The Student Room Group

How do you revise and not get distracted?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by liviluck

two years work for this. D: looking forward to the end of it! :dance:

hello sixth form! :wink:
Reply 61
Original post by Articaaa
two years work for this. D: looking forward to the end of it! :dance:

hello sixth form! :wink:

hahha sixth forms good (i'm doing AS's atm, but just came on this thread cus it was connected to revision haha), what a levels are you going to do?
Reply 62
hahha sixth forms good (i'm doing AS's atm, but just came on this thread cus it was connected to revision haha), what a levels are you going to do?

i am really looking forward to sixth form! :biggrin:

i am going to do maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and music (:

what do you do?
With great difficulty!

I'm meant to be writing a 3000 word research project. I have 100 words but have successfully watched about 20 videos on YouTube. I fail. Epically.
Reply 64
Original post by Laurah5498
With great difficulty!

I'm meant to be writing a 3000 word research project. I have 100 words but have successfully watched about 20 videos on YouTube. I fail. Epically.

oh dear :/ STAY FOCUSED!
Monster.
Reply 66
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Monster.

what? :s-smilie:
what? :s-smilie:

Drink monster. Stimulates brain cells (well all energy drinks do)
Reply 68
Drink monster. Stimulates brain cells (well all energy drinks do)

i have heard they are bad for you when revising :s-smilie:
i have heard they are bad for you when revising :s-smilie:

They're unhealthy. What do you mean "bad"?
Reply 70
They're unhealthy. What do you mean "bad"?

they make you lose concentration
Reply 71

what do you do?

ah that sounds like a really good combination:smile:
i do french, spanish, eng lit, economics, and gen studies. think i'm probs gonna give up eng lit at the end of AS though haha.
you staying at your current school for sixth form or going elsewhere?
hows the revision going? hahah :wink:
Reply 72
ah that sounds like a really good combination:smile:
i do french, spanish, eng lit, economics, and gen studies. think i'm probs gonna give up eng lit at the end of AS though haha.
you staying at your current school for sixth form or going elsewhere?
hows the revision going? hahah :wink:

I personally find English the hardest subject for me, i REFUSE to do it for AS :wink:
I am going to a different school :smile: it is one of the best schools in the UK and i am soo happy that i got a place :biggrin:
The revision has been pretty good, i got a bit distracted at then end, i have begun writing "revision techniques" that i have learnt, :wink:
I have made so many posters :s-smilie: its unbelievable, i have killed one of my new sharpie pens :frown: but yeah, i am making loads of posters for each topic :smile:
How's your revision going?

what do you do?

Same. Sixth form -> :woo:

Awesome subjects by the way. ^.^
Listening to music.

Going to the library.

Staying away from fizzy drinks.

Reading a book, and not giving a **** about anything around me.
Reply 75
I personally find English the hardest subject for me, i REFUSE to do it for AS :wink:
I am going to a different school :smile: it is one of the best schools in the UK and i am soo happy that i got a place :biggrin:
The revision has been pretty good, i got a bit distracted at then end, i have begun writing "revision techniques" that i have learnt, :wink:
I have made so many posters :s-smilie: its unbelievable, i have killed one of my new sharpie pens :frown: but yeah, i am making loads of posters for each topic :smile:
How's your revision going?

ah wow congrats on getting a place:smile: sure you'll love it! haha i know, i get distracted so easily :s-smilie: especially as I only have four subjects to revise, i can't really keep changing subjects because i can very quickly run out of subjects to do.... hahha
i'm making revision books for each subject hahah, because i like having it all in one place cus at the moment i have loads of different text books, revision guides and past papers everywhere so i'm trying to get it all organised:smile: but it's taking ages and some subjects are much easier to revise for than others! i find eng really frustrating, i guess i enjoyed the variety of having lit and lang at GCSE but now only having lit is really annoying!!
Reply 76
ah wow congrats on getting a place:smile: sure you'll love it! haha i know, i get distracted so easily :s-smilie: especially as I only have four subjects to revise, i can't really keep changing subjects because i can very quickly run out of subjects to do.... hahha
i'm making revision books for each subject hahah, because i like having it all in one place cus at the moment i have loads of different text books, revision guides and past papers everywhere so i'm trying to get it all organised:smile: but it's taking ages and some subjects are much easier to revise for than others! i find eng really frustrating, i guess i enjoyed the variety of having lit and lang at GCSE but now only having lit is really annoying!!

thank youu! i guesss, i am going to do five a levels, but they are all really similar so i am going to die when i have to revise for those exams :s-smilie:

I like to make posters as it keeps me busy, its quite fun to do, and i look at them without realizing so subconsciously take in the information :biggrin:

exams D:
I either leave it to the last minute or go somewhere where I'm away from the Internet (browsing TSR or checking stuff can consume hours...)
Reply 78
Original post by whyumadtho
I either leave it to the last minute or go somewhere where I'm away from the Internet (browsing TSR or checking stuff can consume hours...)

would wouldnt leave it to the last minute! :O
Reply 79
I don't know if anything I'm about to post has been said already as I haven't gone through the thread but hopefully I'll say something that will help. :smile:

Firstly, think about what actually stops/distracts you from revising and work on it. Is your house too noisy? Is the distractions of the internet/TV/your social life putting you off? If you recognise why you're finding it hard to revise then you can address those problems. If you find it too hard to stay away from going on the internet for example then a useful extension to have is something called 'StayFocusd' (providing you have Google Chrome). It blocks certain websites in a certain time period, e.g. from 11-3pm, meaning that you can't go on things like facebook even if you want to. If you do click on the page then it says in big letters "Shouldn't you be working?" which strangely enough makes me feel bad and I do some work haha.

I also find it easier to revise if I have full concentration. Since going on a diet about a year ago I've noticed that eating certain food makes me tired and lethargic, making me less likely to revise and just go on the laptop or watch TV. So when I know I need to get something done, I eat plenty of fruit/healthy things and have a bottle of water or fruit juice next to me and it really helps. You don't have to do this but it's just worth thinking about.

Also, do you have a local library near you? I found it really useful when my house got noisy to go there and sit down at a table with all my revision stuff. It also means that you don't have technological distractions putting you off. However, I find it hard to work in complete silence but sometimes sing along to words, so I put something like Radio 3 on in my room/ my iPod for the library and listen to that because it's quite relaxing yet makes me work.

As for revision tips... I use a variety of things. If you're willing to spend money then get something like "The Study Skills Handbook 3rd Edition" by Stella Cottrell - on Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Study-Skills-Handbook-Palgrave/dp/0230573053/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302723052&sr=8-1) - which gives you tips about how to revise, how to organise yourself, what to do on the night before an exam etc. It's mainly for university students but I found it really good just to flick through when I needed help on something, such as how to come up with a topic for coursework or how to manage my time better. I find it so good, as you can use it from GCSE right up until degree level! Also, use flash cards (question on one side and answer, in bullet points, on the back) because you can sit on the bus for example and look at them all the time and you gradually learn it without even realising.

Posters are good too! I have loads on my bedroom wall before exams - don't put too much detail on them though, as you won't take it all in! Just use lots of colour and pictures if you're a visual learner, and youtube has lots of clips to help you take things in. Just take a look and search for your subject, you'll be surprised at the useful stuff on there!

Oh, and take a look at this thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1375172 I It has A and A* revision tips on there.

Hope I've helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest