The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Anyone applying to study optometry for 2011 at aston university?

Hello peoples,

i've applied to aston university, got an offer for optometry. was wondering if there's any others on here that are doing the same.

if so, then oink.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AartiSmarti
Hello peoples,

i've applied to aston university, got an offer for optometry. was wondering if there's any others on here that are doing the same.

if so, then oink.

Hey yeah I have an offer from Aston for Optometry too (AAA :eek: ).. But im more towards Manchester for firm.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I've applied too. but I can't decide whether to put Manchester or Aston as firm choice.
Reply 3
Original post by Rosi M
Hey yeah I have an offer from Aston for Optometry too (AAA :eek: ).. But im more towards Manchester for firm.

they're both quite good! depends on your preference really :smile:

it's a shame that only a couple of universities actually do the course!
Reply 4
Original post by sarbak
I've applied too. but I can't decide whether to put Manchester or Aston as firm choice.

visit both open days, unless you already have LOL
makes the decision a little easier.
Reply 5
they're both quite good! depends on your preference really :smile:

it's a shame that only a couple of universities actually do the course!

Yep i know.. like it would be much better if Leeds/Liverpool and other universities did the course. More options for a start!

Manchester! :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by Rosi M
Yep i know.. like it would be much better if Leeds/Liverpool and other universities did the course. More options for a start!

Manchester! :tongue:

mmhmm, other courses have so much choice, it's silly!

oh, i got an offer from them last year. AQA screwed my marks over, so i had to take a gap year. they don't take retakes, so the best option for me is the other one.
:smile:
Reply 7
mmhmm, other courses have so much choice, it's silly!

oh, i got an offer from them last year. AQA screwed my marks over, so i had to take a gap year. they don't take retakes, so the best option for me is the other one.
:smile:

Ah yeah, Manchester don't accept retakes.. typical Manchester, always making life hell!

What grades you heading towards now.. after your resits? :smile:

Chemistry is my major problem.. no matter how much i enjoy it and like it.. it just doesn't appreciate me! :frown:
Reply 8
visit both open days, unless you already have LOL
makes the decision a little easier.

Yeh i have visited both, i think i preferred manchester at the time, but that was because there was loads of building work being done at aston when i visited.
Reply 9
Original post by Rosi M
Ah yeah, Manchester don't accept retakes.. typical Manchester, always making life hell!

What grades you heading towards now.. after your resits? :smile:

Chemistry is my major problem.. no matter how much i enjoy it and like it.. it just doesn't appreciate me! :frown:

i know right, suckers. LOL

i'm heading towards ABB, or AAB at the moment. i've heard they even let you in with 3 B's too. that's what the guy who lets you in, said. what about yourself?
aww, i know how you feel. the only good thing is that they ask the same sort of questions each year for it. just keep at it, and i'm sure you'll do fine!
Reply 10
Original post by sarbak
Yeh i have visited both, i think i preferred manchester at the time, but that was because there was loads of building work being done at aston when i visited.

oh i see! yeah, it depends on what you like really. one is a campus university, and the other is a city one.
they're both alright. i have a few friends that are already there, that really like it.
Reply 11
oh i see! yeah, it depends on what you like really. one is a campus university, and the other is a city one.
they're both alright. i have a few friends that are already there, that really like it.

yeh i think i prefer the campus university idea. Which one are you going to then?
Reply 12
i know right, suckers. LOL

i'm heading towards ABB, or AAB at the moment. i've heard they even let you in with 3 B's too. that's what the guy who lets you in, said. what about yourself?
aww, i know how you feel. the only good thing is that they ask the same sort of questions each year for it. just keep at it, and i'm sure you'll do fine!

Yeah i've heard too that Aston are pretty lenient if you firm them but I do know some people who got rejected with BBB.. i think it depends largely on the amount of people who met their offers. But im sure you'll get higher than BBB :smile:

Well, im hoping for A*AA.. really really really need to do well in my chemistry. Jan paper didn't go well at all even after all the revision i had done so im re-sitting that alongside an AS paper as a backup in case June doesn't go well.. Manchester want A in chemistry and biology no matter what.. no compromise with them lol.. typical!

Yep, past papers do help.. but its just a whole different experience when your sat in the dreaded exam hall with the exam paper staring in your face as you probably know :tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by sarbak
yeh i think i prefer the campus university idea. Which one are you going to then?

i'm going to aston :smile: it's my firm!

what about yourself? have you decided LOL
Reply 14
Original post by Rosi M
Yeah i've heard too that Aston are pretty lenient if you firm them but I do know some people who got rejected with BBB.. i think it depends largely on the amount of people who met their offers. But im sure you'll get higher than BBB :smile:

Well, im hoping for A*AA.. really really really need to do well in my chemistry. Jan paper didn't go well at all even after all the revision i had done so im re-sitting that alongside an AS paper as a backup in case June doesn't go well.. Manchester want A in chemistry and biology no matter what.. no compromise with them lol.. typical!

Yep, past papers do help.. but its just a whole different experience when your sat in the dreaded exam hall with the exam paper staring in your face as you probably know :tongue:

yeah, it really does depend on the amount of people who meet their offers, and the amount that have actually put them down as their firm. he was showing us the statistics on the open day, and last year (well the current year) they let in about 22 people with BBB, probably because they had quite a few spaces!

oh wow, that's superduper. yeah, i've made a thread about that too, there's been so many problems with the january grades with AQA, especially! people who usually get A's have come out with U's. it's really not fair.
LOL yeah, they have high expectations, but they're a great university too. was my firm last year, but aston is alright too, seeing as they accept retakes :smile:

mmhmm, i think exams are evil. we should be tested for intelligence in other ways, such as who can juggle with the most eyes. HAHA, okay, maybe not.
Reply 15
yeah, it really does depend on the amount of people who meet their offers, and the amount that have actually put them down as their firm. he was showing us the statistics on the open day, and last year (well the current year) they let in about 22 people with BBB, probably because they had quite a few spaces!

oh wow, that's superduper. yeah, i've made a thread about that too, there's been so many problems with the january grades with AQA, especially! people who usually get A's have come out with U's. it's really not fair.
LOL yeah, they have high expectations, but they're a great university too. was my firm last year, but aston is alright too, seeing as they accept retakes :smile:

mmhmm, i think exams are evil. we should be tested for intelligence in other ways, such as who can juggle with the most eyes. HAHA, okay, maybe not.

hahaha juggle with most eyes? Seriously that over chemistry and some wierd reaction? ANYDAY! :biggrin:

Yeah OCR (i do OCR for bio &chem).. OCR Chemistry had wierd paper this time.. they said it was their first paper they made which had this particular structure.. grade boundary so high too. They are officially on a mission to make sure most 18 year olds don't go uni.. bet they conspiring with the government.. hmmmm :rolleyes:

Manchester was your firm? Ah good good.. what did you get again? I need to be prepared!
Reply 16
Original post by Rosi M
hahaha juggle with most eyes? Seriously that over chemistry and some wierd reaction? ANYDAY! :biggrin:

Yeah OCR (i do OCR for bio &chem).. OCR Chemistry had wierd paper this time.. they said it was their first paper they made which had this particular structure.. grade boundary so high too. They are officially on a mission to make sure most 18 year olds don't go uni.. bet they conspiring with the government.. hmmmm :rolleyes:

Manchester was your firm? Ah good good.. what did you get again? I need to be prepared!

LOL yay!
yeah, if they continue being so harsh with their marks, i don't think they will have any people applying anymore, haha.
I got BBC (not very good, i know) should have been BBB, but i didn't get my last exam result from AQA which kind of ruined things for me.
A friend of mine, got ABB and got in, and the A wasn't even in the sciences, so don't worry, just keep working hard and you will be fine :smile:
Reply 17
LOL yay!
yeah, if they continue being so harsh with their marks, i don't think they will have any people applying anymore, haha.
I got BBC (not very good, i know) should have been BBB, but i didn't get my last exam result from AQA which kind of ruined things for me.
A friend of mine, got ABB and got in, and the A wasn't even in the sciences, so don't worry, just keep working hard and you will be fine :smile:

BBC is good :smile: But these people are too fussy and want the best of the best of the best!

Oooh ok. Did your friend get into Manchester for Optometry with ABB? & how recent was this?
Reply 18
Original post by Rosi M
BBC is good :smile: But these people are too fussy and want the best of the best of the best!

Oooh ok. Did your friend get into Manchester for Optometry with ABB? & how recent was this?

yeah, it was this year. the current one. even my offer was for ABB too.

so i strongly think that with ABB you're guaranteed a place :smile:
Reply 19
yeah, it was this year. the current one. even my offer was for ABB too.

so i strongly think that with ABB you're guaranteed a place :smile:

:eek: :eek: :eek: ABB this year?!?!?! Whoaaaa major shock. i got a damn offer for bio A Chem A psychology B! Some people i met in interview got offer for AAA. I have hope now! :tongue:

Quick Reply