The Student Room Group

TSR's 2012 Tuition Fees Tracker - how much are universities charging in 2012?

Scroll to see replies

Edge Hill University to charge £9000 fees.

I've also added the University Centre at Blackburn College which wants to charge £7000.
A total of 139 institutions submitted plans to OFFA by the deadline last night, This includes 122 Higher Education Institutions (which includes Universities and University Colleges) and 17 Further Education Colleges. An institutions would submit the plans if they wish to charge fees of more than £6000 a year. OFFA will look at each institutions plans to see what measures they have in place to widen access to people from all backgrounds and may request adjustments or changes. All plans should be approved by 11th July.

There are a total of 123 Higher Education Institutions offering full-time degrees and 124 directly funded Further Education Colleges offering some sort of degree. Additional institutions may still submit plans to OFFA but they may not be approved before the 11th July.

http://www.offa.org.uk/press-releases/access-agreement-submissions-for-2012-13/
Royal Veterinary College plan to charge £7500-£9000 fees.

UCP Marjon plan £7800 fees.

I've also heard that DeMontfort University and Bucks New University have both announced their fees, but don't have an official source to link to on the uni website. Similarly, I still don't have such a source for Lincoln either :frown:

Let me know if sources for these or any other institution become available.
Original post by RK
TSR University Tuition Fees Tracker

For people starting undergraduate courses in 2012 universities will be able to charge up to £9000 a year in tuition fees.

Worcester £8,100 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-13142088

Plymouth £7,800 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-13145799

couldn't see them on the list
I did have both of them, but thanks.

The first was a typo and I'd added Winchester twice in the first table column - so thanks for helping me spot that.

The second is not actually Plymouth Uni, but Plymouth University College St Mark and St John (UCP Marjon) which I just added in my last post :smile:

Keep watching for more though and let me know as soon as the details are out :biggrin:
Reply 406
O_O Just got an e-mail saying that the UEA is charging £9,000.

Yay poverty! :biggrin:
Original post by RK
I did have both of them, but thanks.

The first was a typo and I'd added Winchester twice in the first table column - so thanks for helping me spot that.

The second is not actually Plymouth Uni, but Plymouth University College St Mark and St John (UCP Marjon) which I just added in my last post :smile:

Keep watching for more though and let me know as soon as the details are out :biggrin:

Ah right, no worries =)
Original post by Joseppea
O_O Just got an e-mail saying that the UEA is charging £9,000.

Yay poverty! :biggrin:

Could you post the email up? Thanks :smile:
Reply 409
"
2012 Fees Announcement

Enquiry Number: xxxxxxx
Dear Joe

Following the Government review and changes in legislation regarding Higher Education, I can confirm that we are proposing to set a tuition fee of £9,000 a year for UK/EU undergraduates starting in 2012.

We are committed to ensuring that tuition fees do not act as a barrier to those aspiring to come to a world leading university and have developed a funding package to reward those with excellent qualifications and assist those from lower income backgrounds.

Please visit our 2012 Tuition Fee website for full details of what you may be entitled to in terms of financial support from the University.

The fee income we receive is used to enhance students’ academic and social experience by investing in the quality of teaching and research, student services and a range of academic facilities. It also helps us to provide a range of initiatives to support access for all to higher education.

We have secured one of the top five scores for student satisfaction every year since the National Student Satisfaction Survey began and are ranked in the top 20 universities in the UK by the Guardian and in the top 1% of the world’s Higher Education Institutions. We are committed to our continued investment in the student experience from 2012 onwards.

If you have any questions about the courses we offer or how the above changes may affect you, then please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

Laura Thompson
Admissions Manager
Marketing & Admissions Services
University of East Anglia

"
Anglia Ruskin University to charge £8300 fees for full-time undergrads.
Original post by Joseppea
"
2012 Fees Announcement

Enquiry Number: xxxxxxx
Dear Joe

Following the Government review and changes in legislation regarding Higher Education, I can confirm that we are proposing to set a tuition fee of £9,000 a year for UK/EU undergraduates starting in 2012.

We are committed to ensuring that tuition fees do not act as a barrier to those aspiring to come to a world leading university and have developed a funding package to reward those with excellent qualifications and assist those from lower income backgrounds.

Please visit our 2012 Tuition Fee website for full details of what you may be entitled to in terms of financial support from the University.

The fee income we receive is used to enhance students’ academic and social experience by investing in the quality of teaching and research, student services and a range of academic facilities. It also helps us to provide a range of initiatives to support access for all to higher education.

We have secured one of the top five scores for student satisfaction every year since the National Student Satisfaction Survey began and are ranked in the top 20 universities in the UK by the Guardian and in the top 1% of the world’s Higher Education Institutions. We are committed to our continued investment in the student experience from 2012 onwards.

If you have any questions about the courses we offer or how the above changes may affect you, then please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

Laura Thompson
Admissions Manager
Marketing & Admissions Services
University of East Anglia

"

*suddenly has increased motivation to work to avoid those fees*
Bath Spa University is the latest to announce £9000 tuition fees - what do you think of all these institutions charging £9000? Why are they all wanting to set the maximum?
Reply 413
Original post by RK
Bath Spa University is the latest to announce £9000 tuition fees - what do you think of all these institutions charging £9000? Why are they all wanting to set the maximum?

Peer pressure ;D

But seriously, probably to cope with the education cuts which sucks really, as it's probably going to sever many people's chances of breaking the poverty cycle but hopefully there will be plenty of bursaries etc. to help us poorer people :biggrin:
Original post by RK

I think its the thought of being looked down upon. Any university that doesn't charge £9000 will be percieved as second best.
If the deadline was yesterday, why have some universities still not released their details. seems unproffessional to me.
Original post by ultimate mashup
If the deadline was yesterday, why have some universities still not released their details. seems unproffessional to me.

The deadline yesterday was to submit their plans to OFFA (Office for fair access) if they wanted to charge more than £6000 fees. OFFA needs to approve such plans to ensure each university is doing enough to widen access.

There was apparently no requirement for university to make their plans known to the public by that deadline - some announced their plans before, some after and still many have not announced their plans yet, but we know evey university will be wanting to charge over £6000 as we think every last one of them has submitted a plan to OFFA.
I wonder how many unis not charging the maximum are now regretting it in light of announcements from others?
Original post by LostInLaw
I wonder how many unis not charging the maximum are now regretting it in light of announcements from others?

yes, the ones that have offered lower fees tend to be the lower ranked uni's aswell so with less money they're probably just gonna get worse. It may be an opportunity for East London university, one of the lowest ranking that is charging the maximum, to overtake all the other lower ranking unis to maybe become an average ranking university.
Original post by LostInLaw

At the moment, I suspect none. Please ask the question again in 12 months!

Original post by ultimate mashup
yes, the ones that have offered lower fees tend to be the lower ranked uni's aswell so with less money they're probably just gonna get worse. It may be an opportunity for East London university, one of the lowest ranking that is charging the maximum, to overtake all the other lower ranking unis to maybe become an average ranking university.

Or will it mean that applicants go to South Bank instead. In reality it is likely to be more complicated than this. Each university is likely to have a different package of assistance for which there are different qualifying amounts. The real difference between the cost of attending different universities is likely to be much more significant than the headline fees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending