The Student Room Group

A*AB or AAA? Help!

Hey, I know that the A level standard offer for medicine is AAA for virtually all medical schools, but I'm just wondering would an A*AB be considered equivalent? Because, I'm extremely worried that I might get a B in Biology due to my poor coursework grade I received today :frown: I worked really hard on it, but obviously not enough. Also, it's not just the coursework, but the exam board I do is Edexcel SNAB biology and the exam is really unreliable because it's a new exam board and they keep experimenting with the format etc every time. I mean, for January, the grade boundaries were as low as 54/90 to get an A.

So, just wondering would A*AB generally be good enough? P.S. I will hopefully be reapplying this year if I get the grades! I got two interviews this time round, but didn't surpass the interviews :frown:
It won't be considered equivalent by the majority of schools (I think it is at BSMS). AAA is definitely the one you should for as A*AB will limit you.
You need to talk to your university about it.
Some might accept it, most probably won't.

Definitely check with them though.
Reply 3
Original post by Phenylethylamine_
Hey, I know that the A level standard offer for medicine is AAA for virtually all medical schools, but I'm just wondering would an A*AB be considered equivalent? Because, I'm extremely worried that I might get a B in Biology due to my poor coursework grade I received today :frown: I worked really hard on it, but obviously not enough. Also, it's not just the coursework, but the exam board I do is Edexcel SNAB biology and the exam is really unreliable because it's a new exam board and they keep experimenting with the format etc every time. I mean, for January, the grade boundaries were as low as 54/90 to get an A.

So, just wondering would A*AB generally be good enough? P.S. I will hopefully be reapplying this year if I get the grades! I got two interviews this time round, but didn't surpass the interviews :frown:

Well - you want to do medicine. Forgive me if I'm wrong; but I'd say biology is pretty important there. They'd surely at least want an A?
Okay guys, thanks :smile: Will just have to work super super hard now!
Reply 5
Just make sure you ask the universities you are considering next year each individually. But anyways you should think positive as you didn't had the exam yet and I've seen quite a lot of wonders when doin my AS ^^..
Reply 6
Uni's such as UCL will consider giving you a offer with grades like A*AB/AABB aslong as your personal statement and interview go very well, the pre-entry exam is pretty important aswell, just work extra hard and with abit of luck you should get in!

Don't blame Edexcel. I'm with this board too and my grades are just fine.

If a medical school made an offer of AAA in three subjects to you, that would mean they want at least a minimum of an A grade in each of those three subjects. A*AB would be the equivalent in UCAS points but whilst you met the minimum standard in two of those subjects in the eyes of the medical school, you would have failed to reach the required minimum standard in the third subject which would mean that you have not met the terms of your offer. Basically doing very well in one area wouldn't compensate for doing not so well in another area. This is very much the same at my medical school where we strictly have to reach a minimum standard in all modules to pass the year and doing incredibly well in one module wouldn't make up for only just missing the grade in another and therefore you would fail the year.

BSMS on the other hand do see A*AB as an equivalent to AAA as they still set their offer on UCAS Tariff points (I think?). You would have to look at the medical school websites to be sure how exactly their offers are set whether it be grades based or points based.

But yeah the point here is consistency and reaching a minimum standard in all three subjects so just work hard and get those grades!
Original post by Warrior King
If a medical school made an offer of AAA in three subjects to you, that would mean they want at least a minimum of an A grade in each of those three subjects. A*AB would be the equivalent in UCAS points but whilst you met the minimum standard in two of those subjects in the eyes of the medical school, you would have failed to reach the required minimum standard in the third subject which would mean that you have not met the terms of your offer. Basically doing very well in one area wouldn't compensate for doing not so well in another area. This is very much the same at my medical school where we strictly have to reach a minimum standard in all modules to pass the year and doing incredibly well in one module wouldn't make up for only just missing the grade in another and therefore you would fail the year.

BSMS on the other hand do see A*AB as an equivalent to AAA as they still set their offer on UCAS Tariff points (I think?). You would have to look at the medical school websites to be sure how exactly their offers are set whether it be grades based or points based.

But yeah the point here is consistency and reaching a minimum standard in all three subjects so just work hard and get those grades!

Thank you for clarifying :smile: Yeah, I mean I definitely knew that at the back of my mind A*AB is not equivalent to AAA nor will it meet the standard offer. But, I thought I should just ask just in case. Yup, I'm just working super super hard now!
Bristol.

They give out A* A B offers too I believe.
Reply 11
I have an offer from BSMS that's AAA or A*AB, but they specified that they wanted biology and chemistry to be at least a grade A even if I met the A*AB offer - so considering your potential B is in biology, you might have a problem there as well...
Don't worry though - just work as hard as you can for the exam and you'll probably be able to make up the lower coursework mark :smile:
If you have been given an offer that includes a B (i.e. AAB or A*AB) then it will be enough, but most (if not all) medical schools will look for you to meet all aspects of an offer, and not to try to compensate. The whole point of getting high grades, is to show an ability to copy with consitent high demands, and achieve well....not to slack a bit in one area, and excel a bit more in another......Not nice situation I know, but there you have it :frown: good luck
Thank you guys for the replies :smile:
Yeah, I definitely knew at the back of my mind, you can't compensate and that the standard offer is AAA, but I thought I might as well ask just in case.
Well then, I just have to work realllly hard now!
Reply 14
Original post by Speedo
Uni's such as UCL will consider giving you a offer with grades like A*AB/AABB aslong as your personal statement and interview go very well, the pre-entry exam is pretty important aswell, just work extra hard and with abit of luck you should get in!

Er no. Where did you get that from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending