The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Hey

Can i just say what an amazing story. It goes to show that hard work pays of.
i would like share my scenerio in terms if getting in to med school. Basically i moved here from sweden in 2003 and i have been to bad schools ever since. i did manage to get okaiii GCSE results ( AAABBBC + Btec diploma in applied science) however i didnt do GCSE science instead i did btec science. Im in my second yr at college in my jan exam i got AAB ( biology, chem, maths) all alevel. i have applied to do biomedical science and i hope to follow on to do postgraduate medicine. however with the change i fees i dont know what im going to do as I REALLY wanna be a paedtrician more than anything
some one give my some advice please
Reply 581
Original post by MECCA10
Hey

Can i just say what an amazing story. It goes to show that hard work pays of.
i would like share my scenerio in terms if getting in to med school. Basically i moved here from sweden in 2003 and i have been to bad schools ever since. i did manage to get okaiii GCSE results ( AAABBBC + Btec diploma in applied science) however i didnt do GCSE science instead i did btec science. Im in my second yr at college in my jan exam i got AAB ( biology, chem, maths) all alevel. i have applied to do biomedical science and i hope to follow on to do postgraduate medicine. however with the change i fees i dont know what im going to do as I REALLY wanna be a paedtrician more than anything
some one give my some advice please

you would get an NHS bursary for most of the 4 year post-grad medicine course so don't worry about the money but it is very competitive.
some unis let the best candidates swap from biomed to medicine after a year but it depends on the uni and you'd have to be top in the year.
if I was you, I'd work my arse off and try to get AAA overall. Can you re-sit any practicals from last year/this year to up your marks or re-sit any modules from last year that you could go up in. If you can get AAA then reapply for medicine in October and you'll have a great chance if you sort out good work exp etc
pm me if I can help more.
Reply 582
Original post by ImWithTheBand
x

tbh, my school was never really helpful even while I was a student. In my first UCAS reference they got my gender wrong in 4 different places and said I was studying business...wtf. Needless to say, my reference wasn't done by them this time.

I think I'm just going to sit the written exams now. Thanks for your advice x
Reply 583
Original post by manumvp
x

I'm just going to sit the written exams now, thanks for your advice.
Reply 584
Original post by conorcd
x

You are amazing, thank you so much. I'm going to look into getting a tutor. I'm going through a bit of material for chem but mainly doing papers now. How many should I be aiming to do in a day? (papers are 1hr 30 long).
For Biology, I am trying to go through the material and attempting to understand and remember it all (which is taking up quite a bit of my time) but I hope I have enough time left to do at least a months worth of papers.
Reply 585
Original post by Ulo
x

It is the AQA course. Unit 5 is quite scary :s-smilie:
Let's not discuss the shrews :angry:, although the stupidly low grade boundaries meant that I got a B :tongue:. I've got the nelson thornes book, I really wish I could take it into the exam with me!

Thanks for all the advice!
Reply 586
Original post by 916-CALL-TURK
x

Sounds like an excellent plan. Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 587
Original post by Pythia
You are amazing, thank you so much. I'm going to look into getting a tutor. I'm going through a bit of material for chem but mainly doing papers now. How many should I be aiming to do in a day? (papers are 1hr 30 long).
For Biology, I am trying to go through the material and attempting to understand and remember it all (which is taking up quite a bit of my time) but I hope I have enough time left to do at least a months worth of papers.

1 a day if you then go thru it carefully, and read up on what you got wrong. I used the q from the websites I sent you too. plus any revision books in my libraries ( most councils have a library site where you can search for all the chem/biol revision books in your area and order them to come to your local lib. it saved me a fortune and I only bought a couple of books from amazon (secondhand-the ones that are about each individual module were useful
Reply 588
sad but true, I also trawled thru the tsr threads for my particular exams from jan and june last year and jan this year as some people post useful notes/websites.
Original post by conorcd
sad but true, I also trawled thru the tsr threads for my particular exams from jan and june last year and jan this year as some people post useful notes/websites.

Are you all done now for grades this year? Did you resit your ISA?
Reply 590
Are you all done now for grades this year? Did you resit your ISA?

I wish! I'm 2/600 off! my Jan chem exams have gone for remarks and I redid AS practicals so should be fine. You?
Original post by conorcd
I wish! I'm 2/600 off! my Jan chem exams have gone for remarks and I redid AS practicals so should be fine. You?

Best of luck with finding the 2/600 marks... fingers crossed you won't have to resit another exam in Summer.

I'm all done with exams now I think. I'm on AAA (Chem, Maths, RS) and although I'm down to resit one module of Bio (BIOL5) in June, I've already met my Sheffield offer (AAA to include Chem) so I'm wondering if it's OK for me not to bother to sit the BIOL5? What do you all think?
Reply 592
Best of luck with finding the 2/600 marks... fingers crossed you won't have to resit another exam in Summer.

I'm all done with exams now I think. I'm on AAA (Chem, Maths, RS) and although I'm down to resit one module of Bio (BIOL5) in June, I've already met my Sheffield offer (AAA to include Chem) so I'm wondering if it's OK for me not to bother to sit the BIOL5? What do you all think?

if you withdraw by april 21st you should get your fee back! why take it if you don't need it? chill instead. I just sent off my F322 paper for re-mark as teacher thinks it should go up by 5-all I need is 2 so hopeful and then practicals won't matter. I thought they'd already all gone but she was checking them and decided to only send the one shewas definite about.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 593
Original post by conorcd
if you withdraw by april 21st you should get your fee back! why take it if you don't need it? chill instead. I just sent off my F322 paper for re-mark as teacher thinks it should go up by 5-all I need is 2 so hopeful and then practicals won't matter. I thought they'd already all gone but she was checking them and decided to only send the one shewas definite about.

Your school/teachers sound so lovely. You are so lucky (or I am very unlucky, one or the other)

Last year in Jan, my re-sit of chem 2 came back as a C, I wanted a re-mark because I thought the exam went fairly well but the school don't allow it unless a teacher agrees, my teacher said no. Then just before that years June exams (I didn't re-sit it) he said he just got round to checking it and reckons I could have gone up by a couple of marks, but that there was no point getting a re-mark now and so wouldn't authorise it.

As soon as I'm done with sitting exams there (it's close to home, so very convenient), I'm going to name and shame them.

Edit: I totally forgot to mention that I hope you get the 2 extra marks in the remark.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 594

You've met your offer so there's no need to sit it (although UCAS track won't say unconditional until results day). But...if you really want to sit BIOL5, I wouldn't mind letting you sit mine. I am obviously only suggesting this, because I am a very kind and considerate person :P
Reply 595
Original post by Pythia
Your school/teachers sound so lovely. You are so lucky (or I am very unlucky, one or the other)

Last year in Jan, my re-sit of chem 2 came back as a C, I wanted a re-mark because I thought the exam went fairly well but the school don't allow it unless a teacher agrees, my teacher said no. Then just before that years June exams (I didn't re-sit it) he said he just got round to checking it and reckons I could have gone up by a couple of marks, but that there was no point getting a re-mark now and so wouldn't authorise it.

As soon as I'm done with sitting exams there (it's close to home, so very convenient), I'm going to name and shame them.

Edit: I totally forgot to mention that I hope you get the 2 extra marks in the remark.

my chem teacher is fairly unhelpful but my brothers one is really nice and has helped me a lot. overall my school are great and have paid for all my resits, costs of getting to interviews and for a suit, plus let me just wander in and out to any lessons I need to.
its rotten that your school are so unsupportive. gt your parents to contact the councils education dept when you've re-sat. how is your revision going? can you attend any revision lessons/find out who else is taking the exam so you can study together?
Reply 596
school have marked my practicals and even being super tough on them, I've gone up from 39/60 to 52/60. I only need 41/60 so FEELING GREAT
Reply 597
ha! remark was lowered by 4! school disagrees but says they can't appeal it ! am miffed but am still 4 above what I need so I'll live!
Reply 598
Depressed at the fact i am doing 3 years at college (retaking my AS year) - Medicine is the only thing i ever wanted to do :frown:
Reply 599
Original post by moh.alt
Depressed at the fact i am doing 3 years at college (retaking my AS year) - Medicine is the only thing i ever wanted to do :frown:

its worth it. pm me about unis that accept applications if you have ext circs-some do, some don't ad you don't want to waste an application

Latest