The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tehFrance
I know that, I was just sayin.... forget it.

Well don't say!

'Tis forgotten
Reply 101
Original post by Muscovite
I know, a colleague of mine was amazed that even though Switzerland is in the heart of Europe, it is not a member of the EU. EU isn't the same as European :wink:

True. I would have to pay full fees etc if I wanted to study in the U.K, which kind of sucks. They could have worked out some agreement, lol. But in the end, I'm against Norway joining.
Original post by Sammydemon

Look at those wealthy americans.

This should be the final answer and post on this question, it sums up the correct response to OP perfectly.
Original post by Luceria
True. I would have to pay full fees etc if I wanted to study in the U.K, which kind of sucks. They could have worked out some agreement, lol. But in the end, I'm against Norway joining.

If I was Norwegian I would be as well, I would guess that Norway being in the EEA but not the EU is the perfect arrangement for Norway :smile:
they can't even afford to provide health care for everybody
Reply 105
Lol, sounds like you're jealous of people from Monte Carlo to me!
Okay... so Cities like New York, Chicago, San Francisco (I like San Francisco a lot as they actually care about what their residents health, no McDonalds for me thank you!) cannot compare to them? sheesh sounds like you too have not been to America.

It depends what you like. Depends on what you're looking for but I continue to say city like Paris, Barcelona, Roma, London, Berlin, Vienna etc... there is nothing like that in the US. There is no feeling of history, you don't feel the weight of centuries you feel in a European city. It's something personal and it must make sense for a lot of people as Europe is the most visited place in the world.

It's not like saying USA is no great, but each European cities have a feeling you can't have anywhere else.

Edit : I was talking about tourism and city "beauty", what the relation with McDonald ? ^^
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Shadowplay

And considering you, Made in the USA, called Athens an "armpit" (the cradle of the modern civilization, democracy and all that stuff you soooo love in America) I don't think YOU have a clue about the world. But, you're an American and obviously very patriotic if even your name deals with USA, so it's probably emotions clouding your judgement.

It's a filthy, dirty, disgusting, polluted, crap hole. And those are the good points about it.

I'm not the only one who feels this way:
http://www.freshbusinessthinking.com/news.php?NID=7552&Title=Athens+is+Europe%27s+Least+%27Liveable%27+City%2C+Report+Finds
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Europeans cars are built a hell of a lot better than American.

I didn't say they were poorly built, I just made the point that they are so unbelievable expensive that no one can afford to buy a car that's bigger than a shoe. In the UK, a modestly equipped BMW 3 series costs the same as a 7-series BMW does in the US. That's why you see bigger cars in the US, with more standard equipment and more powerful engines. We can afford it, you can't. :wink:
Why do people keep making thread about Americans? Why don't you make a thread about a different country instead ffs. Seriously though if people are talking about Americans so much it just makes you look like you are definitely jealous.
Original post by Made in the USA
In the UK, a modestly equipped BMW 3 series costs the same as a 7-series BMW does in the US.

Does the US Model include Sales Tax? thought not :rolleyes:
Original post by Muscovite
I'm a European and I've been to america, It was okay i suppose but the food was appaling and the whole style of it (clothes, attitudes, cities) was stuck in the 1980s

What the hell does "been to America" mean? Can you please make a habit of saying what state you visited? Are you folks aware that europe comfortably fits within the USA's borders? If I said I visited europe and the european food sucked, I can only imagine the reaction I'd get.

When I moved to south Florida from the northeast I didn't ever recognize any of the food. I had never seen a plantain in my entire life and had never eaten rice and beans, never heard of flan, and never in my life heard of a Tres leches cake.

If you had gone to the deep south, you may have tried Hamhocks, grits, Souse Meat, chitlins, cracklins or hoppin john. Or maybe you had Pennsylvania Dutch cuisine? Or maybe you went to New Orleans and tried Cajun cuisine? Louisiana Creole cuisine? Tex-Mex or Cal-Mex cuisine? Cuisine of New Mexico?

This is a huge country, which is arguably the most culturally diverse in the world.
Does the US Model include Sales Tax? thought not :rolleyes:

Sales tax is like 6 percent. My argument stands. Put some options on a UK 3 series and it will cost USA 7 series money. Use www.xe.com if you need help converting the currencies.
The US has by far more widespread poverty than any European nation and its Gini coefficient is also higher than that of any European country.
Reply 114

Spoiler

Sales tax is like 6 percent. My argument stands. Put some options on a UK 3 series and it will cost USA 7 series money. Use www.xe.com if you need help converting the currencies.

Guess you are right :smile: I compared them and the difference was like 15,000 :eek: maybe I shoul dget my licence and import :wink: although I'd go with an X5 :smile:
Reply 116
I didn't say they were poorly built, I just made the point that they are so unbelievable expensive that no one can afford to buy a car that's bigger than a shoe. In the UK, a modestly equipped BMW 3 series costs the same as a 7-series BMW does in the US. That's why you see bigger cars in the US, with more standard equipment and more powerful engines. We can afford it, you can't. :wink:

Or maybe they need bigger cars for their fatter bodies.

What the hell does "been to America" mean? Can you please make a habit of saying what state you visited? Are you folks aware that europe comfortably fits within the USA's borders? If I said I visited europe and the european food sucked, I can only imagine the reaction I'd get.

So you're moaning about the guy not specifying the state, even though most Americans can't distinguish between British and English?

History is just one of many reasons to travel. I personally think a city like new york has more to do in terms of culture (Broadway, comedy, museums, exotic cuisine from all over the world) than a sh1thole like athens, greece. Sure, they've got the Acropolis, but the rest of it is a complete armpit.

Detroit, St Louis and Cleveland (which are like most American cities) are much bigger sh1tholes then Athens.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Bourgeois
To all who say that America has a lower standard of living than Europe (or vice versa):

How do you measure the standard of living? (and please dont say HDI), sheer real gdp per capita? $/hr worked? what is your measure? and if you take into account multiple variables (crime, education, poverty, etc), will all of them have the same weight? (not to mention that things like education aren't really quantifiable)

An economist; I like.

Original post by Derezzed
See European Union baby, this thread is about Europe not Britain.
The EU makes America look like a third world country. :teehee:

And that's before you even take into consideration that a significant portion of the EU has a lower standard of living compared to the rest. ie; Eastern europe in comparison to Western Europe. That said you could argue that of America though that is a much more complex case.
(edited 13 years ago)
More Americans still find the time to travel to Europe than the other way around. Only something like 2.5 percent of Europeans have ever been to the USA, which is an astonishingly low number.

That is an incredibly poor statistic to quote. First off; there are several nations in the EU that are poor in comparison to the other nations which means the statistic is unreliable. Secondly; there are a lot of countries within the EU which means that anyone living in any one european nation has a lot of "local" countries to visit before they even consider visiting the US which also can be modified for the US - There is only one nation in the US therefore to see a significantly different country europe is largely considered the best choice.
History is just one of many reasons to travel. I personally think a city like new york has more to do in terms of culture (Broadway, comedy, museums, exotic cuisine from all over the world) than a sh1thole like athens, greece. Sure, they've got the Acropolis, but the rest of it is a complete armpit.

Trolololol. London can match New York and beat it. Not only does it have your definition of culture but it also has hundreds of years of history.

Do you have the faintest idea what economics is? Dear sweet Jesus, I don't even pay that much attention in class yet even I know that the comparable prices of goods and services in other nations is a very good point of evaluation for the standard of living. For example; you may be able to afford better cars HOWEVER because they're cheaper for you that doesn't necessarily mean you have more money than us.

Latest

Trending

Trending