The Student Room Group

Are student accomodations on campus very noisy?

I have ADD which means that I lose my concentration very easily if I can hear people talking or even very quiet noises distract me.

Would this be a problem when I go to Uni? I plan to live on-site and if I am doing any work, I don't want to lose my concentration by hearing people shouting and partying nearby.

Do you have any ideas how I could prevent this?
Go to the library to work.

Also it's kinda luck of the draw as to whether you get put near noisy people or not. Obviously when applying look at halls, there is normally one hall which everyone acknowledges is the party hall, don't apply there :smile:

And if you do get bad luck, ask to move room :smile:
Reply 2
Good luck sleeping before 3am.
It's pot luck really. Try to contact your uni's disability team, they may be able to arrange for you to be near 'quieter' people, or in a quieter hall.

If not, the library will be your best friend :smile:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Go to the library to work.

Also it's kinda luck of the draw as to whether you get put near noisy people or not. Obviously when applying look at halls, there is normally one hall which everyone acknowledges is the party hall, don't apply there :smile:

And if you do get bad luck, ask to move room :smile:

I thought you choose which accodmodation you want to apply in?

Original post by Pendulum
Good luck sleeping before 3am.

Your not even slightly funny
Every single person I know of at any uni experiences fire alarms, so be prepared for them.
Unless you're in private halls and ask to be put with mature/postgrads, you're likely to experience some level of noise.
Reply 6
Original post by hamburgerandbeans

Your not even slightly funny

You think I'm kidding? Bless you.

In my first year the average time getting to bed would be about 3/4am thanks to general partying, music playing, arguments, people coming back from nights out etc, even if I wasn't the one going out. Not to mention the fire alarms at 3-6am at least once a week.
Reply 7
Usually the walls are so thin in halls that you can hear someone sneeze in the next corridor. There's constant noise with doors opening and closing, music occasionally and people who find it ok to conduct their social lives in the corridor. I would contact the uni about your ADD and see if there's anything they can do.
Original post by hamburgerandbeans
I thought you choose which accodmodation you want to apply in?

Yes but your corridor might be noisy, your neighbour might be noisy! You can't choose that!
Reply 9
get a decent pair of noise cancelling headphones and when you need to work just put them in and shut out the world
Reply 10
Original post by bpb123
get a decent pair of noise cancelling headphones and when you need to work just put them in and shut out the world

best idea ever :biggrin:
ear plugs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending