The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by ben-smith
Nice to see this thread growing.

Just got the princeton companion to mathematics. It's pretty damn awesome.

Anyone seen any good problems recently?

I have that book on my shelf, I should probably read that next... =/
Good luck reading it in it's entirety:tongue:
Reply 62
Nice to see this thread growing.

Just got the princeton companion to mathematics. It's pretty damn awesome.

Anyone seen any good problems recently?

so jealous you have the princeton companion =p I will be ordering myself one in the summer.
Reply 63
Btw, I don't suppose anyone has done S4, M4 or Fp3 yet? I have to self teach one so I was wondering which would be the easiest, I imagine it's S4, but any insights? Also I have to decide the order in which I want to do my modules, which should I do first, obviously I won't do M5 until I've finished these. I know I should probably finish the previous modules before I start thinking about these but I just want to have an order sorted. :smile: Thanks
Reply 64
Good luck reading it in it's entirety:tongue:

It may take a few weeks, or maybe months but i'll get through it. :tongue:
Original post by Hoody93
Btw, I don't suppose anyone has done S4, M4 or Fp3 yet? I have to self teach one so I was wondering which would be the easiest, I imagine it's S4, but any insights? Also I have to decide the order in which I want to do my modules, which should I do first, obviously I won't do M5 until I've finished these. I know I should probably finish the previous modules before I start thinking about these but I just want to have an order sorted. :smile: Thanks

I haven't and I would be surprised if anyone else had done such advanced modules. Are you in year 12?
Reply 66
I haven't and I would be surprised if anyone else had done such advanced modules. Are you in year 12?

Yeah, I'm not doing them until next year in additional, but i did 4 modules last year in year 11. and with doing additional i'm doing them in a weird order!
Reply 67
Original post by Hoody93
Yeah, I'm not doing them until next year in additional, but i did 4 modules last year in year 11. and with doing additional i'm doing them in a weird order!

OMG S4 is really easy. You should definitely self teach yourself that module. I'm on edexcel by the way. M4 will be difficult to self teach. FP3 is kinda in the middle.
Reply 68
Original post by anshul95
OMG S4 is really easy. You should definitely self teach yourself that module. I'm on edexcel by the way. M4 will be difficult to self teach. FP3 is kinda in the middle.

I'm on edexcel, I think it's an awesome board! S4's easy? Fantastic. Yeah I didn't think m4 would be easy by any means! Which one did you enjoy most, because i think fp3 looks amazing all the integration and differentiation... wow.
Wow just googled that princeton companion book. that's quite a big and expensive book. Don't think i'll be getting that any time soon. Would take me months to read it completely anyway.
Reply 70
If we're the only people that want to do maths next year, then we're all off to oxbridge. :wink:
Original post by Hoody93
If we're the only people that want to do maths next year, then we're all off to oxbridge. :wink:

I think judging by your grades and stuff you've got a guaranteed place at oxford or Cambridge anyway. I'm not intending on applying to Oxbridge however if I decide last minute to do so it will be for engineering as it's way less competitive than maths. Got no chance at maths at either because my gcse's are pretty average.
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
Wow just googled that princeton companion book. that's quite a big and expensive book. Don't think i'll be getting that any time soon. Would take me months to read it completely anyway.

http://uploadingit.com/d/lbkrk

*cough *cough

(To any mods my keyboard is broke and just started typing random letters above)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Hoody93

Hopefully!
Original post by ilovedubstep
http://uploadingit.com/d/lbkrk

*cough *cough

(To any mods my keyboard is broke and just started typing random letters above)

Haha thanks, you can delete now if you want to avoid getting banned or anything.
real classy guys.
(just spent birthday book vouchers on it)
Reply 76
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
I think judging by your grades and stuff you've got a guaranteed place at oxford or Cambridge anyway. I'm not intending on applying to Oxbridge however if I decide last minute to do so it will be for engineering as it's way less competitive than maths. Got no chance at maths at either because my gcse's are pretty average.

University places are getting so competitive now, that i don't think you can say anyone is guaranteed a place anywhere. Also at oxford next year they want an A* in maths and further maths!
Original post by Hoody93
University places are getting so competitive now, that i don't think you can say anyone is guaranteed a place anywhere. Also at oxford next year they want an A* in maths and further maths!

Ouch could be worse, they could have asked for S in step I, II and III. But in all honestly i don't think you need to worry yourself too much.
Reply 78
Could you imagine, tbh step is the only maths I've ever come across that I go wtf? Where do I start? Some of the question... I go to the step teacher and say so how would i do this, then she ponders and says i have no idea, i'm left thinking "greeaaat"...
real classy guys.
(just spent birthday book vouchers on it)

I would be extremely annoyed too, but to be honest it's easier to read from a book than a computer.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest