The Student Room Group

Do you reccomend going on a gap year before or after Uni?

I definately want to go to Uni and possibly want to go on a gap year (the reason why it is only a 'possibly' is because it will probably be expensive going on a gap year and then on top of this Uni is mega expensive as well!!). I was thinking, if I went on a gap year... would it be best to do it before or after Uni?

I hope to go to travel to many different countries accross the world and experience different cultures. I want to work in sport so I could maybe go to places like Brazil and South Africa as they are quite run-down but passionate about football. Possibly also Australia/New Zeland because there are sports opportunites there, I know people there, nice weather etc.

Scroll to see replies

Anyone going to answer...... is it better to go on a gap year BEFORE or AFTER uni??????????
Before.
Reply 3
both :cool:
Reply 4
I'm planning on doing mine after because I really don't want to spend an extra £6k a year for what would be the same degree. Also, for maths, they don't like you to take a year out.
Reply 5
Both :biggrin:
Original post by georgia

Original post by bzly
both :cool:

Original post by georgia
Both :biggrin:

I am either going to do it before or afterwards, so if you had to choose only one, which would you recommend?
Reply 7
I'm going to do one after uni, was planning to anyway really but the fee increase has made it more of a certainty
At any other time I would have said before, but because of the tuition fees rise, I have to say it'd be better to do it afterwards. You do realise, if you do it before, going to uni will cost you an extra £9000-£18000 right?
I'm having a year's travelling in America AFTER my degree. Just because it's a weight off my shoulders to know that I have qualifications for when I get back.. plus fingers crossed I'll be able to get a little bit of Psychology related work experience while I'm on my travels, which can only be a good thing!
Reply 10
Original post by hamburgerandbeans
I am either going to do it before or afterwards, so if you had to choose only one, which would you recommend?

It totally depends on you. I went before, and definitely benefited from it - i felt more ready to go to uni when I got back, and if I'd gone straight after A-levels I wouldn't have done as well because I wouldn't have had a long enough break from 3 years of stressful exams and just generally tonnes of work, which I don't enjoy.

On the other hand, you'll probably spend a lot of time wishing you were still on your gap year and thinking how crap uni is in comparison.

But you can see how that can be reversed as well - so think about what you would prefer, because its about how you're going to react to either going to uni or taking a whole year off.
Original post by Chucklefiend
At any other time I would have said before, but because of the tuition fees rise, I have to say it'd be better to do it afterwards. You do realise, if you do it before, going to uni will cost you an extra £9000-£18000 right?

Well I am in the first year at College at the moment so I think that I would have to pay the extra £9000-£18000 regardless of if I do a gap year or not! Correct me if I am wrong here as I am not certain.
Reply 12

Well I took two years off before this degree and I highly recommend it. Gives you time and space outside of education to gain perspective. However I wouldn't want to pay the ridiculously high fees that are coming up.....
Well I am in the first year at College at the moment so I think that I would have to pay the extra £9000-£18000 regardless of if I do a gap year or not! Correct me if I am wrong here as I am not certain.

Sorry, I assumed you were a second year A level student. But yes, I'm afraid you are correct, applicants from 2012 onwards will be subject to the higher fees.
Reply 14
Before. I had one before i came to uni and it was the best decision i ever made. :biggrin:
i'm going after, firstly because of the rise in fees i'd have to pay if i went for 2012 entry instead of 2011 entry, and also i don't think i'd want to go back into studying after a year out. i think i'd appreciate it more afterwards and hopefully have more options for temp jobs along the way :smile:
Reply 16
i went on a gap year before Uni. It helped me with costs and living away from home. Its up 2 you a and you can always decide at the last minute to take a gap year, I only decided 4 months before I started Uni.
Reply 17
I think that it depends. If you think that you will need to get a job to fund your uni fees straight away then going before uni is best.

However, if you aren't bothered about paying uni fees straight away then a gap year can then a way of getting jobs and working with lots of different people. All of which employers will love.

Overall, I think that it is best to go before (which is what I am going to do) because it give you a chance to step away from education for a bit which will probably be beneficial in the long term.
I'm going after, because then I pretty much have unlimited time to travel wherever I want - I'm planning to get working visa's for various places to earn money, and slumming it when I'm low on cash. Also, I didn't think I was mature enough to cope with being in a foriegn country alone, so I'd rather learn to be a responsible adult in uni where everyone speaks my language and my parents are only a few hours away :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Before cos then you can brag to everyone about how cultured you've become by watching lepers and how you've found yourself and chundered or whatever.x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending