The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

2012 applicants to Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, Exeter, UCL, Durham, and so on

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ilustrius
Work for a year?

If I got onto a graduate scheme I wouldn't want to risk dropping out after a year and not getting another job, and if I was doing a non-graduate job I'd probably be earning about £15,000....which wouldn't be enough to pay for the degree + living costs, even before I'd have spent some of the salary on rent, food, etc.

I'm not desperate to do a masters, would just have been nice to have options. :smile:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
I was all set to say I would be applying to several universities in the UK for postgrad for 2012 entry, but alas, after reading the thread and being hit fully with the financial (and well, potentially research/career) implications, I will be applying to one program only. Slightly disappointing, but oh well.
Reply 22
Original post by angelmxxx
If I got onto a graduate scheme I wouldn't want to risk dropping out after a year and not getting another job, and if I was doing a non-graduate job I'd probably be earning about £15,000....which wouldn't be enough to pay for the degree + living costs, even before I'd have spent some of the salary on rent, food, etc.

I'm not desperate to do a masters, would just have been nice to have options. :smile:

Well take two or three years out then if you can't get a graduate job. -.-
Reply 23
Original post by forpolarbears
I was all set to say I would be applying to several universities in the UK for postgrad for 2012 entry, but alas, after reading the thread and being hit fully with the financial (and well, potentially research/career) implications, I will be applying to one program only. Slightly disappointing, but oh well.

You can only afford one program, or you can only afford applying to one program? Or both??
You can only afford one program, or you can only afford applying to one program? Or both??

There is only one program (in the UK, at least) I am willing to make the necessary changes in my expectations of what I can achieve/am willing to pay for post-graduate as it is a very close fit to my research interests. Though, if I find others, I may end up applying to them as well; I just don't think its worth applying (to the ones at very good universities but just aren't what I want really) if I'm not going to go if I get in.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by forpolarbears
There is only one program (in the UK, at least) I am willing to make the necessary changes in my expectations of what I can achieve/am willing to pay for post-graduate as it is a very close fit to my research interests. Though, if I find others, I may end up applying to them as well; I just don't think its worth applying (to the ones at very good universities but just aren't what I want really) if I'm not going to go if I get in.

Valid point. If you want to go into research, you're better off doing something of interest. (although you might also want to consider studying at a department that is excellent in your desired field as well).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26

I forgot to state - if I'm to do a graduate Diploma in Economics, I'll be looking to do an MSc in Economics the following year: which is equivalent to the MSc Economics that you're on about.

As you've put, the disadvantage is that I would have to do an extra year (i.e. the Diploma year).

On the other hand, it means I'll effectively have two bachelor degrees plus the masters (more of an intangible, self esteem issue that I suppose the vast majority of employers wouldn't care about though).

At the end of the day, as long as you're studying what you want to, the extra year's worth it.
Reply 27
I have a question.

I'm giving my second year annual examination now, but for personal reasons will not be able to give my papers in Statistics and Mathematics. I will be able to complete my Honours papers in Economics, which is held some time before the other two papers.
Will the universities allow me to submit an incomplete transcript?

I will be able to give these missed papers next year, along with my Part 3 annuals. So is there any chance I might get an admission conditional of the marks I get in these next year?

[Please reply only if you have some idea of the answer - this is really important!]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending