The Student Room Group

Some good aqa Biol5 Synoptic Revision Notes

So many people stressing over this exam! Seriously can't be that bad! Can it??! Anyway, check these out >> http://www.studentcreche.co.uk/showthread.php/265-AQA-Biology-A-Level-Biol5-Synoptic-Notes?p=725#post725

Anybody got some other tips on how to revise for this exam? The notes i've posted above seem to have condensed things - which is great. However, it depresses me to think that I should actually be revising from the AS and A2 textbooks page by page...
Reply 1
hey, the notes r rly gud but was wanderin whetha any1 had any notes 4 bio1 and 2, thanx.
Thank you!!!!!!

for bio 1 and 2, check out :
http://www.heckgrammar.co.uk/index.php?p=10312

these are really good for bio 1-5 =D
Reply 3
I think that website with all the notes about the synoptic essay also has loads of notes on units 1-5..
I'm not going to revise page by page, it would actually be impossible to memorise all of the information in the book! It's not needed anyway, the essay is literally a 'synopsis' of what you know, a brief summary, of all the main points. I don't know how I'm going to revise for it though.. might just do some condensed notes on past essay titles. Hows general unit 5 revision going? I'm on chapter 16, definitely the worst one of the lot!
Reply 4
Original post by silentgem
I think that website with all the notes about the synoptic essay also has loads of notes on units 1-5..
I'm not going to revise page by page, it would actually be impossible to memorise all of the information in the book! It's not needed anyway, the essay is literally a 'synopsis' of what you know, a brief summary, of all the main points. I don't know how I'm going to revise for it though.. might just do some condensed notes on past essay titles. Hows general unit 5 revision going? I'm on chapter 16, definitely the worst one of the lot!

We have just finished 3.5.7 about gene expression, I'm slightly worried that we haven't finished the syllabus(or are close to finishing it) and the exam is next month:redface:

There is a hell of a lot to learn about genetics, I'm going through it now and I'm already getting transcription and translation muddled up!
The best way to differentiate between transcription and translation in your exam is, to trancribe is to write so think of it as the DNA is being copied down in the nucleus and then migrating into the cytoplasm for translation. As long as you understand the basic meaning of transcription and translation as an aside to the biology application, you'll be fine.

The best way to revise for the synoptic is to revise thoroughly for all units that you are sitting this year really well so that you are going to be able to answer all of those questions. If you achieved a A-B overall in your AS, you shouldn't have to revise your AS modules that much - just practice past papers over and over again rather than reading every single page of your notes from last year as well. You'll be surprised how much information you've retained.
Reply 6
hey, just wondering .. is there a jan 2011 biol5 paper?
Reply 7
Original post by neverhide
hey, just wondering .. is there a jan 2011 biol5 paper?

Nope they don't offer this exam in January.
Reply 8
help?????????????? hate synoptic questions. Carbonbioxide in organisms and ecosystem?
Original post by BiochemGraduate
The best way to differentiate between transcription and translation in your exam is, to trancribe is to write so think of it as the DNA is being copied down in the nucleus and then migrating into the cytoplasm for translation. As long as you understand the basic meaning of transcription and translation as an aside to the biology application, you'll be fine.

The best way to revise for the synoptic is to revise thoroughly for all units that you are sitting this year really well so that you are going to be able to answer all of those questions. If you achieved a A-B overall in your AS, you shouldn't have to revise your AS modules that much - just practice past papers over and over again rather than reading every single page of your notes from last year as well. You'll be surprised how much information you've retained.

I got a high B overall..to revise Biol5 do you advice that I do some AS papers? Also any idea on where I can find past papers from the old spec?? Thanks in advance.
Original post by inspired
So many people stressing over this exam! Seriously can't be that bad! Can it??! Anyway, check these out >> http://www.studentcreche.co.uk/showthread.php/265-AQA-Biology-A-Level-Biol5-Synoptic-Notes?p=725#post725

Anybody got some other tips on how to revise for this exam? The notes i've posted above seem to have condensed things - which is great. However, it depresses me to think that I should actually be revising from the AS and A2 textbooks page by page...

the link won't work. help please

Quick Reply

Latest