The Student Room Group

Is biology absolutely necessary for medicine?

Currently, my A level options are set up as Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics. I intend to apply for medicine, but I am really interested in economics and have an interest in pursuing it further at university, if medicine doesn't work out. If anything, I'd just like to keep the option open.

However, I've heard loads of conflicting information about whether or not biology is really necessary for studying medicine at university. I intend to apply for Cambridge, Imperial and Queen Mary. I'd like a clear cut answer for just how beneficial it is. I can probably get A*s at A2 in Maths, Further Maths and Physics, but an A in Chemistry and Economics. If I take biology, I'm likely to get an A there too.

Thanks for any help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You cannot tell if you'll get A* in an A level when you're picking your subject choices. Have you even done your GCSE's yet?
Reply 2
Can you do medicine without Biology? Yes.
Should you apply to medicine without Biology? Probably not.
You can but you'll be at a severe disadvantage, and some unis won't take you at all because they only require biology or require both bio and chem.
not having biolgoy a level will put you at an disadvantage
i have a friend who wants to do medicine for 2012 entry but he didnt take biology AS, now he's planning to take it in yr 13.
Reply 5
Basic answer if you will get destroyed if you dont. :smile:
Original post by OP-MD
Currently, my A level options are set up as Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics. I intend to apply for medicine, but I am really interested in economics and have an interest in pursuing it further at university, if medicine doesn't work out. If anything, I'd just like to keep the option open.

However, I've heard loads of conflicting information about whether or not biology is really necessary for studying medicine at university. I intend to apply for Cambridge, Imperial and Queen Mary. I'd like a clear cut answer for just how beneficial it is. I can probably get A*s at A2 in Maths, Further Maths and Physics, but an A in Chemistry and Economics. If I take biology, I'm likely to get an A there too.

Thanks for any help.

"Biology is Medicine" and "Medicine is Biology".....If you want to do Medicine, Biology should be your number one subject...

Just like asking is it necessary to take Maths, if you intend to study engineering.......
Reply 7
I'd hazard a guess at "VERY BENEFICIAL" considering that (besides the plant stuff) Bio is about the body. Which you'll be seeing a lot of in Medicine.
Original post by int_applicant

"Biology is Medicine" and "Medicine is Biology".....If you want to do Medicine, Biology should be your number one subject...

Just like asking is it necessary to take Maths, if you intend to study engineering.......

No, Chemistry should be your number one subject

OP, why don't you look online at various medical schools and research it for yourself :smile: It'll help prepare you for all the independent study required for university. Better still, you could use the TSR search function to find the answer almost straight away :rolleyes:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
No, Chemistry should be your number one subject

OP, why don't you look online at various medical schools and research it for yourself :smile: It'll help prepare you for all the independent study required for university. Better still, you could use the TSR search function to find the answer almost straight away :rolleyes:

nope, Biology should.....besides the chemistry of drugs ( during pharmacology), you dont need much chemistry in medical school.......
Reply 10
It is not essential but if you do both you've effectively opened the doors to the vast majority of medical schools (subject-wise). Not doing Biology closes a few possible doors.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
nope, Biology should.....besides the chemistry of drugs ( during pharmacology), you dont need much chemistry in medical school.......

I agree with what you're saying, but I think the other user is describing how A2 Chemistry is the most important subject (as long with AS Biology) in applying for medicine.

@OP Some universities would consider you with only AS Biology, but the majority of applicants take A2 just to be safe/in order to be eligible to apply to the majority of medical unis.
Reply 12
If you are interested in Medicine, why don't you want to do A level biology? If you don't like biology, then perhaps you shouldn't apply for medicine anyway.

Apart from UEA (I don't think there are any others) then you need chemistry if you want to get into a UK med school. I suggest you do some research into it before posting misleading and inaccurate information.
Original post by hassi94
You can but you'll be at a severe disadvantage, and some unis won't take you at all because they only require biology or require both bio and chem.

Nowhere only requires biology. Chemistry is compulsory everywhere.
Original post by OP-MD

Thanks for any help.

Don't take this as gospel truth, though I know a lot of medics ect. I am not one:

My opinion on things is that in general A Level bio has very little to do with Medicine. The way of thinking is different, the way the medicine course expects one to engage in the knowledge of the human body is at a different level to that of A Level. Moreover, many A Level Biology courses cover significant portions of content which are irrelevant to medicine. Different Bio A Levels cover different content and as this is not standardised, thus I don't think many universities were as strict with A Level Biology as one would have thought.

The impression I get is that A Level chemistry is seen as far more important, not because of the content (which is again largely irrelevant) but because the level of thinking required for chem is a lot closer in line with that of medicine. Regardless, one getting into a medicine degree will have to learn vast amounts of content anyway, the equivalent of a full a level in biology is covered in about 2 weeks in university!

However, that being said, my advise is that for medicine, it is such a competitive course, that even matters which aren't vital become highly scrutinised. There isn't any point in risking not doing bio as there is the off chance that though not of high priority, when choosing between two highly qualified and deserving applicants small details become greatly magnified in importance. And doing a level bio could be the only difference between the two. So, in light of this, I would advice that you do take A Level biology, but bare in mind that it will help you very little in the actual medicine degree course.
(edited 13 years ago)
Most medical schools ask for A2 Chemistry and AS Biology - if you get that, you would be fine. If you take A2 Biology as well, you'd be much better off.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 17
You can definitely apply for Medicine - theres nothing stop you from that

I've heard from current students that its recommended you do though

Also for someone who said Biology should be your main subject...theres a reason why in America they have an organic chemistry exam as part of the application process to Med School and also the only A Level which is definite requirement at pretty much all UK med schools
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Apart from UEA (I don't think there are any others) then you need chemistry if you want to get into a UK med school. I suggest you do some research into it before posting misleading and inaccurate information.

why dont u kiss my As** and shut the hec up ..you obviously dont know much...What I am syaing here is that Biology is important for medical schools and even more important when you get into medical school.....is that misleading.....

Go masturbate or something.....
Reply 19
Original post by OP-MD

Thanks for any help.

It is not part of the requirement. That being said, it does not matter whether or not you take A2 Biology (but do take AS, some schools need it).

Quick Reply

Latest