The Student Room Group

Oxford Medicine Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Originally, I was going to apply to Cambridge for Medicine, however they were very strict upon saying that 90% of their applicants have 3 Science/Maths A2 levels in order to be made an offer.

The Oxford Medicine website says
As long as you satisfy the profile we give as essential for entry, any choices above and beyond that are up to you. Some applicants choose to take all science/maths subjects, whilst other applicants prefer to broaden their education by choosing one or more arts or social science subject. Both are acceptable.

You should choose the third subject that most interests you and in which you expect to do best at A-Level.

Currently at AS I take Chemistry, Biology, History, Business Studies and Critical Thinking.
So does this mean that for my A2s I could take Chemistry, Biology, and keep History, and still have a chance at getting an Oxford interview for medicine?

I never took Maths or Physics at AS as I disliked both at GCSE's. I was perfectly capable of them, but I disliked the subjects and felt I only did well thanks to my teachers and sheer determination, not my enthusiasm.

I know Oxford shortlist in a completely different way to Cambridge, based on GCSE's and BMAT score. I got 10/10 A*s in my GCSEs so I think Oxford will be much more suited to me.

Any help is greatly appreciated :smile:
yeah I would say Oxford is more to your liking. However maybe taking up As Maths/Physics next year could strengthen your application...
But I still think you could get an interview carrying those subjects on..just more likely with As maths/physics maybe..
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by racheatworld
Originally, I was going to apply to Cambridge for Medicine, however they were very strict upon saying that 90% of their applicants have 3 Science/Maths A2 levels in order to be made an offer.

The Oxford Medicine website says

Currently at AS I take Chemistry, Biology, History, Business Studies and Critical Thinking.
So does this mean that for my A2s I could take Chemistry, Biology, and keep History, and still have a chance at getting an Oxford interview for medicine?

I never took Maths or Physics at AS as I disliked both at GCSE's. I was perfectly capable of them, but I disliked the subjects and felt I only did well thanks to my teachers and sheer determination, not my enthusiasm.

I know Oxford shortlist in a completely different way to Cambridge, based on GCSE's and BMAT score. I got 10/10 A*s in my GCSEs so I think Oxford will be much more suited to me.

Any help is greatly appreciated :smile:

In terms of applications, you are in a strong position for applying to Oxford. Clearly a huge amount comes from BMAT and interview though (for both universities).
Thank-you for your help. I'm much more optimistic now, as I thought Oxford would have the same, strict criteria as Cambridge.

With regards to Insanity154, I think I will definitely drop Business Studies at the end of this AS year and take a Maths AS next year, to make sure that my Maths skills don't decay and to give myself an advantage.
Can someone please tell me roughly on how hard is it to get in? like grades, etc.

Thanks in advance
Original post by a-levelstudent
Can someone please tell me roughly on how hard is it to get in? like grades, etc.

Thanks in advance

I'm not an applicant myself but you'll need AAA for any Oxford course, and I believe they're considering asking for A*AA next year. You'll need top grades; you'll be competing against applicants who are predicted A*s.

You'll need everything you need for other medical schools. Do lots of work experience; that appears to be the key. A girl in my year got an offer from Worcester College to do Medicine and she did so much work experience. Another girl I know applying for Medicine has 7 AS Levels, all of them As, and got 4 rejections because she didn't have enough work experience. Try to arrange placements at hospitals or in GP surgeries.

And then obviously you'll have the Oxford entrance exam and the UKCAT, which I know nothing about but plenty of other people on here do so ask around to see what the best way of revising for these is, e.g. finding practise papers online and doing those.

All medical schools are competitive. Concentrate on making your Personal Statement as brilliant as you can (I get the impression that medicine is one of the subjects where extra-curriculars are quite important), get loads of work experience, do practise interviews at school and make sure you can get straight As and A*s. Good luck!
not the UKCAT... you need the BMAT for oxford.... which requires special care :smile:
Cheers both of you for the info :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by a-levelstudent
Cheers both of you for the info :smile:

Hi

You're in luck - Oxford medicine is pretty much the only course in the country to release detailed statistics about those that apply, available here.

As has been said, work experience IS very important, although actually less important than it is for other unis (where it is absolutely crucial). If you can get an interview, great importance is attached to that.

Have fun reading!
Original post by nexttime
Hi

You're in luck - Oxford medicine is pretty much the only course in the country to release detailed statistics about those that apply, available here.

As has been said, work experience IS very important, although actually less important than it is for other unis (where it is absolutely crucial). If you can get an interview, great importance is attached to that.

Have fun reading!

WOW jus looked at it, thanks so much the link has so much infos. :smile:
Cambridge does but in Oxford's entry Requirements it's stated Chemistry and (Biology/Maths/Physics)

I want to drop maths next year (and continue with Bio, Chem and English lang & lit) so will the applicants offering 3 Science/Maths A-Levels have an advantage over me?
Reply 91
nope. look on the medstats bit of the website - it goes into a-level breakdowns from applicants and offer holders.

fyi, you only need two science subjects at oxford med.
You should probably keep all four subjects as you're applying for medicine so most applicants will have four A levels atleast.
Reply 93
Original post by A level Az
You should probably keep all four subjects as you're applying for medicine so most applicants will have four A levels atleast.

no. bmat is the important bit, not having 4 a-levels.

op - what is your %A* at GCSE?
GCSEs (2009-2010). (I went to school in the Ghetto - will Oxford also take that into consideration?)

English Language (A*), English Literature (A*), Biology (A*), Chemistry (A*), Physics (A), Mathematics (A), History (A*), Urdu (A*), Citizenship - short course (A*), Religious Education –short course (A*), Physical Education Short course (B), Art and Design: Fine Art (A), Statistics (A)

BTEC National Diploma in I.C.T (Distinction).

I WANT TO APPLY FOR MEDICINE:smile:
Original post by Organ

GCSEs (2009-2010). (I went to school in the Ghetto - will Oxford also take that into consideration?)
English Language (A*), English Literature (A*), Biology (A*), Chemistry (A*), Physics (A), Mathematics (A), History (A*), Urdu (A*), Citizenship - short course (A*), Religious Education –short course (A*), Physical Education Short course (B), Art and Design: Fine Art (A), Statistics (A)

BTEC National Diploma in I.C.T (Distinction).
Original post by Organ

I didn't say it was important, I just said that most people do 4 so doing 3 isn't exactly better.
Original post by Rachel Pakistan
Cambridge does but in Oxford's entry Requirements it's stated Chemistry and (Biology/Maths/Physics)

I want to drop maths next year (and continue with Bio, Chem and English lang & lit) so will the applicants offering 3 Science/Maths A-Levels have an advantage over me?

No Maths is not compulsory for Medicine at any Medical School in the UK.
Reply 98
Original post by A level Az
I didn't say it was important, I just said that most people do 4 so doing 3 isn't exactly better.

doesn't really make a difference. the interview shortlist is GCSE%A* and BMAT score.

The mean BMAT score was 55% (51% in 2009), which increased following short-listing to 66% (62% in 2009).

The mean proportion of A* at GCSE was 0.73 (0.72 in 2009); this rose for those short-listed, to 0.89 (0.88 in 2009).

following that - interview performance is key - the number of A2 subjects taken isn't important.
Reply 99
misunderstanding... and then they move my post here... anyway ignore this
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply