The Student Room Group

2012 - veterinary re-applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by u04kipfi0
Woah bit of a trek! luckily I'm at least in the same county!

lucky you! are you going to stay in on campus accommodation or somewhere else? :s-smilie:
Reply 121
Original post by jayy...(:
lucky you! are you going to stay in on campus accommodation or somewhere else? :s-smilie:

i didnt even no you could stay on campus! nah i think i might be staying at a friends in york, i dont know where it is in york though :s
Reply 122
Hi, I've been watching this thread and I'm bored of revision, so I thought I'd join in.
I applied to Bristol, Edinburgh, Liverpool and Nottingham this year but sadly no interviews.
Anyway, I'm doing loads more work experience before October (I'm off to an equine hospital next week, I can't wait!) and I'm going to work with a vet in South Africa in April 2012.
Reply 123
i didnt even no you could stay on campus! nah i think i might be staying at a friends in york, i dont know where it is in york though :s

yeah you can, its like £45 for two nights :smile: if you have a friend there stay with them though! :smile: i've never even heard of Askham Bryan college before this :s-smilie: :rolleyes:
Reply 124
Original post by Becky:)*
Hi, I've been watching this thread and I'm bored of revision, so I thought I'd join in.
I applied to Bristol, Edinburgh, Liverpool and Nottingham this year but sadly no interviews.
Anyway, I'm doing loads more work experience before October (I'm off to an equine hospital next week, I can't wait!) and I'm going to work with a vet in South Africa in April 2012.

Welcome :biggrin: Sorry to hear that you didn't have any interviews :frown: never mind, 2012 all the way :biggrin: How did you get your South Africa work experience, if you don't mind me asking, I'm going too (September) - EXCITED :biggrin: lol
Reply 125
Original post by totallyme
Welcome :biggrin: Sorry to hear that you didn't have any interviews :frown: never mind, 2012 all the way :biggrin: How did you get your South Africa work experience, if you don't mind me asking, I'm going too (September) - EXCITED :biggrin: lol

I'm going with African Conservation Experience. You're so lucky to be going in September, mine's a year away but I want to go now. I keep having to remind myself about A levels, and earning enough money to be able to afford it. :smile:
Reply 126
I'm going with African Conservation Experience. You're so lucky to be going in September, mine's a year away but I want to go now. I keep having to remind myself about A levels, and earning enough money to be able to afford it. :smile:

That's who I'm going with too :biggrin: Which vet are you going with? I'm going to Nsikazi with Dr Raath (I think that's his name?). It feels aaages away no matter when you are going I think :smile: Yeah, have to keep reminding myself when I come in from lambing tired out that I've got reports due on Monday - sucks :frown: ah well, all worth it in the end :biggrin:
Reply 127
Original post by jayy...(:
yeah you can, its like £45 for two nights :smile: if you have a friend there stay with them though! :smile: i've never even heard of Askham Bryan college before this :s-smilie: :rolleyes:

ah cool, ill have to look into that, definately better than the bus :s-smilie: ha no neither but im pretty tempted to do the tractor driving course there too :') haha
Reply 128
Well I am undecided if I will reapply?? I will be a graduate, therefore most Vet schools have increased fees (ridiculous). RVC says I need to get an A level in Chemistry, which may be attainable. I am very annoyed though as I will have a 2.1 Hons degree in Animal Science minimum, I am aiming for a 1st, and they want me to get an A level???

Now most of you guys are much younger, I will be 27 this year, so have managed to pull of good grades despite being out of education for 6 years. I am just annoyed obviously, and undecided???
Reply 129
Original post by misswager
Well I am undecided if I will reapply?? I will be a graduate, therefore most Vet schools have increased fees (ridiculous). RVC says I need to get an A level in Chemistry, which may be attainable. I am very annoyed though as I will have a 2.1 Hons degree in Animal Science minimum, I am aiming for a 1st, and they want me to get an A level???

Now most of you guys are much younger, I will be 27 this year, so have managed to pull of good grades despite being out of education for 6 years. I am just annoyed obviously, and undecided???

Reapply :biggrin: Just go for it! Will you regret it if you don't? If the answer is yes then give it a go. Don't worry if the chemistry A level is putting you off, it's a pain I understand but it'll be a breeze if you're determined. Studying something when you are older is much easier I reckon, I went back to school last September after studying Maths at uni for 2 years and went to study physics (which I have a standard grade (like a GCSE) and higher (A level) in), bio and chem (no qualifications in those) at advanced higher level (like 1st year uni). I thought at first that it would be reeeeeally difficult but it's been surprisingly easy. I think the change in age and not being in the school environment constantly makes a huge difference to every aspect of learning! I know it's not the same thing as I haven't left education and I'll only be 21 this year but thought I'd share and I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 130
Original post by totallyme
That's who I'm going with too :biggrin: Which vet are you going with? I'm going to Nsikazi with Dr Raath (I think that's his name?). It feels aaages away no matter when you are going I think :smile: Yeah, have to keep reminding myself when I come in from lambing tired out that I've got reports due on Monday - sucks :frown: ah well, all worth it in the end :biggrin:

Dr Kriel in Ellisras, I can't wait :smile:
Reply 131
Dr Kriel in Ellisras, I can't wait :smile:

Oooo cool :biggrin: I wanted to do one of the Shimongwe experiences but they were all booked for when I wanted to go so I agreed to the Nsikazi experience without knowning anything about it :s-smilie: They all look fantastic though :biggrin: CAN'T WAIT!

Had the best vet-related day ever today! :biggrin: (I say this most days though...)
Went to organise work experience at the racecourse and ended up with a part-time summer job and they'll even cover my petrol costs - woop! :biggrin:
First shift watching the ospreys and she lays her third and final egg of the season - woop! :biggrin:
My cat went missing last Wednesday (no woop for that) and the lady down the road said the cat that's been stealing her cat's food has still been coming in...fingers crossed it's my cat :biggrin: (we will be paying her the cost of supplementing my cat's diet of course :tongue: )
Has anyone else received their lovely feedback from Dr Lynda Moore at Brizzle?! It was so helpful- she's so lovely!
Reply 133
Original post by may bug :)
Has anyone else received their lovely feedback from Dr Lynda Moore at Brizzle?! It was so helpful- she's so lovely!

Oh yeah I did the other day :smile: was actually personal and got something out of it...not like the others!
Reply 134
Oh yeah I did the other day :smile: was actually personal and got something out of it...not like the others!

I havent had any feedback from Bristol yet :frown: I feel like Ive been waiting years! Did you have an interview there?

i know what you mean! did you apply to nottingham? I asked for feedback from there and it was just a sentence about how i was deemed less suitable at interview :/ liverpools was good though :smile:
does anyone know of any vet schools in america where you dont have to have a degree first and you can get financial aid as well?
Those of you planning a gap year, how are you intending to fit paid work around work experience? Are you going to do all your work experience in one go then go full time or space work experience out but go part time or something??

I'm in the middle of planning and at the moment everything's a bit all over the place
Reply 138
Original post by may bug :)
Those of you planning a gap year, how are you intending to fit paid work around work experience? Are you going to do all your work experience in one go then go full time or space work experience out but go part time or something??

I'm in the middle of planning and at the moment everything's a bit all over the place

Last year I worked full time from June till January but still saw practice in the evenings. Since then I've been doing WE pretty much whenever I can and am booked up till August. I then plan to get another job, preferably only part time as I'd like to see more surgeries, haven't seen any for months (plus, working full time at interview time is one way to make yourself stressed beyond belief). I'll be lambing in the spring when I've got free days and I'll be handing in my notice at the end of May, I've booked 2 months at a competition centre in Ipswich but I'll be living on site for the time that I'm there so I obviously can't keep my job here in Scotland.
Original post by kookabura
I assume it is the same as in lambing :smile:

Backwards is where the lamb (calf) is coming out back legs first. Whereas breech is where is the back end of the animal which is present (both legs are tucked back under the abdomen, pointing towards the shoulders). People sometimes refer to 'half breech' where there is one back leg present, with one tucked back.

Part of the problem with breech is that nothing of the animal will start to protrude, whereas if the animal is just coming backwards you will normally see one or two back legs starting to show and realise that is it backwards. With a true breech birth nothing else will be able to come out, sometimes you may see the water bag, but this can often burst in the birth canal. Therefore it can be really easy to miss the early stages of a breech presentation. The person observing needs to realise that the animal will not be able to give birth itself, and not just that it needs a bit more time. Generally speaking when you put your hand in you will just be able to feel the rounded back end of the animal, and sometimes a tail. It can be surprisingly easy to get this confused and think that a lamb has its head bent back and that it is the chest that you are feeling - so generally you want to try and find "teeth or tail" to work out what malpresentation it is.

The confusion comes about because often people will refer say that the lamb/calf was breech, when is was actually just 'backwards' as opposed to being a 'true breech', with no legs presented. Breech is obviously more of a problem, as like I said above, it can be harder to even realise parturition has started, unless you are being very observant. But it can also be much more difficult to correct. Backwards, with both legs out, generally just needs a bit of a wiggle and pull, and out it will pop. Whereas breech tends to occur due to lack of space for the animal to extend its legs (large single, triplets etc), so for this reason there will also be a lack of space for you to correct it. It will not come out until both legs have been extended, but this can be hard to do, esp without breaking/dislocating joints.

That was very helpful and interesting, thanks so much! (I tried to rep you but it wouldn't let me, I'll try again later. :rolleyes:) You said it was mostly due to lack of space, does this make certain breeds of sheep, for example, more prone? I'm definitely going to be reading more into this anyway as my lambing experience to date constitutes a measly 3 days, so I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed response!

Original post by Winter Rain
Well Kookabura's answer is pretty hard to compete with. But if you want to read more about lambing I enjoyed this website, it outlines the most common birth complications. But no where near as detailed as Kookabura did.

I've had a good read through that and bookmarked it for future reference, very interesting, thanks for the link! And good luck with your reapp, you're obviously very perseverant and hopefully you can get some good experience in over here before interview!

Quick Reply