The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Everything has gone to the ****. Fun.
Meeting with my DoS now to give us first year historians a pep talk before tomorrow...

Apparently last year one girl said
"I'm really nervous, I don't know what to do"

To this our understanding DoS replied
"Pray to St. Jude. Patron saint of lost causes"

It is so good to know that my only hope is a Catholic miracle haha.... :frown:
Original post by ukebert

Original post by gethsemane342

Thanks guys. :smile:

Original post by Melz0r
Arrrghh! Horrid feedback! Don't worry too much, it seems to me that orals are a bit flukey (which can be good or bad, but it means there's no use worrying!). I recommend getting slightly angry, although you need a topic you can be angry about, I was really lucky to get the Far Right while my friend got GM food...

Thanks Melzor. :smile: I'm really worried that I'll get something really obscure and so I'm currently trying to stuff as much French current affairs into my brain as possible. Just got my French friend to teach me all about why everyone hates Sarko. :wink:
Reply 23
Original post by Melz0r
Arrrghh! Horrid feedback! Don't worry too much, it seems to me that orals are a bit flukey (which can be good or bad, but it means there's no use worrying!). I recommend getting slightly angry, although you need a topic you can be angry about, I was really lucky to get the Far Right while my friend got GM food...

Just to prove how flukey they actually are, I have a friend who got 70 in her first year oral and 51 in second year. It's totally hit and miss, all you can do is see what you get on the day!
Reply 24
Original post by ebam_uk
3rd year engineer here, exams start tomorrow :eek:

I guess we get the stress out of the way early on!

I keep on telling me that, but I still wish I that I could skip the next two and a half weeks. Ah well. I've actually worked for these exams as well, I really want that 2:2 :s-smilie:
Reply 25
Goodness me, really wishing I had made more of an effort (read: actually done some work) over Michaelmas and Lent for my Europe paper. I've just been organising my notes, and I only have two topics that I would be able to actually write an exam essay on - and even they need some work. I think I'm in this position because I really hated the stream of the paper I chose in Michaelmas, so only ended up doing two essays for it and with no pre-reading for them, so they only ended up being 2.ii standard. In Lent, I did more reading, but coursework ended up taking over my life, and so ended up only doing two essays again. Also, having just looked at a past paper, the questions I can answer are part of an EITHER/OR question, ie: Q3: EITHER Question brimstone can answer OR question brimstone can answer. Oh goodness :s-smilie:

Please someone reassure me that I'll be okay?! I'm counting myself lucky as I only have three papers this year to sit exams for - one is an unseen which will need prepping for only a day or two before the actual exam. For my S.E Asian paper I have a fair bit of notes and that's eight days after my second exam, so I'll have time then to prep for that :afraid: :frown:
Reply 26
Original post by ukebert
I keep on telling me that, but I still wish I that I could skip the next two and a half weeks. Ah well. I've actually worked for these exams as well, I really want that 2:2 :s-smilie:

Well, why do you think you won't get a 2.2? you may actually surprise yourself and come out with 2.1 ( or a cheeky 1st).
Reply 27
Original post by brimstone
Goodness me, really wishing I had made more of an effort (read: actually done some work) over Michaelmas and Lent for my Europe paper. I've just been organising my notes, and I only have two topics that I would be able to actually write an exam essay on - and even they need some work. I think I'm in this position because I really hated the stream of the paper I chose in Michaelmas, so only ended up doing two essays for it and with no pre-reading for them, so they only ended up being 2.ii standard. In Lent, I did more reading, but coursework ended up taking over my life, and so ended up only doing two essays again. Also, having just looked at a past paper, the questions I can answer are part of an EITHER/OR question, ie: Q3: EITHER Question brimstone can answer OR question brimstone can answer. Oh goodness :s-smilie:

Please someone reassure me that I'll be okay?! I'm counting myself lucky as I only have three papers this year to sit exams for - one is an unseen which will need prepping for only a day or two before the actual exam. For my S.E Asian paper I have a fair bit of notes and that's eight days after my second exam, so I'll have time then to prep for that :afraid: :frown:

Totally understand on the "damn you past self, why didn't you take notes properly?!" thing. This time last year I was looking back at all my notes thinking "Well this drawing of a cat and hilarious scribble is all very well, but could you not have tried a BIT harder..."
Reply 28
Original post by Mrs Cullen
Thanks guys. :smile:

Thanks Melzor. :smile: I'm really worried that I'll get something really obscure and so I'm currently trying to stuff as much French current affairs into my brain as possible. Just got my French friend to teach me all about why everyone hates Sarko. :wink:

I'd say if you get something really uninspiring that you really don't care about, just be ready to lie lie lie and pretend you do.

Mine was quite fun, it was on the morning of the election and they asked me if I was proud to be British and I was like "not this morning I'm not" and went on a little anti-Davecam rant.
Reply 29
Original post by Melz0r

Original post by Melz0r
Totally understand on the "damn you past self, why didn't you take notes properly?!" thing. This time last year I was looking back at all my notes thinking "Well this drawing of a cat and hilarious scribble is all very well, but could you not have tried a BIT harder..."

:five:

Normally I'd be telling myself, "Next year you WILL work harder and do proper notes and go to all your lectures dammit". But I don't have a next year, so what do I tell myself now?! :eek:
Reply 30
Original post by Melz0r

Same here! I'm sitting in my gown doing tort revision since it's the only way I'll feel sufficiently studious to get it done. :moon:

This came to mind:

Spoiler

Reply 31
My dissertation is due in on Monday and I am still confused by my own argument. I think I'm going to vomit.
Reply 32
Original post by Tortious
Same here! I'm sitting in my gown doing tort revision since it's the only way I'll feel sufficiently studious to get it done. :moon:

This came to mind:

Spoiler

This is my favourite work-related comic. I'm ordering a print of it to have framed and hang in my room next year :p:

Reply 33
Original post by Zoedotdot
This is my favourite work-related comic. I'm ordering a print of it to have framed and hang in my room next year :p:

Spoiler

I genuinely laughed out loud. :lol:
Reply 34
Over the past two years, I've only ever had exams in the Corn Exchange or a church near the Grafton Centre. This year, I've got two in the Guildhall and one in Senate House - but I've never been inside either of these. Does anyone know whereabouts we go for exams in either?

As an aside, I had always thought that the one time I would go in Senate House would be to graduate. Ah well, at least if I fail all my exams, I'll have seen it once :p:
Original post by brimstone
Over the past two years, I've only ever had exams in the Corn Exchange or a church near the Grafton Centre. This year, I've got two in the Guildhall and one in Senate House - but I've never been inside either of these. Does anyone know whereabouts we go for exams in either?

As an aside, I had always thought that the one time I would go in Senate House would be to graduate. Ah well, at least if I fail all my exams, I'll have seen it once :p:

For Senate House you go into the court area near to the start time and wait around the steps/glass boxes for class lists, or under the cloisters at the far side if it's raining. An invigilator will open the side door into the building ten or fifteen minutes before the exam and call you all in (the door faces in the direction of St. Mary's). Your belongings should be left in the small ante-area before the main hall.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by ebam_uk
Well, why do you think you won't get a 2.2? you may actually surprise yourself and come out with 2.1 ( or a cheeky 1st).

Heh. You may not be familiar with just how badly this year has gone. To put things in context, I didn't do any work at all last term for one of my modules, did half an examples paper for another and one and a half for a third... Michaelmas was slightly better. It was a disaster and I was predicted thirds and fails... I'm aiming for a 2:2. I genuinely think that a 2:1 is superlatively high this year, but I'll be happy with a 2:2. I won't have any regrets, because I've worked really very hard over the last month or so, even if I've proved that you can't learn an entire year from scratch in a month...
Reply 37
Original post by gethsemane342
Don't worry too much about it. Feedback should be taken with a pinch of salt. Last year, I had very encouraging feedback from supervisors such as:

"Your structure and analysis is bizarre and flawed. Your choice of caselaw is odd. Good luck in your exam next week"

"You're enthusiastic but you haven't grasped the basic concepts of tort"

And my personal favourite started with: "OK, you're not going to fail. BUT..."

And I did fine on all 3 of those subjects in the end.

Mocks are designed to go badly - you always do better in the real thing :smile:

Jesus wept...
Reply 38
I always want exams in interesting places (random churches/Guildhall/Senate House), mine are always in the Sidgwick Lecture Block which is both depressingly familiar AND super-uncomfortable.
Reply 39
Original post by ukebert
Heh. You may not be familiar with just how badly this year has gone. To put things in context, I didn't do any work at all last term for one of my modules, did half an examples paper for another and one and a half for a third... Michaelmas was slightly better. It was a disaster and I was predicted thirds and fails... I'm aiming for a 2:2. I genuinely think that a 2:1 is superlatively high this year, but I'll be happy with a 2:2. I won't have any regrets, because I've worked really very hard over the last month or so, even if I've proved that you can't learn an entire year from scratch in a month...

Well which module did you not do any work in - if it was 3E10? I am guessing there wasn't a huge amount to learn for that module tbh...

What modules are you most worried about, because I didn't get examples papers for 1 of my modules ( Construction and Management - hence didnt do any work for it in 1st term). I guess we are in the same boat :s-smilie:

I think I didn't do much work in 2nd term tbh either, I reckon a lot of engineering such as structural mechanics is based on intuition and knowing how to work through non-standard geometries... ie a lot of people who do alright are just good at exams etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending