The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
So excited to have finally firmed King's :biggrin: I'm in the process of applying for accommodation but I can't decide what to pick! I haven't visited any of them and there's so much to choose from! Like everyone else I like the sound of the apartments but they're so oversubscribed that I don't want to get my hopes up ha, and I hear that sometimes they're not that sociable? Depending on who is on your floor.. Has anyone had an experience like this?

Anyone who's also going to be studying at the Strand, what accommodation is your top choice? SSA just because of location? I'm liking the sound of GDSA and Hampstead as well but for the latter I'm kinda worried about the distance out and getting home after nights out etc. Thanks :smile:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
I've been offered a place at Hamstead - looking to swap this for a place at Connaught. Get in touch if interested.
Apart from the Great Dover Street Apartments and Wolfson House, where else is close to Guy's campus?

Also can someone please link me to the online application form. I have my username and password but I can't find the link on the website.
Reply 623
Original post by i'm no superman
Apart from the Great Dover Street Apartments and Wolfson House, where else is close to Guy's campus?

Also can someone please link me to the online application form. I have my username and password but I can't find the link on the website.

https://accommodation.kcl.ac.uk/
Reply 624
Original post by jthlm
So excited to have finally firmed King's :biggrin: I'm in the process of applying for accommodation but I can't decide what to pick! I haven't visited any of them and there's so much to choose from! Like everyone else I like the sound of the apartments but they're so oversubscribed that I don't want to get my hopes up ha, and I hear that sometimes they're not that sociable? Depending on who is on your floor.. Has anyone had an experience like this?

Anyone who's also going to be studying at the Strand, what accommodation is your top choice? SSA just because of location? I'm liking the sound of GDSA and Hampstead as well but for the latter I'm kinda worried about the distance out and getting home after nights out etc. Thanks :smile:

I'm going to be at Strand too for LLB. I'm not putting SSA as my top choices. It's slightly off my budget. I'm looking at Intercollegiate Halls and also Brian Creamer.
Are you international or home student?
Reply 625
Original post by hingus2000
I've been offered a place at Hamstead - looking to swap this for a place at Connaught. Get in touch if interested.

You've been offered a place? I thought they only start offering in August.
Thank you. :smile:

I ranked the following:

1. Great Dover St Apts
2. Wolfson House
3. Stamford St Apts
4. Connaught Hall
5. Brian Creamer House
6. Kings College Hall
7. Hampstead Residence
8. The Rectory
Reply 627
Original post by yilyn
I'm going to be at Strand too for LLB. I'm not putting SSA as my top choices. It's slightly off my budget. I'm looking at Intercollegiate Halls and also Brian Creamer.
Are you international or home student?

Oh nice :smile: I'm a home student, English Language and Literature. I've been looking into the intercollegiate halls, they sound really good actually. I like the idea of catered accommodation (even if the food is as awful as people have been saying) just to take the pressure off moving out and living on my own for the first time, and it'd be cool to meet students from other universities too. I'd just be a bit worried that there wouldn't be many King's students there, I wouldn't want to have to go to social events on my own! Maybe I am just overthinking things as usual :tongue:
Reply 628
Original post by jthlm
Oh nice :smile: I'm a home student, English Language and Literature. I've been looking into the intercollegiate halls, they sound really good actually. I like the idea of catered accommodation (even if the food is as awful as people have been saying) just to take the pressure off moving out and living on my own for the first time, and it'd be cool to meet students from other universities too. I'd just be a bit worried that there wouldn't be many King's students there, I wouldn't want to have to go to social events on my own! Maybe I am just overthinking things as usual :tongue:

I am thinking it over the food issue. I heard food isn't that good. Which intercollegiate hall are you looking at? I don't mind cooking on my own but I'm just afraid it'll be too much of a burden in the long term especially during exams. I guess there is still quite a number of KCL students there. Just not exclusively for people from King's.
Reply 629
Original post by viksta1000

Original post by viksta1000
what are the 5 closest residences to the Waterloo Campus

I'm thinking of SSA, Brian Creamer, GDSA, College Hall, Connaught/International Hall

Are the latter within walking distance to the Waterloo campus? because I don't fancy paying for travel on top of accommodation? :biggrin:

Connaught/International/College are all walking distances to school, but it really depends on whether you are willing to walk. I live in Commonwealth Hall now, and I walked to school for the past year. 35 to 40mins of walking.
Reply 630
Original post by gi.
Connaught/International/College are all walking distances to school, but it really depends on whether you are willing to walk. I live in Commonwealth Hall now, and I walked to school for the past year. 35 to 40mins of walking.

How is Commonwealth Hall? I heard food in catered halls are quite bad. Is it true? It takes 35 minutes to get to Strand?
Reply 631
Original post by yilyn

Original post by yilyn
How is Commonwealth Hall? I heard food in catered halls are quite bad. Is it true? It takes 35 minutes to get to Strand?

well. it grows on you i guess. the only thing I dont like about Commonwealth Hall is the fact that, if one likes big study tables, the study tables in Commonwealth wont fir your bill. It has the smallest study tables among the halls if I am not wrong.

Food wise. Its about the same throughout all the catered intercolls. Some days are good, some days are bad. When they try to make Asian dishes, its particularly bad. Hahah.

Yeap, its about 35mins to Strand, if you are a faster than average walker. Its a little over 2km.
Reply 632
Original post by yilyn
I am thinking it over the food issue. I heard food isn't that good. Which intercollegiate hall are you looking at? I don't mind cooking on my own but I'm just afraid it'll be too much of a burden in the long term especially during exams. I guess there is still quite a number of KCL students there. Just not exclusively for people from King's.

I'm looking at ones like Canterbury, Connaught, International etc but I think International in particular might be way more than I can afford. It seems really nice there though. You?
Reply 633
Original post by i'm no superman
Thank you. :smile:

I ranked the following:

1. Great Dover St Apts
2. Wolfson House
3. Stamford St Apts
4. Connaught Hall
5. Brian Creamer House
6. Kings College Hall
7. Hampstead Residence
8. The Rectory

Mine is really similar to yours
Reply 634
Original post by gi.
well. it grows on you i guess. the only thing I dont like about Commonwealth Hall is the fact that, if one likes big study tables, the study tables in Commonwealth wont fir your bill. It has the smallest study tables among the halls if I am not wrong.

Food wise. Its about the same throughout all the catered intercolls. Some days are good, some days are bad. When they try to make Asian dishes, its particularly bad. Hahah.

Yeap, its about 35mins to Strand, if you are a faster than average walker. Its a little over 2km.

What about the shared bathrooms? Btw, do you have any idea how other halls are like? I'm very much undecided on going for catered or self-catered.
Reply 635
Original post by jthlm
I'm looking at ones like Canterbury, Connaught, International etc but I think International in particular might be way more than I can afford. It seems really nice there though. You?

I'm looking at Canterbury, Commonwealth, Connaught and International Hall as well. I like the idea of sharing toilet with one or two rooms in Canterbury. I find it much more convenient than having to walk down the hallway. I find International Hall quite pricey. I could still afford it but on a slightly tighter budget for other stuff. Plus, in comparison to the self-catered accommodation by King's (Brian Creamer), I'm actually paying around 7.90 a day for food in International Hall. Would not be happy to miss a meal then.
Reply 636
Original post by yilyn

Original post by yilyn
What about the shared bathrooms? Btw, do you have any idea how other halls are like? I'm very much undecided on going for catered or self-catered.

Shared bathrooms?

Hmm for international hall: that hall is just huge, so when i went there to visit my friends. I felt that the toilets were pretty far, and I think a lot of people use one toilet.

Canterbury: yeap its 2 rooms to 1 toilet in most cases.

Commonwealth: Our rooms are basically formed in a 'H' shape corridor. So on each side of the 'H', there would be 2 toilets: 1 male and 1 female. So in comparison to International Hall, i think the furthest person away from the toilet in Commonwealth is nearer than the furthest person away from the toilet in International. (if you get what i mean, hahaha)
Reply 637
Original post by yilyn
I'm looking at Canterbury, Commonwealth, Connaught and International Hall as well. I like the idea of sharing toilet with one or two rooms in Canterbury. I find it much more convenient than having to walk down the hallway. I find International Hall quite pricey. I could still afford it but on a slightly tighter budget for other stuff. Plus, in comparison to the self-catered accommodation by King's (Brian Creamer), I'm actually paying around 7.90 a day for food in International Hall. Would not be happy to miss a meal then.

That's crazy! I don't think I'd want to feel obliged to eat at the halls every day as part of a rigid schedule, because if not I'd be losing money or anything (though if I choose catered accommodation that's probably unavoidable). But then again it'd be nice knowing I have somewhere to go back to, and regardless of how much money I have, I'll always be guaranteed dinner somewhere! It's kinda crazy though how even with food included in the price of the majority of the intercollegiate halls, it's still cheaper than the self-catered apartments.

Ahh this is too difficult a decision, I'm completely undecided.
Reply 638
Original post by jthlm
That's crazy! I don't think I'd want to feel obliged to eat at the halls every day as part of a rigid schedule, because if not I'd be losing money or anything (though if I choose catered accommodation that's probably unavoidable). But then again it'd be nice knowing I have somewhere to go back to, and regardless of how much money I have, I'll always be guaranteed dinner somewhere! It's kinda crazy though how even with food included in the price of the majority of the intercollegiate halls, it's still cheaper than the self-catered apartments.

Ahh this is too difficult a decision, I'm completely undecided.

Me too!!! I'm completely torn apart by catered and self catered and the location of all the halls. I guess knowing that you'll have a meal ready for you when you get back especially after a long day would be really nice. Only SSA and GDSA is slightly more expensive cause they have en suite rooms. I think Brian Creamer is relatively quite affordable though.
Reply 639
Original post by gi.
Shared bathrooms?

Hmm for international hall: that hall is just huge, so when i went there to visit my friends. I felt that the toilets were pretty far, and I think a lot of people use one toilet.

Canterbury: yeap its 2 rooms to 1 toilet in most cases.

Commonwealth: Our rooms are basically formed in a 'H' shape corridor. So on each side of the 'H', there would be 2 toilets: 1 male and 1 female. So in comparison to International Hall, i think the furthest person away from the toilet in Commonwealth is nearer than the furthest person away from the toilet in International. (if you get what i mean, hahaha)

Yes I get what you meant. How's Brian Creamer btw? I have about 950/month for rent and everything. Is that enough? I'm pretty much ruling out SSA cause I'm thinking of saving to tour Europe. :tongue:

Latest