The Student Room Group

8.9 Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan

Scroll to see replies

Oh? Do explain.
Reply 601
Reply 602
Original post by Fusilero
A little aside but Tsunamis and Earthquakes aren't related to the Climate. We could be choking on a 50% CO2 atmosphere and the rate of Earthquakes will remain similar.

Actually the climate could affect the rate of earthquakes.
Original post by Zottula

How so?
A full meltdown only defines a breach of the molten core from the reactor pressure vessel. Aj12 is correct in what he says, insofar as there will not be significant biological impact should the primary containment building (which includes the reactor's basement - the wetwell torus) remain intact.
Reply 605
So explain it then

There is meant to be a containment area underneath the reactor which would stop a meltdown doing to much damage
Reply 606
Original post by Zottula

How?
Reply 607
Original post by F_shakeey
How so?

Original post by bikerx23
How?

Well global warming leads to melting of the ice sheets and when the ice is lost, the earth’s crust bounces back up again and that can trigger earthquakes. The rising seas also change the balance of mass across earth’s surface, putting new strain on old earthquake faults. :smile: Obviously this may have nothing to do with the Japanese earthquake, but the point is that climate change could influence the rate of earthquakes. Not many peeps are aware of how climate change could affect tectonic activity, but I find this sort of thing very interesting.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 608
Original post by Zottula
Well global warming leads to melting of the ice sheets and when the ice is lost, the earth’s crust bounces back up again and that can trigger earthquakes. The rising seas also change the balance of mass across earth’s surface, putting new strain on old earthquake faults. :smile: Obviously this may have nothing to do with the Japanese earthquake, but the point is that climate change could influence the rate of earthquakes. Not many peeps are aware of how climate change could affect tectonic activity, but I find this sort of thing very interesting.

Ah, ok - I thought you were talking in the context of this event (increased frequency of high energy seismic events in past 10 years being quoted by some - not statistically significant at all!)

In reality, isostatic readjustment may not significantly impact the frequency of earthquakes, since it is heavily influenced by the speed at which the mantle can rebound, however, it is likely to impact the distribution of earthquakes (reduced rates of intra-crustal movement because of central plate flexing).

In reality, the rate at which earthquakes can vary is still predicted to be within natural variation. Still, it might sell a few more books for Bill...
Reply 609
Ah, ok - I thought you were talking in the context of this event (increased frequency of high energy seismic events in past 10 years being quoted by some - not statistically significant at all!)

In reality, isostatic readjustment may not significantly impact the frequency of earthquakes, since it is heavily influenced by the speed at which the mantle can rebound, however, it is likely to impact the distribution of earthquakes (reduced rates of intra-crustal movement because of central plate flexing).

In reality, the rate at which earthquakes can vary is still predicted to be within natural variation. Still, it might sell a few more books for Bill...

Yeah I was just talking generally as someone didn't realise there was any link at all.
Original post by Zottula

Ah I see thanks for he insight, still however the main problem I suppose regarding earthquakes is that it is extremely hard to predict them , they are very few and inaccurate ways of foreshadowing an earthquake and so whereas with hurricanes and volcanoes you can predict them (hurricanes very easily since they form in the ocean and take time to arrive) with earthquakes this isnt possible.

In relevance to the thread however, Japanese officials are stating that they are doing their utmost best to contain problems at the nuclear reactors. 'contain' doesnt sound good to me...lets hope they sort it out as soon as possible.
Reply 611
Ah I see thanks for he insight, still however the main problem I suppose regarding earthquakes is that it is extremely hard to predict them , they are very few and inaccurate ways of foreshadowing an earthquake and so whereas with hurricanes and volcanoes you can predict them (hurricanes very easily since they form in the ocean and take time to arrive) with earthquakes this isnt possible.

In relevance to the thread however, Japanese officials are stating that they are doing their utmost best to contain problems at the nuclear reactors. 'contain' doesnt sound good to me...lets hope they sort it out as soon as possible.

Volcanoes aren't any easier to predict than earthquakes, however, we're quite fortunate that they tend to occur in obviously locations, hence it is easier to mitigate against their impact.

With nuclear power stations contain is a technical term - they operate a system of defense in depth, one of the elements of which is effective containment of nuclear material within the pressure vessel. As long as this is not compromised the risks are relatively small.
Reply 612

Yeah unfortunately it's all so vague at the moment. If only we could predict these things :frown:. When I'm older I hope to study earthquakes and maybe in future we'll find better ways of predicting them. Who knows :dontknow:

The whole issue with the nuclear power station is pretty scary. I keep hearing reports of this explosion and that explosion, people being exposed to radiation etc. I'm really hoping it all gets sorted soon. I just feel so bad for everyone having to deal with everything that's happened to them.
Original post by Zottula

Original post by Zottula
The whole issue with the nuclear power station is pretty scary. I keep hearing reports of this explosion and that explosion, people being exposed to radiation etc. I'm really hoping it all gets sorted soon. I just feel so bad for everyone having to deal with everything that's happened to them.

So far, despite some reports verging on the hysterical, there hasn't been a major radiation leak. That would suggest that, at least for now, that the measures taken to ensure safety from a radiological point of view have been effective. I'm sure there are lessons to be learned, such as how to safely vent hydrogen, and it's probably going to cost at least two reactor cores, but that's a pretty minor inconvenience. There's also been plenty of inaccurate reports - one particularly badly phrased BBC article implied that a nuclear meltdown was an automatic shutdown sequence that happened in the event of an earthquake. It very definitely is not - a lot of the reporters could do with a quick read of Wikipedia before opening their mouths!
Does anyone else think that the natural disasters have massively increased since 2010? Haiti, Pakistan Floods, Chile,... some of the most devastating disasters ever have happened in the past just over a year. :frown:

Just hope it gets better very soon for Japan. I think people should think for a few minutes about it in detail about how people are suffering in Japan these days and contribute and help in whatever way they can do, may it be £1.
Reply 615
Original post by Hennnaa
Actually, we're going through the process of the poles swapping, it's not just a quick change, it takes time.
The moon is to blame to some extent, it's actually come closer to us, causing the Tsumani from the earthquake, or something like that. It's what I've heard, I'm no geophysicist, so don't kill me for being a bit stupid :redface:

God Bless

Just to clarify: whilst the earth's magnetic pole has sown evidence of weakening, this does not mean that the poles are in the process of swapping. Whilst there are geological records of this having occurred, the level of detail to relate it to the measurements we are making now is not available. We simply cannot know.

Also, the moon is not to blame to any extent - if it were there would be tsunami's everywhere. Also, the moon has not come closer to the earth - it is at the closest part of it's orbit at approximately this time of year. It is in fact moving away from the earth at the rate of approximately 1/4" per year.

If you think about it, were this to be the case, solar eclipses would result in various catastrophes as the moon and sun combined (fortunately the impact is negligible).
Reply 616
Original post by CurlyBen
So far, despite some reports verging on the hysterical, there hasn't been a major radiation leak. That would suggest that, at least for now, that the measures taken to ensure safety from a radiological point of view have been effective. I'm sure there are lessons to be learned, such as how to safely vent hydrogen, and it's probably going to cost at least two reactor cores, but that's a pretty minor inconvenience. There's also been plenty of inaccurate reports - one particularly badly phrased BBC article implied that a nuclear meltdown was an automatic shutdown sequence that happened in the event of an earthquake. It very definitely is not - a lot of the reporters could do with a quick read of Wikipedia before opening their mouths!

There was a great one earlier on the times website that suggested the control rods were the things in the reactor potentially melting, not the fuel elements (don't see why everyone has started calling them fuel rods, as that nomenclature is never used for precisely this reason!).

The production of hydrogen is not part of the normal operation of this type of reactor (or at least in any great volume) hence it was always likely to lead to problems. Fortunately, all of the stations operating in the UK are not prone to such faults, so we have little to worry about.
Volcanoes aren't any easier to predict than earthquakes, however, we're quite fortunate that they tend to occur in obviously locations, hence it is easier to mitigate against their impact.

Not really.
Volcanoes have numerous subtle ways of telling us they're going to erupt (seismic activity, bulging, gaseous venting etc). OK it's not an exact science and sometimes these things happen without being followed by an actual eruption - but unlike earthquakes, few volcanic eruptions occur in the click of a finger and without any warning.
Original post by Student2806
Not really.
Volcanoes have numerous subtle ways of telling us they're going to erupt (seismic activity, bulging, gaseous venting etc). OK it's not an exact science and sometimes these things happen without being followed by an actual eruption - but unlike earthquakes, few volcanic eruptions occur in the click of a finger and without any warning.

All the above is true and just to add on that research upon volcanoes unfrotunatly is much more extensive than earthquakes, earthquakes happen all the time but they are so weak we dont notice them however such massive earthquakes like the one in Japan cannot be determined at all, they are aftershocks but not foreshocks - if only there was then predicting them would be far easier :smile:
Reply 619
Original post by Student2806
Not really.

That isn't actually true - whilst there presupposed signals, these are ever-present even through dormant phases. There is in some cases escalation prior to eruption but this is not consistent between volcanic structures and even between successive eruptions from the same volcano. There are some cases where volcanoes provide little evidence they are going to erupt and subsequently do so - Galeras in colombia is a good example of this.

In the case of earthquakes, there are also mechanisms indicating the potential intensification of seismic activity, for example, emission of ground-borne gases decrease due to the increase in pressure within the ground, and there are often changes in groundwater flow patterns. However, like in the case of volcanoes these are neither consistent, and worst of all, you get all the predicted build up with precisely no outcome. The location of the next earthquake cam on most major fault systems also
be reasonably well estimated, as most tend to propose along a major fault zone, for example the Izmit earthquake's fault resolution indicated a propagation fault pressure towards Istanbul.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending