussing 5/6/7 other matches would be a nightmare. If they don't warrant an individual thread then the discussion should be kept in their socs.

I wasn't saying the UFT should be abolished by any means, but this will result in a further decrease in activity on it.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    The 3pm games involving Utd or Arsenal (although rare) usually get a decent amount of discussion, having them in a thread discussing 5/6/7 other matches would be a nightmare. If they don't warrant an individual thread then the discussion should be kept in their socs.

I wasn't saying the UFT should be abolished by any means, but this will result in a further decrease in activity on it.
    What the **** is a BFC :facepalm2:

There are rarely 5/6/7 other games taking place ffs, especially that many with people actually discussing. Most of those are filler and probably a couple of token bigger teams who don't generate that much forum activity anyway (Chelsea, City, Liverpool). If any of these games were worth their salt Sky would have moved them to a better time slot, and at the very least ESPN would have stolen them away to their 5.30pm kickoff slot.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    What the **** is a BFC :facepalm2:

There are rarely 5/6/7 other games taking place ffs, especially that many with people actually discussing. Most of those are filler and probably a couple of token bigger teams who don't generate that much forum activity anyway (Chelsea, City, Liverpool). If any of these games were worth their salt Sky would have moved them to a better time slot, and at the very least ESPN would have stolen them away to their 5.30pm kickoff slot.
    Well last week I think the 3pm PL games were Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa and Newcastle (and West Ham) out of the regular socs we have. Having a simultaenous discussion about the Pool and Arsenal games would be difficult, and then there would be a few posts about the Villa/Newcastle games as well.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well last week I think the 3pm PL games were Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa and Newcastle out of the regular socs we have. Having a simultaenous discussion about the Pool and Arsenal games would be difficult, and then there would be a few posts about the Villa/Newcastle games as well.
    I dunno. We have one Villa fan on here, a handful of Liverpool regulars and then it's all Arsenal. It wouldn't make it ever so difficult to follow what's happening. I think people would still use the Soc to bitch about their players during matchtime, but a central thread for everyone to use would open things up a little more.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I dunno. We have one Villa fan on here, a handful of Liverpool regulars and then it's all Arsenal. It wouldn't make it ever so difficult to follow what's happening. I think people would still use the Soc to bitch about their players during matchtime, but a central thread for everyone to use would open things up a little more.
    I'm a bit resistant to a general thread to discuss numerous matches. The Utd game next week is a 3pm along with 4 other matches, I certainly wouldn't want to discuss it along with people talking about the other matches. Fans of Villa/Newcastle probably wouldn't want to discuss their match in a thread dominated almost exclusively by Utd posts, and understandably so. If we don't provide a match thread we should let posters post in their societies.

Next week the 3pm games are:

-Villa v Blackburn
    -Everton v Sunderland
    -Newcastle v Bolton
    -Wigan v Man Utd
    -Wolves v Blackpool

Sunday games:

-West Ham v Liverpool
    Man City v Fulham

Monday:

-Stoke v West Brom

From that list I think the Utd and Pool games should get individual threads. Villa and Newcastle discussion in their threads. Everton and Blackpool games won't get much/any talk, then the Monday night (I assume on TV) game could be discussed in the main thread. Feel free to disagree, select your own...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the idea of a matchday thread, this is usually what we discuss in the soc's, in detail. It just seems a bit chaotic, if it is a high scoring weekend with 4-5 matchs all at the same time, it will just be crazy.

I think for big games like Arsenal V Barca the hype thread did a good job, it made sure we didn't overrun the arsenal soc, and kept the random posters from outside football from ruining their thread. But that was a very big match.

I think the socs are good for line-up, team news, review, maybe some kind of EPL thread for round ups and general outlook, and specific hype threads on request to J.K. such as Arsenal-Tottenham, Man U-Liverpool, big matches which everyone not just specific fan group and even football fans have an intrest in.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 26, 2014
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.