The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Daisy Bank halls or Wimslow park? studying international fashion marketing (2011)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey, thanks for the feedback! Everyone seems to slate daisy bank in general so definitely looking at others. Which would you recommend? :smile:
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 21
Original post by bethxo92
I've been today to see them and spoken to a student ambasador and they've really put me off Daisy Bank by saying it's quite isolated and it's a ten minute walk from the nearest bus stop which could be quite annoying/scary if walking alone after a night out? I think I will look into going into city centre accommodation as we will only be in uni 14 hours a week and the rest of the time I think I'd like to be closer to the centre! :-) I've also been told that Wilmslow is full of older students and not worth the extra £30 a week!

Hey :smile: when I went up to Manc to see what the halls are like I spoke yo a few people who lived there, they were second years I think and they said it is quite a quiet place to live. So I'm thinking of Cambridge halls now because they're in the centre which is what i want, dead cheap and very sociable! I was looking at Wimslow cause its in a good place but the fact its so expensive and private now kind of puts me off!
Reply 22
Hey,

I'm studying IFM in 2011 too :smile:
I've ended up applying for Wilmslow Park through the opal website!
I know people at uni in manchester & i've been told Wimslow's by far the nicest & its in a really good location.
Sooo pricey but if i'm moving from London I want to at least live somewhere nice!
Going to be so scared though! :frown:

Xx
I have applied to study BSc International Fashion Marketing from September 2011 and have applied to stay in Wilmslow Park. It is still available but is not run by the University. I rang up due to having concerns and they said 70% of the residents are Freshers :smile: xxx
Reply 24
I'm so happy you said that! I was getting worried it would just be all like 3rd years or something! Xx
Reply 25
just thought i'd post as i remember coming on this forum a similar time last year before i started uni, and was appreciative of peoples responses. excuse my poor grammar, i'm not a writer.

i'm staying at wilmslow park at the moment, and i applied through mmu.

i read here that someone said it's full of older students, not true. as much of a mix as anywhere, but it really depends which block you stay in. there are alot of foreign students though. blocks a-j are the ones which you enter via the escalators and the security desk, which have 2 security guys on at night (if you have a problem, ie locked out, ***** above jumping around) - and in the day around 4 staff. it does make you feel alot safer knowing anyone who enters this way comes past the desk/cctv. the other blocks k-m (?) enter via a side entrance, generally the flats there have more people sharing (5/6) as a pose to (3/5).

location is great, lidl, londis, tesco, superdrug, spoons and subway all underneath you so very handy. 15 minute walk from all saints, 6 minutes on the bus. around the same to hollings. bus stop right outside and there's a magic bus every 30 seconds.

rooms, general facilities average - but overall slightly newer and nicer than cambridge halls and the like. bigger bedrooms and shared areas, but not massively. furniture and equipment everything you'd expect - basic.

they do prohibit things like woks, fat friers, shisha pipes, fridges in your room etc.. but hide them during inspection and you'll be fine. there's no smoking (baccy and of course green), but to be honest the staff aren't bothered- unless someone else reports you i suppose.

price-wise, i heard it's going up again this year. very pricey, halls is about meeting new people and the student life. if you can afford it, then go for it -but if your an average joe, it's not worth stretching your budget to live here.
Reply 26
heya to anyone who is going to daisy bank halls, or millpoint or cambridge I can answer any questions. also any MMU related questions too. hope I can help! Remember when I was coming to uni and I knew nothing about my halls or uni etc... or even manchester (im irish) but yeh..so ask away
Hey, i stayed at wilmslow two years ago but left because i didnt like my course. Hopefully going back this year. very expensive but im still going to apply for it cos its so nice! your doing the right thing.check out cosmopolitan too its only round the corner xx
im applying for daisy bank too im hopefully doing fashion buying :smile:
Reply 29
Alot of people mis-informed on here,

I stayed in Daisybank and I was jjust unlucky that I was put on a quiet block . The rest is actually pretty lively, plenty of parties aswell. Wilmslow is also a great halls

The only problem with Daisybank is that it is a little isolated. And trust me, not many people ,manage to get to a bus stop on a night out. Its taxis all the way.

I study fashion buying aswell so any questions feel free to pm me or whatever :smile:
ahhh man im stressing now, I'm doing International Fashion Marketing in September but I'm in Cambodia at the moment and thought I could just leave it but all of my friends here have already applied, I wanted to go to Wilmslow but saw today that its not run by the uni anymore, I dont mind paying more but do you reckon none of you are going to bother with Daisy Bank if its really quiet?
:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending