The Student Room Group

24th January 2011 OCR F214 Biology Reaction thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by englishman129
Its more the jump from 40ish to 46 - its huge - and that might cost me the a* grade overall. I think they may be trying to make the a*'s harder to achieve. Who knows.

Yeah, exactly. The jump was too huge. I honetly doubt it is because of the retakers that the GB jumped to such a high mark. The other Bio exam (F315) is filled with retakers yet the GB is 60/100 for an A. So I definitely agree with the idea that perhaps OCR is making the A* harder to achieve.

Everyone with 77UMS+ would have had 90UMS if the grade boundary was 42/60 for an A.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by rtzj00
Last time the grade boundary for an A star was 46/60 and this paper which was harder is higher.... there is something wrong there.

The first F214 was 40/60
The second F214 was 42/60.
Original post by rtzj00
Email:[email protected]

Subject: OCR F214 BIOLOGY EXAM JANUARY 2011

Dear Sir / Madam,

I recently took the A2 f214 Biology paper in January 2011 and was extremely surprised to see such high grade boundaries for an A*, I was wondering whether you could check that no mistake has been made with regards to the grade boundaries, since I have now lost my place at University because of this. I have also heard of many other people who have taken this paper and were equally surprised: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30278331#post30278331.

Many Thanks,

cheers mate.

and done.
Original post by Summerdays
Yeah, exactly. The jump was too huge. I honetly doubt it is because of retaker that the GB jumped to uch a high mark. The other Bio exam (F315) is filed with retakers yet the GB is 60/150. So I definitely agree with the idea that perhaps OCR is making the A* harder to achieve.

Everyone with 77UMS= would have had 90UMS if the grade boundary was 42/60 for an A.

Send an email to [email protected]

This paper was a bloody disgrace..

Can someone set up a facebook page or something (I dont have facebook)

The grade boundaries are calculated how everyone else has done so OCR are not allowed to 'make it harder'- that is theoretically illegal.
We need as many people as possible to send an email for them to assess the situation.
Original post by rtzj00
Send an email to [email protected]

This paper was a bloody disgrace..

Can someone set up a facebook page or something (I dont have facebook)

The grade boundaries are calculated how everyone else has done so OCR are not allowed to 'make it harder'- that is theoretically illegal.

I have :smile:
Reply 646
It does :smile:

I just find it odd that there hasn't been at least one peron in this thread with more than 81(/90) UMS. In the past exams there was at least three or four people with 90/90. 81/90 tranlates to 51/60 raw marks. Most people thought that the grade boundaries would be around 40-42/60.
So it does seem weird, with that in respect.

People in my year got 90/90. Just coincidence none on here i suppose.
People send the email to the head of biology departments at schools and your own school- since if schools complain then we will be probably receive a better response.
Original post by Torrresss
People in my year got 90/90. Just coincidence none on here i suppose.

Ah, really? Fair enough then.
Student room is supposed to be representative and literally less than 1% on here has received above 85/90, there is something wrong there.
Original post by rtzj00
Student room is supposed to be representative and literally less than 1% on here has received above 85/90, there is something wrong there.

Actually... no one has recieved more than 81/90 :/
We need more people to send emails otherwise there is no point....any ideas....
Reply 652
Original post by rtzj00
Student room is supposed to be representative

Lol, no it isn't.
Original post by Beska
Lol, no it isn't.

It is to some degree.
Anyonw know how you convert the UMS score to raw marks? I got 65 out of 90 UMS but I am just curious about my raw marks.
Actually... no one has recieved more than 81/90 :/

I got 83 :smile: I know loads of people from my school with similar marks... there are people with those grades!
I sent an email. I got 68/90 and was expecting an A.
So far I have asked about 50 people / friends who took this paper and 4 people have got above 81.

There is something not right there!
Reply 658
i got 72/90 which i think is just borderline A grade boundary, but I was talking to my teachers and the grade boundaries wont be out for few days, and that apparently it could be 75% for an A instead of conventional 80%, is that true? anyone please shine a light on this cuz no doubt it would defo help especially with quite a hard unit 5 paper. Thank you. Please quote me.
Original post by Soloman
i got 72/90 which i think is just borderline A grade boundary, but I was talking to my teachers and the grade boundaries wont be out for few days, and that apparently it could be 75% for an A instead of conventional 80%, is that true? anyone please shine a light on this cuz no doubt it would defo help especially with quite a hard unit 5 paper. Thank you. Please quote me.

If you read the previous pages, you will see OCR have made an error with the grade boundaries. Send an email to: [email protected]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending