The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
So computing isnt on the blacklist? So would my choice of Maths, Computing, Chemistry and Physics at grades A, A, B, C be fairly acceptable by LSE? I've really found it difficult to cut back on some uni choices as i had so many, and i dont really want to waste a slot by applying to somewhere which is going to near certain reject me...? what do you guys think? Thanks in advance, Sunny :smile:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 41
Your subjects sound fine. Neither of them are on the black list.
olliemccowan
ICT is on the blacklist, and that is considered as a more worthwhile subject than the more airy-fairy Computing.

How does that make any sense when ICT is on the list, and Computing isn't?
np187

because if they put the names of every a-level that was blacklisted down, with their correct names then it would be huge. for example you could do a GCSE in Media, or a GCSE in Media Studies and they would both be blacklisted under the title of 'Media Studies'. To be honest, i'm not really fussed myself whether you get here or not, i try to help so if you want to make your own conclusions about the precision of the blacklist then be my guest.
Reply 44
np187

Because they're different subjects.
olliemccowan
because if they put the names of every a-level that was blacklisted down, with their correct names then it would be huge. for example you could do a GCSE in Media, or a GCSE in Media Studies and they would both be blacklisted under the title of 'Media Studies'. To be honest, i'm not really fussed myself whether you get here or not, i try to help so if you want to make your own conclusions about the precision of the blacklist then be my guest.

I appreciate what you are doing, but I think your take on the list is quite misleading. The list is what it is, that is self-explanatory; it's not subject to 'conclusions' or any negotiated reading. So just as Business Studies and Economics are different, so is ICT and Computing.
ok..yeah i'm confused!
Reply 47
What's soo confusing? Computing A level is acceptable ICT is not.
Reply 48
Thank you very much for your help ollie...i really do appreciate it and thank you for time you give up in order for prospective students to gain an insight into LSE...and also thank you to np187 and xante for clearing up the confusion regarding the blacklist...really appreciate your help ! Thank you...Sunny :smile:
Reply 49
I dont get one thing. As published by the times, PEOPLE DOING ICT ARE LEAST LIKELY TO GET AN A AT A LEVELS - ONLY 6% GET AN A
Why the hell is it ON THE FREAKIN BLACKLIST.
izsushant
I dont get one thing. As published by the times, PEOPLE DOING ICT ARE LEAST LIKELY TO GET AN A AT A LEVELS - ONLY 6% GET AN A

The blacklist is not trying to suggest its far too easy to get good grades in those subjects, its more to prevent people from coming to the LSE without subjects they are going to need. For example, Maths is pretty much essential for most of the degrees, and something like Geography/History is liked for the essay-writing side, but if they didnt blacklist ICT, you could come to do a degree in Economics with A-levels in Maths, ICT and Drama and you wouldn't have any of the skills required for some sides of the degree.

As to why ICT is on the blacklist but Computing isn't, i do not know. My school only offered ICT, so i have no idea what the difference between the two is.

ollie :biggrin:
izsushant

What I've found from experience is that average A/B students do not tend to do subjects such as ICT. To give you an example: out of 40 ICT students at my college last year, there were 3 As (7.5%). However only 4 out of the 40 students (10%) came to the college with at least 1 Grade A and 4Bs at GCSE.

In stark comparison: out of 150 Maths students, there were 50 A Grades (33%), and 83 students out of 150 (over 50%) with at least 1A and 4Bs at GCSE.

In regards to the blacklist, Ollie is spot on. Art/Design or Drama has no academic relevance to the courses the LSE offers, so is therefore not as worthy as History or English Literature which are far more interconnected. I acknowledge this criterion, yet totally disagree with it. Someone who opts to do Art/Design or Drama, more clearly someone who does well in it, certainly has some passion for it, and it's not as if the skills gained from these subjects: the creativity, confidence in performing before an audience, etc. is of no value. I personally believe it reinforces the 'well rounded' candidate so sought for today. Nevertheless, clearly the LSE, and a large number of other uni's of the same standing, require foremost academic ability in A-Level choices - essentially as a grounding insurance to cope with their workload.

Following on from what I was saying earlier, there is another scale to the blacklist. Many of these subjects are essentially blacklisted because since introduction they have mostly appealed to the less academics. So through their performances and percentages not meeting the ‘ultimate’ A/B thresholds, syllabuses have ‘dumbed-down’ and in chorus, grade boundaries have fallen to that degree worthy of a 'mickey mouse' label. And there goes all credibility.

Sorry 4 the essay.
olliemccowan
that list is the ones they've blacklisted, incase there is some confusion :confused:

ooohhh the ones they've blacklisted *coughs* i knew that.. :redface:
hey if i applied to 3 different departments at lse for 3 different courses, would i get screwed because they will only want to give 1 offer due to that matriculation junk or would they evaluate me like a candidate who only applied to 1 course.......btw all 3 departments know that i applied for 3 different courses at lse
--------------
oh and i just faxed lse this morning with my debate and speech awards and it was 2 pages and probably 40-50 awards, do you think this would help for law since its rather relevent?
Reply 54
Here goes the debate about the notorious LSE blacklist again! Amazingly, this list now is not being applied not only to LSE but also to all the other "prestigious Univs". I always love it when my Law teacher ends his lesson by saying: "Yes, and the London School of Economics is saying Law is not an academic subject. Thank you for coming! Good bye!"
Reply 55
Got 8A*s and 4A's at GCSE: apparently they make a difference im told - personally i think gcses r a complete joke but wha the hey

AS: Maths A, Chemistry B, Economics B and Biology A

im predicted 4A's in those same subjects this year (mainly becoz i got 291 and maths and 237 in chem - thas y im allowed to take 4)

coz i completely ****ed up economics i dont think i stand a chance

do i?
Reply 56
ninetails
Got 8A*s and 4A's at GCSE: apparently they make a difference im told - personally i think gcses r a complete joke but wha the hey

im predicted 4A's in those same subjects this year (mainly becoz i got 291 and maths and 237 in chem - thas y im allowed to take 4)

do i?
You are definitely disadvantaged having AABB at AS.
ninetails

do i?

Did you release your AS grades? If so, then I wouldn't say you are majorly disadvantaged for you have the 4A prediction. Plus if you have shown a real enthusiasm for economics in your PS, then a B at AS shouldn't be as inferior to an A as you would believe.

If you've undisclosed your AS grades; then only an application to Cambridge will have any effect.

And yes, given the competitiveness, GCSEs matter a whole lot (an area of the selection which you will undoubtedly succeed in).
np187
What I've found from experience is that average A/B students do not tend to do subjects such as ICT. To give you an example: out of 40 ICT students at my college last year, there were 3 As (7.5%). However only 4 out of the 40 students (10%) came to the college with at least 1 Grade A and 4Bs at GCSE.

In stark comparison: out of 150 Maths students, there were 50 A Grades (33%), and 83 students out of 150 (over 50%) with at least 1A and 4Bs at GCSE.

Sorry 4 the essay.

Whilst i know you are speaking generally, i do want to stick up for the subject as not everyone that takes it is as low achieving as you are indicating. I am considered an 'A/B' level student, achieved 3A*s, 4As and 4 Bs at GCSE and got a B at A level ICT (i also took english, drama and history at A Level.) The lack of As at A level are not down to the subject itself being particularly difficult or the ability of the students that take it, its down to the inability of the majority of the markers to understand the marking criteria. If somoene is skilled in ICT, they are more likely to work for a computing company as opposed to mark papers as the former is far better paid. Therefore there is a real shortage of ICT markers with a solid knowledge of the subject, hence the lower marks and continual mistakes in marking. I was awarded a high C for my a level coursework at moderation when i was given an A by 4 members of staff and the principal of the college prior to it being sent off. When it was remarked, the principal realised the mistake and sent a letter to me stating that I should have been awarded an A but nothing could be done in terms of changing the grade, therefore whilst at AS level i received full marks for the coursework and got an A, at A level, overall i only achieved a B. The marking of ICT papers and coursework at A level really needs to be looked at more closely to prevent such mistakes from occuring again. Anyone that calls ICT a mickey mouse subject evidently does not know enough about the subject itself to comment and should keep their narrow minded opinions to themselves.

Latest

Trending

Trending