The Student Room Group

My brother bought an air gun.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
x

Just tell him to wait until he sees the whites of their eyes :lockstock::lockstock:

:sparta:
I can kill you 18 different ways with a paperclip. Does that mean I shouldn't be allowed a paper clip?
Whats he using it for?

I cant see why it would be a problem to post links, although to be honest I also cant see what that achieves.
Reply 24

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!
Reply 25
I wouldn't be too concerned. I assume its 12ft.lbs which is the legal power limit without a firearms certificate.

Subjectively they're pretty powerful and can cause moderately serious injury - and of course in certain locations like the eye, neck or temple it could be far worse.

But they don't pose nearly such a threat as kitchen knives, for instance. It would be difficult to do too much damage with an air rifle whereas everyday items such as knives and many tools could cause far more serious injuries. We all have access to potential weapons and almost everyone behaves responsibly with that trust. Is there really a reason to doubt your brother will?

Out of interest, what did he buy it for exactly? Does he plan to take up shooting?
I bought an air rifle when I was 18, got the scope to go with it as well and it was awesome! Carrying it home from the shop on a public bus was amusing.. probably lucky to get away with that tbh looking back on it.. :tongue:
Original post by Ferret Master
So to conclude, he owns the airgun legally, your Dad is OK with it, he understands he has to store and use it responsibly and has no history of violence.

You are worried he could flip and use it as a weapon one day, however to be brutally honest he could do more damage in a shorter space of time using a car, kitchen knife or a cricket bat.

Apologies for this being my first post but some things just need to be said.

FM

QFT.
OP, you sir, are a control freak.

Jog on.
Reply 29
Anon or delete because to me this is a pretty embarassing family situation and I don't want people knowing about it.

My brother bought an airgun a few weeks ago. I only found out about it a few days ago. Now my dad is fine with it but I take issue with it. Just to be clear this is a legal gun and my dad made sure he checked the website was a licensed one etc.

Don't get me wrong I had a bb gun when I was little that shot little plastic pellets out of it and could probably hurt a bit if you were close range.

Can I post a link on TSR to the kind of thing he has ? If I could it would explain it better but then again it's a gun so might not be appropriate.

This thing fires metal bullets and I'm fairly sure it could kill someone at the right range.

He's been given the speach about keeping it safe blah blah but I really don't trust him with it. He's never been violent or anything to the family but I'm really worried that if someone starts bullying him or something he could take it too far.

Anyone got any advice for what I can do ?
When I was sixteen, I made a bow and taught myself to shoot. I could have killed with that thing. Does that make me a murderous lunatic? I've carried a knife since I was sixteen, because it's useful tool. Does that make me a derranged psychopath?

Come on, grow up. The bullets are heavier, that's all. They'll just make a bigger bruise.
Reply 30
Oh relax op, i doubt they would do much harm unless your brother has a really good aim.

It's just a bit of fun, i always wanted one, but i wasnt allowed because my mum thought i might shoot myself in the eye or something. Wtf, like that would ever happen..sheesh! parents! They didnt mind me getting a bb gun though, but that was a mistake. :/ a very, very painful mistake when my brother got ahold of it, and decided it would be funny to shoot me in the ass with it. :frown: He then shot me again in a ass when i had tears streaming down my face, while jumping around screaming at him. I forgot what my point was now. Oh yeah, stop getting worried, unless your brother is as immature as mine, theres nothing to worry about.
Reply 31
Rather than keep asking if you can link it just link the air gun. If it's one of these replica handgun type things then I don't really think people should have these outside of Airsoft type stuff, if it's a blatantly fake looking peashooter rifle then fair enough he can take it out to a field and shoot at trees if he wants.
You're being too controlling about it, the only issue he would have is if he took it out of the home and say pointed it at someone for a joke. Having a bit of a laugh pointing it at someone in the street could end up at best with you being thrown to the ground by a very large policeman with a real gun, or at worst being shot by said huge policeman.
Reply 32
This thing fires metal bullets and I'm fairly sure it could kill someone at the right range.

You dont trust your flesh and blood Not to kill somebody?

Secondly. the things are tiny and hollow, you'd be quite unlucky to kill somebody with one.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
Licence? for an air gun?

Also, it's an air gun not a barret 50 cal.
Reply 34
Original post by Tootles
When I was sixteen, I made a bow and taught myself to shoot. I could have killed with that thing. Does that make me a murderous lunatic? I've carried a knife since I was sixteen, because it's useful tool. Does that make me a derranged psychopath?

Come on, grow up. The bullets are heavier, that's all. They'll just make a bigger bruise.

No, but i'm sure the police would be interested to hear about this :tongue:
Reply 35
Original post by U.S Lecce
No, but i'm sure the police would be interested to hear about this :tongue:
3" blade or so is perfectly legal no?

OP; calm the feck down
Reply 36
Original post by Logi
3" blade or so is perfectly legal no?

OP; calm the feck down

Not sure about the whole of the UK, but in scotland i think it's up to the discretion of the police officer. And the knife has to be a folding non locking knife i.e swiss army type. So even if it is 3 inches or less, if you are caught with it, you may still get charged.
An air rifle will do less damage than any sharp knives in your kitchen. Over reaction much?
Air guns do hurt pretty hard, depends on if theyre lead pellets or steel bearings. But if someone was attempting to shoot me with what looked like an obvious air gun, I'd smash his face in till the ****er turns purple... but i suppose if its for sports its ok.
Reply 39
stop being a pussy and go shoot some pigeons

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending