The Student Room Group

TSR Horse Owners' Society Thread!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ~*Horse_Mad*~
Awww you're soooo fortunate to have your own Yard!! That is an ambition of mine :redface:
Your Horses are absolutely gorgeous!! :biggrin:
I used to do a lot of Showjumping and Showing - though I've had a go at Cross Country, ODE, Dressage etc and really enjoy everything tbh :biggrin:
I currently have 2 wonderful Horses :biggrin:
A beautiful Dun PBA X Sec B Mare and a handsome Chestnut 1/4 Arab, 3/4 Cob Gelding - They're my Life :redface: :tongue:
I'm hoping once I've managed to save up some money to get a Trailer and go competing at Showjumping, Cross Country and Dressage - though I may start off my Boy with Showing because it's a great place to start to get Them used to being in a Show Atmosphere :smile:

Hehe, thank you :smile: I must admit, my coloured and my 12.2hh are my favourite. I've had them both since I was 8, (i'm 20 now).
Having liveries does have its downs - sometimes I just wish for some quiet and to not have to work out when the arena is free etc. :rolleyes:

You're a bit like me, in Summer we'll show, winter we'll dressage and XC..anything that comes up! I like everything but I think Showing will always have that hold over me.
Oh wow, you're so lucky to have a Dun. I love them!! Do you have any photo's?
Is there no one you could lorry/trailer share with etc? :biggrin:
Original post by **CutiePie**
Hehe, thank you :smile: I must admit, my coloured and my 12.2hh are my favourite. I've had them both since I was 8, (i'm 20 now).
Having liveries does have its downs - sometimes I just wish for some quiet and to not have to work out when the arena is free etc. :rolleyes:

You're a bit like me, in Summer we'll show, winter we'll dressage and XC..anything that comes up! I like everything but I think Showing will always have that hold over me.
Oh wow, you're so lucky to have a Dun. I love them!! Do you have any photo's?
Is there no one you could lorry/trailer share with etc? :biggrin:

Awww wow - 12 years, I can definately understand why They're your favourites :biggrin:
I've had my Girlie for 6 years and my Boy for almost 2 - we rescued Him :smile:
Yeah, I can imagine that'd be a pain - especially when you have 7 Horses!! :tongue:
Thank you :biggrin: I currently don't have any photographs on my computer as it crashed and wiped everything :frown: Once I have some more I'll try posting some though :smile:
There isn't really anyone to Trailer Share with as there's only one or two others on the Yard who compete - and often it's not the Competitions I'd like to go to :tongue:
It's ok though - gives something to work for for next year :biggrin:
Showing is fun, I used to do a lot of Showing with my wonderful little Rescue Pony when I was younger - but sadly we only had the pleasure of owning Him for 4 years before He had to get pts :frown: He was originally from a top Showing Yard, but, He'd been pumped with steroids and abused down the line and ended up very poorly indeed - we saved Him from being sent to the knackers yard. He was the most amazing Pony, and He knew His job - He won everything :redface: He was a real character though :tongue: hehehe. We still miss Him now, 4 years on :smile:
How much does a horse cost?
Original post by Rizzletastic

Depends on the Horse you buy, where you keep the Horse and how you want to keep the Horse - it also depends on whether you like competing or hacking etc :smile:
Original post by ~*Horse_Mad*~
Depends on the Horse you buy, where you keep the Horse and how you want to keep the Horse - it also depends on whether you like competing or hacking etc :smile:

What's the cheapest you would pay?

As a general rule, Horses aren't cheap :tongue: lol.
It all depends on your circumstances really - that determines what you can afford :smile:
Give me an idea of what sort of information you'd like and I'll try my best to answer :tongue:

Alot lol! Shoes every 6-8 weeks @ £60, livery which can be anything from £10-100 a week if not more! Worming every 6-8 weeks, vaccinations, extra vet care, feed which is about £10 a week hay which is 4.50 a bale where I am and you'll use a bale every few days in the winter.... Not to be taken on lightly. Buying a horse will cost you somewhere between £1000-£5000 depending on it's use!

I would always suggest loaning or part-loaning to start off with :smile:
Reply 107
Can i join in with this thread?

I bought a horse when i started my 2nd year at uni (going into third now!) :smile:

I do RC shows/ starting eventing this year... as well as planned a lot of dressage comps :smile:

Shes no superstar in the competing world but shes fab

4 year old warmblood x:smile:

:smile:
Ouch. Maybe perhaps when I come into some money.
Reply 109
nice
Original post by TSK08
Can i join in with this thread?

I bought a horse when i started my 2nd year at uni (going into third now!) :smile:

I do RC shows/ starting eventing this year... as well as planned a lot of dressage comps :smile:

Shes no superstar in the competing world but shes fab

4 year old warmblood x:smile:

:smile:

Awww, She's gorgeous!! :biggrin:
Good Luck with your Competing - I bet She's going to grow more too, my Boy is 4 and still getting taller, I'm going to need to take a step ladder with me everywhere just to be able to Ride Him soon :s-smilie: :tongue: hehehe
Reply 111
How hard is it to look after a horse when your at university??
Reply 112
Hey guys!

I have pics of my Welsh D - these were taken whilst he was with previous owner.

Also, his reg. name is Rotherdale Druid but Druid doesn't really suit him (he doesn't respond to his name so I can change it) I have these names in mind but can't choose...haha! I've also gotten in touch with his stud cause his passport has no trace of any previous owners...bless him, he's not even a year old (he turns a year two days before my birthday :biggrin:)

Caius, Cai for short. It means Lord. It's a variant of Gaius from Roman Latin.

Dafydd - means beloved.

Emyr - means King.

I think I like Caius! Haha but I'm not sure. Opinions?

ETA: I'm not looking for a third any longer as I just want to concentrate on my boys for now and concentrate on getting the Welsh ready for next season showing :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 113
Original post by Pheebs1201
No I havent seen it! I have heard that carrots can be really bad for lamanitics though which suprised me.

They have a high sugar content :smile: My old welsh A used to go loopy on them, needless to say I don't feed them to either of my boys, I learnt from that mistake a few years back haha!
Reply 114

My Welsh was in the region of £75.

Some ponies go through the auctions at like £30 each...they're ridiculously cheap through the auctions haha but if you don't have any experience, I don't recommend buying from an auction cause you never know what you're going to get!
Original post by Magic_
My Welsh was in the region of £75.

Some ponies go through the auctions at like £30 each...they're ridiculously cheap through the auctions haha but if you don't have any experience, I don't recommend buying from an auction cause you never know what you're going to get!

I suppose, like a car, it's the upkeep that is the real amount. I was never really going to get a horse. I was just interested in how much it would be.
Reply 116
I suppose, like a car, it's the upkeep that is the real amount. I was never really going to get a horse. I was just interested in how much it would be.

Yeah it is mainly the upkeep but it can be done on a budget providing the owner has some saved for like emergencies - I do know plently of people who have a horse on a budget, especially now in the current economic climate :smile:

Oh and for anyone else who's interested, I've named my Welsh. He's called Caius, Cai for short :smile:
My boy went XC with his loaner for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago. Before these photos were taken he'd never ever seen a XC jump, only ever show jumps.. he was a complete star, didn't look at anything and just flew! Sorry for the overload but...

Not my pony, but she is such a cutie I had to share aha

Reply 119
rich bastards

I hope your horses go rogue and eat you

Quick Reply

Latest