The Student Room Group

Hong Kong University

Scroll to see replies

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
have you been?

No but the pics look good unless they have photoshopped them loll
prospectivEEconomist
No but the pics look good unless they have photoshopped them loll

fair enough :p: although once you get there the weather will piss you off and the last thing on your mind will be the beauty of the campus lol
Original post by Clomipramine
All universities in HK teach in English. For example, at HKUST, only a few (maybe around 3) humanities/social science courses each semester is taught in Cantonese/Mandarin. The rest are all in English. I'm sure it's the same at CUHK, at least for the math courses.

Is the professor you know involved in admissions as well? If not, there wouldn't be any worry in that regard right? I think NUS offers scholarships for international students as well. You might miss winter if you come to Singapore though. It's still 28 degrees Celsius here.

How's Norway's universities?

The same applies for HKU as well. I don't think any course except medicine would be taught in Cantonese/Mandarin as the Medium of instruction is English.
The only courses I remember correctly that are taught in Cantonese are certain tracks in the Chinese dept everything else is completely English. HKU was the Anglo university for the white HKers and the history remains.
Reply 404
Has anyone not got replies yet?
would have loved to go there, but parents refused to pay.... sad times. yh grew up there for a while and i gotta say it kicks london's ass in all ways possible
Reply 406
edit
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by johnn
Has anyone not got replies yet?

Are you applying through non-jupas?
Reply 408
I did, just found out I was unsuccessful. Oh well
Reply 409
I was accepted to IBGM a month ago, but most of my classmates haven't heard anything.
Reply 410
Nice, congrats!
Hong Kong's education system has changed.
It changed from 3-4-3 to 3-3-4.
What system is it in the UK?
hey all...has anybody applied for BENG in HKU 2011/2012 as a non jupas?
Original post by yeung3939
Also, HKU is in no match with LSE for what LSE does.

I would say overall HKU is somewhere below Oxbridge-LSE-Imperial-UCL, and above Warwick-York-Durham-St Andrews-KCL.

Totally agreed. HKU adviser will tell you no need to go HKUST and CUHK. But if you put LSE, the adviser will make a fair comment saying that you should go LSE even HKU wants you.

In Hong Kong, HKU still No. 1. I appreciate the adviser made a fair comment. This puts HKU to be No. 1 in Asia. Very good school and nobody will get wrong to study there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Anyone going to HKU this fall? :biggrin:
Reply 415
Anyone know the chances of getting into HKU LLB if its a second choice?
Original post by Tiramisu_
Yes it is good. Definitely after the recent university rankings were published by times (you can google it), HKU came out 17th in the world, ranking higher than Stanford! So I would definitely say its good if thats what you are worried about. I hear science and especially business are strong. Also career oppurtunities are plentiful in HK.

Be careful when you see those Times. HKU is highly recommended but definitely it is one tier below Stanford.
You don't need to sit any entrance exam.
Most if not all courses are taught and assessed in English.

By the way, you should really consider HKUST and CUHK. Their business schools are known to be better than HKU's.

Not really. The Alumni networks in HKU are much stronger. Go HKU and no others.
(edited 12 years ago)
I think in UK only Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, LBS are better than HKU/CUHK/HKUST for business.

You are correct. For business, Oxbridge and LSE are better than HKU / CUHK / HKUST.

Not Imperial because it is more engineering and science.

Do not know LBS. May be people in Hong Kong mis-related it to LSE since there are many schools named similar in London.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Interpretation
Anyone going to HKU this fall? :biggrin:

Not at my side since the one I know who got both HKU and LSE tickets this fall.

So go LSE at no doubt.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending